Birmingham City v Newcastle United Tuesday 15th February 19:45

QBG

I wish someone could find a statistic for it, but in the last 4 - 5 years we have had pretty a pretty terrible run in regard to former players scoring agaisnt us.

1-1, with a Martins bullet and a Nolan tap-in

I wish someone could find a statistic for it, but in the last 4 - 5 years we have had pretty a pretty terrible run in regard to former players scoring agaisnt us.

4 goals against by former players this season alone.

Really?

Zog x 2, Duff, and? oh aye Paddy van.

Really?

Zog x 2, Duff, and? oh aye Paddy van.

Aye, 5 in the relegation season as well.

All this slagging of Martins while we are starting with Best and Lovenkrands is making me nervous. The term "asking for it" comes to mind.

Agreed. Not to mention most of the slagging-off is nonsense anyway. He's a cunt and a mercenary for fucking off at that time, just like Owen and co, but as a striker Martins is one of the best we've had in the Premier League. Great striker on his day but probably didn't have the brain to make it consistent. He was just as superb under Keegan as the likes of Owen, Barton and Beye were.

Guest Tall Striker

one of the best we've had? shearer cole ferdinand beardsley asprilla carroll bellamy and arguably a couple of others have been better than him

Guest neesy111

one of the best we've had? shearer cole ferdinand beardsley asprilla carroll bellamy and arguably a couple of others have been better than him

I'll add Patrick Kluivert, Duncan Ferguson and Paul Kitson who I think were all better than him.

I'll add Patrick Kluivert, Duncan Ferguson and Paul Kitson who I think were all better than him.

Paul Kitson :undecided:

I loved him at times...but if he scores and does the backflip, I'll be right pissed.

Anyone recall that joy of a celebration in the relegation season when he scored that goal after coming on for Owen in the match vs Boro? I went mental as well...

He never lived up to what we all blv'd he could do...

And his pace, he was a world class sprinter but my god he couldn't dribble with pace to save his life!

Guest neesy111

Paul Kitson :undecided:

He scored goals when he was in the team, wasn't the striker we needed at the time but did a good job.

Guest neesy111

Martins goalscoring record when he was with us was very good. It does hide his flaws somewhat, but we've had far far worse.

1 goal in 3 isn't that good at the top level.  Average of 12 goals a season if you play a full season which for a striker costing £10M isn't what I would expect.

1 in 3 isn't that good at the top level? Of course it is. Consider the context too. Frequently played out of position amongst a shower of absolute shite, for the most part. I cba going into great depth arguing about Martins cos we did all that in 2008... but i thought he was a very good player on his day.

I loved him at times...but if he scores and does the backflip, I'll be right pissed.

Anyone recall that joy of a celebration in the relegation season when he scored that goal after coming on for Owen in the match vs Boro? I went mental as well...

He never lived up to what we all blv'd he could do...

And his pace, he was a world class sprinter but my god he couldn't dribble with pace to save his life!

Teemu Tainio greatly disagrees with this sentiment.

Femi is what he is and was what he was. There were many negatives to go along with the positives, but I thought he was a fairly productive and good player for us. Sure he can be partially blamed for the relegation in 08-09, but he was one of the only reasons we stayed up for the two seasons previous. I hope he has grown to a point mentally, where he doesn't feel the need to make a fool of himself if he scores Tuesday evening.