Finances 09/10 - 'Our vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year'

quayside

2 years ago the plan was to be challenging for everything within 5 years. 6 months later we were relegated.

Now the long term vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year, year after year. Let's hope they don't fall as far short of the new rather more limited aim as they did the old one.

So all in all not so bad considering we got relegated? BBC headline makes things sound as though we are on the edge of going bust - "Newcastle sink further into red"

Is being an Ashley empathiser any better than being an Ashley sympathiser?

Nah. Actually, despite the fact that I've stated many times of my hatred for Ashley, if you think Pardew is ok, don't really rate Hughton, think the Carroll situation was a decent deal and don't grab your pitchfork and run to the steps of SJP every day screaming "YOU FAT COCKNEY b******" then you're an Ashley sympathiser. Or even better, part of his fan club.

or if you pipe up making devils advocate type comments that more often than not are in favour of ashley in every thread, like you do. you only get called things like ashley sympathiser because of that mate, i dont understand the constant denial

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I forgot you know my opinion better than I do.

God isn't Ashley great. Go Ashley.

Ian W, i absolutely agree it would be dull and i enjoy the debates and reading people's opinions.

JH - i appreciate the moral grey area stance but the fact is you pop up in threads all over the place preaching leniency towards ashley, and then say you dont.

Simple question Bob, and this is in no way reflective of our situation - break even and finish 10th or £100m debt and win the title?

Alternatively, we could spend 100m and not get anywhere near the title. Oh wait, that sounds familiar.

Can anyone explain this thing about "time wasters and fantasists" purchasers being put off by having to buy a box for £250k or whatever it is? This is a club who previously tried to sell itself by putting an email address up on its webpage? And who is going to pay £250k just for the privilege of hearing Ashley's massively inflated price which no one will be willing to met?

What are these yearly 'Other Expenses' £26.9m reported in 08/09 and 09/10?

Paying for Ashley's helicopter travel around the country.

Tweeted the Swiss Ramble, they responded:

@UtdForNewcastle Other Expenses include depreciation, costs of operating stadium, training ground & academy, cost of sales & administration.

Can anyone explain this thing about "time wasters and fantasists" purchasers being put off by having to buy a box for £250k or whatever it is? This is a club who previously tried to sell itself by putting an email address up on its webpage? And who is going to pay £250k just for the privilege of hearing Ashley's massively inflated price which no one will be willing to met?

A serious buyer would have a estimate of the total price, and no problem entering talks for 250K.

For all other media seeking attention whores, its not worth it.

Pretty good move imo  :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

What are these yearly 'Other Expenses' £26.9m reported in 08/09 and 09/10?

Paying for Ashley's helicopter travel around the country.

Tweeted the Swiss Ramble, they responded:

@UtdForNewcastle Other Expenses include depreciation, costs of operating stadium, training ground & academy, cost of sales & administration.

What else would it have been? Running costs need to be included.

A serious buyer would have a estimate of the total price, and no problem entering talks for 250K.

For all other media seeking attention whores, its not worth it.

Pretty good move imo  :lol:

:lol: :thup:

The club is also likely to launch its own television channel along the same lines as Liverpool TV, which will be part of the Freeview and Sky package and paid for through advertising

Where's that quote from?

nufc.com says its from The Journal.

Wullie, I would be on your side IF we didn't fuck up that seriously since and after Souness.  To me it's like we aren't in a position to make gambles anymore and the offer for Carroll is too good to turn down given our current financial status.  We are still suffering from the down side of the dark ages, and I could tell you the amount owe to Ashley is kinda insane.  For comparision, Liverpool was sold for 300m given their turnover, reputation and table position.

Probably in the future if we have a new Carroll, I would be on your side and condemn the club/owner for accepting the offer.  Not this time, sorry.

Obviously there isn't a strict dichotomy between "spend like a f***ing madman and succeed" and "pinch every penny and fail miserably." You make decisions on a case-by-case basis depending on the circumstances of the club.

In our case its fairly obvious that some amount of financial austerity was needed. Mike Ashley had the right idea about the financial end, but obviously his downfall was that he made terrible, terrible, absolutely f***ing insane footballing decisions.

I don't think that was controversial enough so here's an extra line: What happened in the past couple of years was terrible, but I would still take the Newcastle United of today over the Newcastle United as it was when Ashley bought the club. Every single day of the week.

We were in a total shambles before Ashley arrived like, partly the reason that the owners were so keen to bail our with their wallets stuffed.

IIRC when Ashley arrived we were mostly excited about getting a new British owner who could take us forward!

We were in a total shambles before Ashley arrived like, partly the reason that the owners were so keen to bail our with their wallets stuffed.

IIRC when Ashley arrived we were mostly excited about getting a new British owner who could take us forward!

People didn't expect such a successful business person to be such a terrible football club owner though.

Simple question Bob, and this is in no way reflective of our situation - break even and finish 10th or £100m debt and win the title?

isn't it a bit too simplistic though as it supposes a given that we win the title. a truer a more even question would be "would you want the club to go 100mill in debt in an attempt to win the title and all the problems that will bring with it should the attempt fail, or, try and grow in a more organic manner within affordable lines and (see the question below) spending more on players when we can ?

another question which is a tad more pertinent to our current situation (though hopefully will be more suiting should we achieve safety) .... if (when) we achieve profitability will ashley use the money to build and get his money back on the sale of the asset or cream off profits to get back some of what he's put in ?