Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

It just reminds me of a conversation I had with a bloke in NYC who argued that Mike Tyson was the best HW ever because men 'in all 50 states' had Tyson tattoos, not to mention the fact the British Embassy let him into this country to fight without hesitation in spite of his conviction for rape.

I think we as a society generally overlook actual achievments in favour of the intangibles when evaluating sporting greats. It makes no difference to these people that Tyson lost badly to the only great fighters he fought, or that in this case Pele or Messi's record stand up far better to scrutiny.

It's fair to say that people tend to romanticize past idols for off the field feats, as it were, in various sports like with Tyson as you say Ronaldo.

Often happens with players like Le Tiss, who usually now just get mentioned for his amazing goals he scores and effortless ball control, but would often go completely missing for several games on end as he trundled around the pitch checking his wristwatch for when he needed to punt it out for a throw.

Just realized in saying that, there was no off the field feat with Le Tiss but meh /ramble /ramble /ramble lol

Just got asked who I thought no1 was ever. So I say pele and say thats what most people would say. Got given a big talk on maradona.

Wherever he went, took a struggling side to the top

Could do things no one else could at the time

Went to an Arab country to play. And they said his daughters couldnt go due to the law. He said he wouldnt play. So the Arabs bent the rules for him, could anyone else do that?

Cant remember exactly what else but it was a pretty decent argument

Pele stopped a war in Nigeria.

Pele was sent off in a game against a club in Colombia with Santos. Colombian team president was outraged with the bad sending off so Pele returned to the 2nd half while the referee wasnt allowed back.

Pele did stuff no one ever could (let me also add that even Maradona himself admits  he stole a lot from Rivellino)

Pele made Santos the best team in Brazil and the world with limited players by his side.

So the reason you couldnt argue with him is because you knew less than him.

Guest Chubby Jason

Pele also has an eye for a great player when he sees one.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00244/I_intprod1-8000base_244394a.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00244/I_intprod1-8000base_244394a.jpg

Pele also talks utter shit and no one listens to him anymore.

Guest Chubby Jason

Pele also talks utter s*** and no one listens to him anymore.

I feel like I can relate to that.

Just in time for his racism allegation defence...  What a good man Messi is.

Also, fairly certain that there isn't 1 case of growth hormone deficiency a year?  Surely there are thousands of people each year who need pumping with steroids to reach an optimum height?

• 3 weeks later...