Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

I think because of what Ronaldo has turned into people forget just how good he was with the ball at his feet. It's like people forget his first few seasons in England. He absolutely has everything you mentioned.

You're welcome to point out the weaknesses in Ronaldos game to me. I think Pele is better from what I've seen but Ronaldo is every bit as complete IMO.

Both feet, heading, skill, speed, strength, free kicks, penalties.

Thought it was in comparison to Messi. I didn't see Pele so can't comment

Ronaldo is 100% more complete than Messi like. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

You're welcome to point out the weaknesses in Ronaldos game to me. I think Pele is better from what I've seen but Ronaldo is every bit as complete IMO.

Both feet, heading, skill, speed, strength, free kicks, penalties.

Thought it was in comparison to Messi. I didn't see Pele so can't comment

Ronaldo is 100% more complete than Messi like. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Not going to bite :lol:

I think because of what Ronaldo has turned into people forget just how good he was with the ball at his feet. It's like people forget his first few seasons in England. He absolutely has everything you mentioned.

That's irrelevant he's not that player anymore, he's lost close control and he hardly dribbles anymore for the trade off being as effective as possible goal scorer.

And no he's not more complete than Messi, the only things he's better than Messi at is heading and long shots.

But as i said in the previous page this complete stuff is nonsense, every single player has weaknesses no one is anywhere near complete.

Guest Bert Shaft

This old get thinks that the best ever players are as followed.

1... Pele

2... Dirty little fat cheating drug crazed Argue c*nt

3... Messy

4...Ronnie

5... Irish p*ss head

6... Keith Kettleborough

Messi might be the better player but of course Ronaldo's more complete.

:lol:

It's true like. I can't even begin to see how you can disagree with that. :lol:

Okay I will bite. Messi better at dribbling, passing, creating chances, finishing,free kicks. Ronaldo is better at heading

Messi might be the better player but of course Ronaldo's more complete.

:lol:

It's true like. I can't even begin to see how you can disagree with that. :lol:

Because Messi can do more things Ronaldo can than Ronaldo can do things Messi can't.

It's pretty simple logic, but anyway carry on i'm bored of this already.

Such a pointless discussion. Tall, athlete like player is more suited to playing different roles than short arse fella, no shit.

True enough, but you agree with my point, so we can leave it there.

The only things Ronaldo is better than Messi at it is aerial ability (he's probably the best roger headerer in the world) and long shots.  Messi is even a far superior free kick taker now and has been for some time.

If anyone thinks Ronny's vision, passing, dribbling, link up play and work rate for his team is on par with Messi's then they're off their tits more than I am right now.

The only things Ronaldo is better than Messi at it is aerial ability (he's probably the best roger headerer in the world) and long shots.  Messi is even a far superior free kick taker now and has been for some time.

If anyone thinks Ronny's vision, passing, dribbling, link up play and work rate for his team is on par with Messi's then they're off their tits more than I am right now.

I don't. The debate was who is more complete, not who is better.

For what it's worth, I do think Messi is better, not but it's not by much. Ronaldo is very close to him.

Interview with Beckenbauer where he was asked the question whether Messi would become the best ever if he won the World Cup today. He answered that yes, Messi will become the best that it's possible for him, he'll reach the same level as Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff etc. But there's always going to be one player he'll never eclipse.

Beckenbauer knows his stuff ;)

Again, Ronaldo has all of that. Pele was better, but that isn't the point here.

Ronaldo could never play the #10 role and no Ronaldo doesn't have all of that. Ronaldo is an effective machine, one of the best goal scorers I'll ever see, but he's not near the top guys when it comes to technique, intelligent and vision on the pitch. He's got dribbling skills, goal scoring ability and is physically superior to most players nowadays. But he's no Cruyff, Messi, Maradona, or Pele.

I'd agree with this. I see Ronaldo as a superb athlete who by dint of hard work has developed well technically. But he doesn't have the natural gifts of the players that you've mentioned, and that does show now and then. Particularly in his passing.

Interview with Beckenbauer where he was asked the question whether Messi would become the best ever if he won the World Cup today. He answered that yes, Messi will become the best that it's possible for him, he'll reach the same level as Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff etc. But there's always going to be one player he'll never eclipse.

Beckenbauer knows his stuff ;)

Beckenbauer is a complete prick isn't he? :lol: Denying that there were slaves in Qatar and shit like that