Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Would it be against the rules for a player to sell his international rights to a country. Like I'm sure when Wayne Rooney first got into the Everton first team it was mentioned he was eligible to play for Ireland as well as England. Could a future Wayne Rooney effectively auction himself?

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but could they not put a cap on player salaries, but no restrictions on appearance money. That way players would have to earn their wages.

If money is to be the incentive then make it an incentive to be better.

Salary caps work within a league if league isn't exposed to external competition from other leagues.  The Salary Cap works well for leagues like the NFL where there is no other place for players to go, or like the NBA or NHL where the alternative is playing in Argentina, Europe or the Russian K-League and where even the capped salary is far in excess of the alternate leagues.

If the Premier League capped Salaries then all the top players would flood to Spain, France or Germany where the salaries are uncapped. 

Salary caps work within a league if league isn't exposed to external competition from other leagues.  The Salary Cap works well for leagues like the NFL where there is no other place for players to go, or like the NBA or NHL where the alternative is playing in Argentina, Europe or the Russian K-League and where even the capped salary is far in excess of the alternate leagues.

If the Premier League capped Salaries then all the top players would flood to Spain, France or Germany where the salaries are uncapped.

Not if it was a UEFA decision.

You're right....it would need to be a UEFA decision to be possible. And we know how that would go.

A more likely solution would be putting fixed squad limits in place for the First Team, "Reserves" and a U23, with restrictions on where loans can play depending on the players squad contract.  For example, no loans within the league for the first team squad (or equivalent rated league (i.e. EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga/SerieA)  must go down a league or move to a smaller country.  Reserves cannot play in First team or be loaned to league down without clearing a squad place in the first team.

This would prevent clubs from stockpiling players and encourage players to sign for clubs they would play for (not have the 67+ Chelsea loan players)

• 3 weeks later...

So the other day I went to the great spectacle that is the first Europa league qualifying round, UEFA being the incredibly intelligent organisation that they are saw the tie kick off at 5pm, in temperatures way above 30c. About half way through each half the ref stopped the game for a drinks break lasting a few minutes.

Are these drinks breaks part of the official rules? Are they a new thing? Don't think I've ever seen one before, presumably the plan is to enforce this rule in Qatar if this a genuine rule? 

So the other day I went to the great spectacle that is the first Europa league qualifying round, UEFA being the incredibly intelligent organisation that they are saw the tie kick off at 5pm, in temperatures way above 30c. About half way through each half the ref stopped the game for a drinks break lasting a few minutes.

Are these drinks breaks part of the official rules? Are they a new thing? Don't think I've ever seen one before, presumably the plan is to enforce this rule in Qatar if this a genuine rule? 

Yes, if temperatures reach above 32 degrees C then the referee can call them at 30 mins and 75 mins.

There was a few during the 2014 World Cup.

Are we having the same membership system this season? Might be worth getting for once?

Semi-related, is this why I can't buy pre-season tickets on the site? Just keeps telling me to log in. I have a supporter number etc but no membership.

Are we having the same membership system this season? Might be worth getting for once?

Think so yes, £30? Mine had run out before end of season (comms are shit, nobody tells you and no easy way to check) so re-joined so I could get a Barnsley ticket. Assuming it runs to a 12 month period rather than season end. Though, again, nobody from the box office has bothered to answer this question.

Guest neesy111

Semi-related, is this why I can't buy pre-season tickets on the site? Just keeps telling me to log in. I have a supporter number etc but no membership.

That will be correct, you'll only be able to buy them when they are public sale.

Probably, though last time I checked tickets for preseason games were only available to season ticket holders ( not that the website gives you this info...). Off to check if they're now available to members.

That will be correct, you'll only be able to buy them when they are public sale.

Cheers.

Think so yes, £30? Mine had run out before end of season (comms are shit, nobody tells you and no easy way to check) so re-joined so I could get a Barnsley ticket. Assuming it runs to a 12 month period rather than season end. Though, again, nobody from the box office has bothered to answer this question.

I'd be careful with that as I'm sure it was stated somewhere that they now run through the season and not across 12 months.

I'll try and find the link for that.

Do we reckon you'll need one this season? I haven't had one for years.

If ST sales are as reported (40k), then I'd say so yes.

But it depends on how many games you want to go to/whether they are against Man Utd or West Brom. Also if you fancy the odd away trip you'll need one this year.

Most will still go to general sale I'd imagine, but the higher profile games probably wont.

Yes, if temperatures reach above 32 degrees C then the referee can call them at 30 mins and 75 mins.

There was a few during the 2014 World Cup.

Cheers. Seems sensible, although 32 seems a very random choice.

• 2 weeks later...