Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Why are our midweek home league games usually always on a Wednesday instead of a Tuesday like everyone else's are?

The clubs have some input as to which day they would prefer, seems like we prefer playing on Wednesday for whatever reason.

Obviously policing and stuff needs to be practical for the request to go ahead too.

Since squad numbers were brought in in the early / mid nineties there's been loads of numbers retired. Just watched a documentary on Franco Baresi, his number 6 won't be worn again by any meelan player.

Anyroad, have any club retired the number 1 shirt? Cause it seems a bit nuts to say no future keeper can have it.

Love the Maldini stipulations, imagine that in 100 years when a distant third cousin of a nephew of one of his descendants wants it :lol:

Bit of a tough challenge to set his kids IMO :lol: Implied failure if that shirt stays retired given that at least two of them are pursuing careers in football

We should retire 23 tbh.

I remember that manu said they'd retire Mark Hughes' number 10 shirt. Pretty sure that didn't last long. Maybe it was a wrestling retirement for the number?

Also, doesn't one of the Bristol clubs not allow the number 12 shirt to be worn as its meant to be for the fans as theyre like their 12th man or something?

It doesn't seem right in football for any shirt to be retired. Whereas in NBA it does to me.

Must be because in basketball any number can be worn at any position so they are more closely attached to the player himself. In football there is still a positional relevance to the numbers for 1 to 11 so it makes me think the shirt should be in service of the team not the individual.

If we had a number 9 scoring 50 goals and winning us the league, still wouldn't want it retired. It's better to have a passing of the torch.

I can't remember any discussion at all about retiring the number 9 back in 2006.

Mind you, was there a period of a few years in the late 90s where away fans were banned in the derby? I'm sure there was but my memory of that time is shot to shit.

I can't remember any discussion at all about retiring the number 9 back in 2006.

Mind you, was there a period of a few years in the late 90s where away fans were banned in the derby? I'm sure there was but my memory of that time is shot to shit.

I think it was just for one season, 96-97.

Mind you, was there a period of a few years in the late 90s where away fans were banned in the derby? I'm sure there was but my memory of that time is shot to s***.

I think it was just for one season, 96-97.

I still got Roker that year,brilliant and horrible at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What would happen next Sunday regarding the Championship trophy if us and Brighton are still going toe to toe? Do they have some duffer in a helicopter ready to head to Birmingham or town?

Two trophies, one at each stadium I imagine?

Aye, there is a replica. Brighton would get the real one with them being in a better position I would imagine.

But there's a trophy for 2nd too isn't there, so there'll have to be two trophies at each ground?

If the real Championship trophy is at Brighton's match (with them being in the better position), they'll be gutted when they get handed the snidey 2nd place trophy!  :snod:  ;)