Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

3 pots in, around our way (5 pots could have lasted for ages). Plus always loved KINGO (in old terraced backlane with cobbles--great for reaction times! And in carpark, against back wall of Co-Op--easier, but had to avoid moving cars!)

Kingo! I'm gonna have to assume that's a different game from the one I played in Bradford in about 1969. That involved pelting tennis balls about.

A link for the international brethren:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/11/your-favourite-street-football-games

And for my Bradford brother, KINGO (Felling stylee) was 'Wally' in the article, only you started with no letters and whenever you failed to hit the wall (one touch/shot) you picked-up a letter. Fifth letter (KING-O) and you're out.

And for my Bradford brother, KINGO (Felling stylee) was 'Wally' in the article, only you started with no letters and whenever you failed to hit the wall (one touch/shot) you picked-up a letter. Fifth letter (KING-O) and you're out.

Yo, bro. :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/11/your-favourite-street-football-games

Used to call that 'SPOT'.

Kingo we used to start in a circle with a tennis ball on the deck, between the legs was the goal, using feet as pinball flippers. First to concede was 'it' and had to hit the others with the ball.

Rush keeper is a weird rule, since it's allowed in the game anyway. Can anybody else remember butterfly keeper? Basically nearest to the goal was keeper.

Used to call that 'SPOT'.

Kingo we used to start in a circle with a tennis ball on the deck, between the legs was the goal, using feet as pinball flippers. First to concede was 'it' and had to hit the others with the ball.

Rush keeper is a weird rule, since it's allowed in the game anyway. Can anybody else remember butterfly keeper? Basically nearest to the goal was keeper.

We used to call it spot too.

Aye, the subtle difference between rush keeper and "fog man back"- which sounds like your butterfly keeper- used to cause a few arguments if ground rules weren't established at the outset.

60 seconds

“Essentially a variation on headers and volleys. You’d have 60 seconds to score one header or volley, then 60 seconds to score two headers and volleys, then three, then four etc. If the outfield players scored a non-volley, or if the keeper caught the ball, the shooter replaces the keeper in goal, and the game starts again from one goal in 60 seconds. Our record was 15 headers and volleys in 60 seconds.”

The best, hands down. You also went in nets if you skied it/put it wide, though.

The sheer pandemonium of trying to set someone up for a volley with five seconds left.  :smitten:

What does "nee blasties" mean? No hard shots (when you play football with friends for fun)?

I wish I was english so I could use that expression, it's amazing.

Our team at Wallsend Boys Club when we were 10 or 11 was called No Blasties, tbh I didn't realise it was widespread and called it that thinking it was just something my dad said.

Rush keeper/fog man back was normally only allowed if the two sides were of unequal numbers. Only difference is that with rush keeper you have a set person playing in goal.

So no change to normal rules then ? For us rush keeper was fog man back (for the forrins out there "fog" in this instance means "first"),  First player back behind a designsted area, usually a stone, was allowed to handle the ball.

Rush keeper/fog man back was normally only allowed if the two sides were of unequal numbers. Only difference is that with rush keeper you have a set person playing in goal.

So no change to normal rules then ? For us rush keeper was fog man back (for the forrins out there "fog" in this instance means "first"),  First player back behind a designsted area, usually a stone, was allowed to handle the ball.

Not as far as i remember, but tbf we would get bored and eventually just play 'snappy football' until somebody got hurt/died.

Not as far as i remember, but tbf we would get bored and eventually just play 'snappy football' until somebody got hurt/died.

Oh aye, that reminds me, someone mentioned earlier about playing heads and volleys till the keeper got hurt....me and a mate made a game of this, once we got a stooge to be the keeper, thinking he was playing heads and volleys but really our game was to hit the keeper, points awarded for where, arms legs, 1 point, torso 5 points, head, 10, knocked over 20 etc. extra pointed awarded for yelps and blood.

In fact if you search on this very forum " grand master oomph" you'll find a mention of it, knew I had, back in 2011. No quote box next to it and I lack the nouse to do it.

A genuine question. Who takes the match ball home when there are 2 or more players who score a hatrick in the same match? Was thinking this because of the 2 hatricks in thd Napoli game last night. And what happens if the two hattrick scorers are on opposing sides?

Have always had these questions in my mind. Think I remember Beardsley and Cole

scoring a hatrick in a game against Wimbledon iinm.

A genuine question. Who takes the match ball home when there are 2 or more players who score a hatrick in the same match? Was thinking this because of the 2 hatricks in thd Napoli game last night. And what happens if the two hattrick scorers are on opposing sides?

Have always had these questions in my mind. Think I remember Beardsley and Cole

scoring a hatrick in a game against Wimbledon iinm.

I think it's whoever completed their hattrick first.

This is a daft question alright, but whatever :lol: What's to stop a club sticking a mic in the away dressing room (behind a tile or something, fuck knas) then hearing their tactics?

getting a huge points reduction if caught?