Chelsea vs Newcastle United Pre-match thread (15/05/2011 - 1.30pm, live on Sky)

Anderson

The thought of Donaldson starting a Premier League game really shows how bad our squad depth actually is.

Not really.  He wouldn't be playing if Nolan, Guthrie, Smith, Tiote, Perch or Ben Arfa were fit.  Or even if Williamson was fit to move Coloccini in there. 

The fact that he's 9th choice midfielder isn't bad depth.  Just bad luck.

The thought of Donaldson starting a Premier League game really shows how bad our squad depth actually is.

Not really.  He wouldn't be playing if Nolan, Guthrie, Smith, Tiote, Perch or Ben Arfa were fit.  Or even if Williamson was fit to move Coloccini in there. 

It is really, as you've mentioned the likes of Smith, Perch and Guthrie who aren't good enough to be playing Premier League football regularly.

It is really, as you've mentioned the likes of Smith, Perch and Guthrie who aren't good enough to be playing Premier League football regularly.

In that case, it's Smith, Perch and Guthrie who show we have bad depth, rather than the fact that Donaldson's 9th.  I don't think any club's 9th choice CM is a world-beater. 

Bibs suggest:

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Coloccini  Enrique

Jonas  Barton  Donaldson  Ferguson

Ameobi  Ranger

But the bibs are extra-confusing this week.

The bibs suggest nothing this week tbh.

Have a horrible feeling based on Carver's comments that Smith will play some part. "His fitness levels haven't dropped at all" means to me that he will play. Honestly think we'd be better off playing Ryan Taylor in centre midfield with Barton, Jonas right and Ferguson left. But it could be bloody anything, to be honest.

Bibs suggest:

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Coloccini  Enrique

Jonas  Barton  Donaldson  Ferguson

Ameobi  Ranger

But the bibs are extra-confusing this week.

The bibs suggest nothing this week tbh.

The bibs! They do nothing!

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Have a horrible feeling based on Carver's comments that Smith will play some part. "His fitness levels haven't dropped at all" means to me that he will play. Honestly think we'd be better off playing Ryan Taylor in centre midfield with Barton, Jonas right and Ferguson left. But it could be bloody anything, to be honest.

I think he might end up starting anyway due to our lack of options.

Ridiculous that we've not got Routledge back for these games when we've known all week Nolan and Tiote wouldn't feature.

Maybe we've done a deal with QPR...or maybe he doesn't want to play. In any case I'm quite looking forward to the game now. Interested to see how the younger guys do if pitched in. I just hope if Ranger's starting that doesn't mean Lovenkrands on the wing.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I hope it happens. It'll be the most exciting thing to have happened (this weekend). No one will dare tackle Sammy Ameobi out of fear that they'll snap his legs, plus his older Brother is Shola Ameobi and he's proper radgie.