Sammy Ameobi released

James

I wasn't complaining about his performance today. Just complaining about still having him (and a member of the Ameobi family) on our books in general.

Shola was s**** but a lot more effective/useful than this lad ever will be. He's lower Championship/League One quality so I'd rather he accepted it and went somewhere playing regularly and to have as good a career as possible.

I have no problem having him on the books as cover and bench warmer. Aarons injury and Atsu could well win AFCON has left us chronically short in those positions. Aye ship him back to Bolton if we get Andros in but not before.

A good option for us? My word. Sammy's a nice lad but he's failed at Championship level and barely had any impact in League One either. In truth he should be absolutely nowhere near the bench of a side with PL aspirations.

A good option for us? My word. Sammy's a nice lad but he's failed at Championship level and barely had any impact in League One either. In truth he should be absolutely nowhere near the bench of a side with PL aspirations.

He shouldn't but he is due to injuries, and the Africa cup of nations he got on the tip and did well today, so yeah I would say he is a good option to have at the moment. He chipped in with a few goals (assists as well?) at premier league level before performing poorly at Championship level, no reason he couldn't have a Pancrate like impact on this season.

Just listened to his interview on NUFC TV. Good on the lad - seems to accept that his attitude has not always been right and that he is in a better place to take his chance. I hope he gets it. Would certainly rather see him play than Gouffran. Alright he probably won't make the cut when we go up, but you just never know. He could be a late developer. There is certainly more chance of him being involved next season that Gouff (who I hope will not be offered a new deal) so lets just see how he shapes up.

done nothing wrong yesterday, it wasnt cringeworthy, the crowd were relaxed and were having a laugh with Sammy.

if he performs, takes his chance who knows? Gouffran although no world beater was utter dog shit till Rafa came in and now is half decent, maybe Rafa can spark this lad.

the Ameobi's have a natural talent/skill but it was their lazy demeanor that let them down imho

done nothing wrong yesterday, it wasnt cringeworthy, the crowd were relaxed and were having a laugh with Sammy.

if he performs, takes his chance who knows? Gouffran although no world beater was utter dog s*** till Rafa came in and now is half decent, maybe Rafa can spark this lad.

the Ameobi's have a natural talent/skill but it was their lazy demeanor that let them down imho

Agree with that post apart from the last part, maybe it's the case with Sammy but by all accounts Shola was always first on/last off the training pitch which was why he was often (inexplicably in a lot of cases) given new contracts despite his poor goalscoring return. He was looking at his best under Roeder until that hip injury - which was picked up and then aggravated by playing for the team for a year with it due to our injury problems - finished his career off. To label Shola as lazy is wrong.

I think Sammy has plenty of ability but he just doesn't have a brain and this coincides with no end product, headless chicken and blind alley running. Rafa could find something to make him a useful player at this level and maybe even as a sub in the PL depending on investment. His directness and skill really troubled Rotherham and although it's 20 minutes in one game against the bottom of the league team, I wouldn't begrudge him a few more appearances off the bench.

Hoyed on for 20 minutes, played well, Ronaldo's RAGING.

Sounds like a perfect day  ;)

I'm not sure why his career stalled after a promising start, but it's not easy now for a young player to come through the ranks at a Premiership club, and particularly one where there's a bit of pressure and the manager will find it difficult to take risks. Dummett's the only recent one who springs to mind, and that was after a loan spell.

Sammy's interview on NUFC tv was interesting. I did wonder whether he had previously suffered a slight dose of Rangeritis. (and I stress the word slight) Things had maybe been a bit easy, he'd got into the first team and perhaps he then took his foot off the gas. The reality is that unless a player has a continuing commitment to improve, then he'll slip backwards.

It sounds like he did well yesterday, so fingers crossed. Rafa may be conservative and stubborn, but I think he's also fair-minded and will judge him on what he sees.

Let's not rewrite history. He didn't play awful but to say he played well is a step up from reality. He didn't make any noticeable fuck ups neither did he create much if anything.

Apart from the cross which should have led to a goal......

Yeah, that's about it.

Let's not rewrite history. He didn't play awful but to say he played well is a step up from reality. He didn't make any noticeable f*** ups neither did he create much if anything.

Apart from the cross which should have led to a goal......

Yeah, that's about it.

Aye, one potential assist is not good enough in the 26 minutes he was on the pitch.

Howay, man. We're talking about Sammy Ameobi and a completely open game against the worst side in the league and he managed to spend his time on the pitch basically repeatedly losing the ball.

He's a nice lad but if you were to talk to him about his football for 10 minutes you could basically close this thread. Making enough wedge to live reasonably comfortably and help his family a bit is the absolute fullest extent of his ambitions.