Newcastle United v WBA - (prematch thread) - May 22nd 4pm

Beren

Man Utd have had a good season, certainly. But they've not exactly excelled and will win partly due to their resilience and also due to the feeble challenge they received.

Edit: see above.

Man Utd will finish with 80 points after one of the poorest PL seasons in recent memory. They haven't had a magnificent season either.

I think this season's been great. Just because there hasn't been one outstanding team I don't think it's been poor. Hopefully people are starting to realise the big teams aren't unbeatable.

Man Utd will finish with 80 points after one of the poorest PL seasons in recent memory. They haven't had a magnificent season either.

I think this season's been great. Just because there hasn't been one outstanding team I don't think it's been poor. Hopefully people are starting to realise the big teams aren't unbeatable.

Exactly, anything that represents even the slightest balancing out of the league is a very good thing.

i'm sure the fact they have just won the league and overtook Liverpool as the countries most successful club ever with 19 titles will be considered by them as a pretty magnificent achievement,  even more so if they follow it up by winning the Champions league final.

The fact you have argued over the relevant merits though of what Man U have done backs up my argument over disagreeing with Pardew saying we have had a magnificent season.

Might play some of their yoof.

http://www.wba.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~2362264,00.html

Youth could get Toon chance

Posted on: Wed 18 May 2011

MICHAEL Appleton says Albion must strike the right balance as they consider giving two of their Academy graduates a chance to shine at Newcastle on Sunday (ko 4pm).

Appleton says teenagers James Hurst and George Thorne have boosted their first-team hopes during daily training sessions with the senior players in recent weeks.

However, although it has become somewhat traditional for clubs to give their younger players a chance to impress when the pressure is off, 'Appy' says the Toon trip is anything but a dead rubber.

He says it is vital for the team to put on a show for the 2,700 supporters making the long journey to the North East, especially as a win will guarantee they finish as the highest-placed West Midlands team.

There is also money to play for, as the higher Roy Hodgson's men finish, the bigger the club's Premier League revenue will be.

Right-back Hurst, 19, has already made three first-team appearances this season - including making his Premier League bow at Fulham in January.

Thorne, 18, has made one senior appearance, as a late sub at Sheffield Wednesday last term.

"I think a lot of the younger lads will be in and around the squad," said Appleton.

"Whether they get a start or are on the bench is something we'll have to talk about towards the end of this week.

"But I must say over the last week or so, the likes of George and James have been at the forefronts of our minds.

"They've been training every day with the first team for the past couple of months.

"They've been putting in some sterling performances in training and really looking the part at times - especially George.

"Hursty's already had a bit of a look-in earlier in the season but George is really starting to mature.

"You could see that in his performances in the reserves.

"He's been coming up against decent players and holding his own.

"So, if there's an opportunity to get him in, we'll try our utmost.

"A lot of clubs give their younger players a chance towards the end of the season - but it's getting that balance right.

"As much as you want to give them a go, the fans will be going up there wanting us to win the game.

"If you get the balance right in your selection, you can hopefully get the best of both worlds.

"But we're also made aware all the time by the media and the powers that be that it's worth a lot of money to finish as high as you possibly can.

"So you have to weigh up all of those things when you select your team."

Appleton says Sam Mantom is another player who will soon be knocking on the first-team door, although he reckons the 19-year-old midfielder, who made his senior bow in the Carling Cup this term, may have to be a little more patient.

"I've told Sam personally that I think he's slightly behind James and George in a physical sense," added Appleton.

"George has got a real physical presence due to his build while Hursty is very athletic, which enables him to hold his own with the other boys.

"Sam's a very good footballer and technician.

"He's slightly behind them physically at the moment but he'll be one of those late developers - which is what I've been telling him since he was about 16!

"I am certain that whether it's in West Brom's first team next season or beyond, or with someone else, he'll be playing a lot of first-team football next year."

Interested to hear the WBA fans' thoughts going into this game. They must be very proud of their season too, but perhaps worried about hanging on to Odemwingie?

Guest Heneage

Krul

Simpson Saylor Coloccini Enrique

LuaLua Barton Raylor Ferguson

Shameobi Lovenkrands

I do like the look of that.

We'll lose with that team. Rather go with a 4-3-3 with Ranger starting in a wide position.

Krul

Simpson Saylor Coloccini Enrique

Raylor Barton Ferguson

Ranger    Shola   Best (lovenkrands if Best is not fit enough to start)

Exactly, anything that represents even the slightest balancing out of the league is a very good thing.

strongly agree

For all the talk of the league being unpredictable this year, take a look at the table. It has an awfully predictable look to it, with the top places continuing to be a closed shop.

The only real movement has been Man City, inevitably, climbing up a few places.

What's this shite on the SMB about the "forver in our shadow" banner? I've seen the hashtag on Twitter but is someone actually knocking one up or are the Mackem's imaginations just running wild?

I fucking hope no one is.

they're probably wearing their replica tops RIGHT NOW!!  :frantic: :frantic:

Interested to hear the WBA fans' thoughts going into this game. They must be very proud of their season too, but perhaps worried about hanging on to Odemwingie?

Been a good season overall, good that we have both ended up mid table.

Odemwingie will stay, fairly sure about that, I came on here a while ago comparing Tiote and Mulumbu, think Mulumbu has been the better signing although I know you all rate Tiote.

Anyway, should be a decent game, hope we get the win to finish on a high.

West Brom are probably the only club who look out of place to where their ability/reputation would expect them to be. Perhaps Villa too.

Funny, I thought you were over achieving a little! LOl