Owen Hargreaves

Guest dazzanufc1892

I know people will be like 'the lad's on £40,000 a week' or whatever, but it's a real shame a very talented footballer who clearly has a dedication to the game has been dealt such a poor hand in terms of injuries.

I know even if I was earning that much money, it wouldn't replace doing what I loved, and certainly wouldn't make me that happy.

Same, feel very sorry for him and anyone who has a career ended by injury. The consolation is that he should already have made enough money to set himself up for life.

Guest dazzanufc1892

the boy has nothing in his life other than football. He hasnt invested in houses, companies, restaurants, any of the usual really. Just loves the game, really hope somebody takes a punt on him for 3 months to see if he can get back, if he can, then its a steal.

Someone I hugely respect and I sympthasise with his predicament.

I'm sure he'd take a pay as you play but the problem is with the new rules about player limits is that clubs won't have him taking a slot if they can't be sure that he'll be fit.

He has three choices in my opinion, go to the Bundesliga, wait until deadline day and see if a club with less than 25 players will give him a go, drop down to the Championship.

We all know Hughton likes a freebie, but also there is West Ham, Leicester with Sven, and Forest with McClaren. One of those will take him if he is prepared to accept decent terms.

I'm sure he'd take a pay as you play but the problem is with the new rules about player limits is that clubs won't have him taking a slot if they can't be sure that he'll be fit.

He has three choices in my opinion, go to the Bundesliga, wait until deadline day and see if a club with less than 25 players will give him a go, drop down to the Championship.

We all know Hughton likes a freebie, but also there is West Ham, Leicester with Sven, and Forest with McClaren. One of those will take him if he is prepared to accept decent terms.

Or go back to Canada with an MLS team?

Wanted us to sign him badly back in 2004. Still kinda torn as I remember the player he was but his fitness problems scream Dyer at West Ham.

Dyer is like Lazarus compared to Hargreaves.

I'd be surprised if he hadn't already had people interested in a pay-as-you-play deal, but any deal like that would be suicidal for him to take unless it still had a decent starting wage.

Otherwise I'd gladly have him in. £0 p/w, £1k for every 3 minutes of football you play for NUFC.

£8k well spent IMO.

Or go back to Canada with an MLS team?

The above three options are better and I am confident that one will happen.

FWIW, it is an absolute shame that injuries have pretty much knacked his career. Certainly before his injury problems, he was one of England's best midfielders, no doubt (circa 2006-2008). Not sure if any PL club will sign him up tbh.

Thought he was class whenever he played for the national team and was by far your best player during the 06 World Cup, a shame for the national team more than anything that he wasn´t able to keep fit.

Wanted us to sign him badly back in 2004. Still kinda torn as I remember the player he was but his fitness problems scream Dyer at West Ham.

That's the illusion with players like him. No point holding on to what player he could be but also hard to look past it :(

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

How long did he last when he played for Man United this season in that game, like 5 minutes? :lol:

Guest elbee909

How long did he last when he played for Man United this season in that game, like 5 minutes? :lol:

Hilarious.

I've got genuine respect for him and hope he finds a club and rejuvinates his career. The training videos show the desire he's got to keep going and not pack it in like a lot of footballers probably would in his situation.

Never would have happened if he had picked Canada instead of England. Canadian game would have been in a much better state too.

....Actually he probably would have shot himself sooner than his body giving out in that scenario. I know I wanted to buy a gun while watching the Gold Cup.

Don't see him coming back to any Canadian MLS sides, although he might have little other option. I'm not sure how the designated player rule works but Toronto seem to already have at least 3 in Koovermans, De Guzman and Frings (I thought it was one per team?) Think Vancouver already have a couple, Montreal is an option maybe. US sides probably wouldn't take him as Canadians are considered a foreign player in the U.S. despite the opposite being true of American players in Canada.

Definitely see some championship side taking a punt on him first.