Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

How? It was Raylor who sold himself too early for Jarvis cutting in wasnt it?

Cabaye won the ball and played it to Ba who flicked it and it came to Cisse who scored.  Ryan Taylor was responsible for the first Wolves goal.

Guest VaVaVoom

I'm not convinced he's been deployed too deep. If he was deep then he'd be on the ball more, able to pick it up from the defence, dictate play and spread it as he says Pardew told him he would be doing. He's not doing that, but then he's not an attacking threat either. He's just running around and being another defensive player in there. Funnily enough, aside from today Guthrie has been doing much better in the playmaker role. I simply don't believe that he's a better player than Cabaye, so what's the problem?

I'm not sure, but Pardew needs to sort it out. As it is at present, all we're getting from Cabaye is workrate. Something Ryan Taylor could offer, and has before this season.

When Cabaye picks the ball up deep (in that rare situation where the ball does not fly over his head), the "wingers" and fullbacks and Tiote are all pretty much diagonal to him in a congested area. Unless he can hit one of the two isolated forwards he has no options IMO.

If you watch a side that keeps possession well and utilises a play-maker you will notice that the fullbacks push forward in possession, and the wingers/wide forwards roam to look for the ball-  the play-maker has loads of short options(CB's/FB's) to keep possession  and probe for a more forward pass. We have no shape even remotely resembling this.

Spot on.

Needs to be next to a box-to-box player. So does Tiote, as it happens.

Cabaye needs to play further forward for sure, don't agree about Tiote though.

He's got the engine to run all day for sure but he's not a particularly creative player and tends to look a bit lost in possession at times tbh. Just slap him front of the back four and tell him to destroy everything that comes near him and play it quick and simple when we have the ball. Give his partner in midfield license to get forward a lot knowing Tiote has his arse covered.

Would make both Cabaye and Tiote (not to mention the team) look a lot better if Pardew would just do this.

Wonder what he thinks of our style of play at the moment btw.

He said a few times when he signed that Pardew had told him he wanted to play a pass and move game with Cabaye being the foundation of all our attacks. At the moment he's nothing more than a ball winner who sits in front of the defense.

He said a few times when he signed that Pardew had told him he wanted to play a pass and move game with Cabaye being the foundation of all our attacks. At the moment he's nothing more than a ball winner who sits in front of the defense.

If even that. Barely saw him bar that failed shot yesterday.

First goal?

First goal?

Forgot about that. Still, not involved.

Waiting for him to really take a game by the throat. Its games like yesterday where he should be dominating the whole midfield. I know its his first season, so I expect him to get better next year and the year after that. Like mentioned, doesnt help when we are lumping balls forward. But games like yesterday, even at 2-0 we should have been controlling the game with him and Tiote in the middle and well, just didnt.

His game consisted of, watch the ball sail over his head, watch the centre back win the header, watch it land to one of Wolves midfield 5, pressurise the Wolves midfield whilst being outnumbered, finally win back possession and..............repeat until the final whistle.

It is embarrassing that we have players like Tiote and Cabaye that are casual and somfortable in possession, yet we bypass them at every oppourtunity  :huff:

Guest WashyGeordie

Cabaye for 89 minutes saturday:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkhZ5XC6maePZELk44krAJvIIx2RvG1O2Ed8r6kU65AGD63nFuxA

" le ball, please come down to me!"

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2012/1/30/1327965923386/Yohan-Cabaye-007.jpg

90th minute?

Guest Dontooner

He doesn't seem to be the creative midfielder I thought he was. He plays almost like a second defensive midfielder.

He had a real purple patch season in the 2009 - 2010 season where he scored 13 League goals. Excluding that season, 3 or 4 league goals a season seems to be about his average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yohan_Cabaye

He is much more of creator than a goal scorer but it really isnt showing since he settled into Newcastle. He look pretty good at the start of the season showing his broad passing range, but it gets smaller and smaller in each passing game...i think a certain Pardew has dumb down most of our flair players.