Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I don't remember us doing much in the 1st half at home to Fulham tbh.

Despite my negativity towards Pardew,we were very comfortable first half against them but should have made more of outer chances.the second half...

Did you not read his post or did you just ignore it?

Shaun doesn't have a working brain,be easy with him Ian

I'm telling it how it is.

No you're not and you never have done since you came on here. You just post daft statements and contrary nonsense for the sake of looking for bites, all of the time.

What we want isn't really "attacking" football, its possession football which isn't always the same thing. Swansea has conceded (and scored) fewer goals than us, simply because they hold on to the ball so much better than everyone else.

I'd also like to think that they've proven that you don't need Barca-level players to play good possession football.

I dont want possession football, possession football is boring as f*ck.

I just want us to pass through midfield instead of completely by passing it, theres a difference between possession football and a direct style based on accurate passing and wing play.

What you've described there is more or less the way Aston Villa used to play under Martin O'Neil, I think. It works, but eh, we have two, maybe three CMs very capable of strutting it around. Our wing play (Ben Arfa aside) is terrible most of the time anyway.

Not quite i should make myself more clear, i dont mind posession football, its possession without a purpose that i hate because its boring as hell to watch.....

I have fallen asleep watching Spain at times when they pass between thier back four and midfield without a purpose other than using possesssion to stop the opposition.

What i want to see and we are well capable of it is passing with a purpose and not just passing to keep the ball like Swansea do for example.

When i said direct i meant as little sideways and backwards passing as possible, the wingplay thing was said because it's clear what Pardew wants.

But quite frankly what i want to see in the long term future is this......

http://this11.com/boards/abChz36ag8.jpg

Heavily based on passing but trying to pass forward when ever possible and none of this sideways and backwards rubbish which is what i meant by "direct" dont confuse direct with long ball.

I think we can do it, we are probably lacking a playmaker, fullback and Centre Back that is comfortable at bringing the ball out from the back and depth for this eleven.

But its definitely possible but i do need convincing such a way of playing and system could be achieved under Pardew.

We signing a '98 Robby Carlos to play in that system? No chance that's working. At least our best player is out of position though.

No chance that's working? You'll have to explain why such a common system would  not work. Ba has played that role plenty of times.

Stick in Taylor at CB there, Marvin Martin at AM and you're just a good LB away.

I'm not in direct disagreement with you btw, but it is something I'd like to see us try at some stage.

Guest neesy111

We signing a '98 Robby Carlos to play in that system? No chance that's working. At least our best player is out of position though.

No chance that's working? You'll have to explain why such a common system would  not work. Ba has played that role plenty of times.

Stick in Taylor at CB there, Marvin Martin at AM and you're just a good LB away.

You'd need to find a Dani Alves type LB to fill that role.  No chance of us getting one.

It's totally lopsided, you've moved our most potent striker to a position that isn't his best. IMO Ba is nothing but a CF. Fuck playing him as an inverted wide man.

You'd need to find a Dani Alves type LB to fill that role.  No chance of us getting one.

Cissokho maybe?

I see what you're saying all right. However, Barcelona (I hate to use Barca, but the example will do for now) play that system with Abidal at LB, he's hardly a flying fullback. It could work.

It's totally lopsided, you've moved our most potent striker to a position that isn't his best. IMO Ba is nothing but a CF. f*** playing him as an inverted wide man.

I do agree in principle. But I am a bit worried about the potential Ba - Cisee partnership and how it could work.

Against poor sides just throwing them together should work often enough. However, against sides looking to control the game from the middle, and especially against sides with three in there i think we'll struggle going 4-4-2 with that partnership.

It's totally lopsided, you've moved our most potent striker to a position that isn't his best. IMO Ba is nothing but a CF. f*** playing him as an inverted wide man.

I meant having him close to as SS a possible as to me thats what he is, perhaps i drew it wrong because thats not what i tried to portray.

My main plan from it was saying that i think we need to play 4-3-3 because as far as iam concerned 4-4-2 is too open and simple for the future of football and also to me we need an extra body in middle of midfield to link the attack.

Cabaye and Tiote are left on a island sometimes, so to me we need to somehow fit Ba, Cisse and HBA in a front 3.

Also i dont think 4-3-1-2 can work in England where play is so dominated by wing play.

Guest daveaha

What we want isn't really "attacking" football, its possession football which isn't always the same thing. Swansea has conceded (and scored) fewer goals than us, simply because they hold on to the ball so much better than everyone else.

I'd also like to think that they've proven that you don't need Barca-level players to play good possession football.

I dont want possession football, possession football is boring as f*ck.

I just want us to pass through midfield instead of completely by passing it, theres a difference between possession football and a direct style based on accurate passing and wing play.

What you've described there is more or less the way Aston Villa used to play under Martin O'Neil, I think. It works, but eh, we have two, maybe three CMs very capable of strutting it around. Our wing play (Ben Arfa aside) is terrible most of the time anyway.

Not quite i should make myself more clear, i dont mind posession football, its possession without a purpose that i hate because its boring as hell to watch.....

I have fallen asleep watching Spain at times when they pass between thier back four and midfield without a purpose other than using possesssion to stop the opposition.

What i want to see and we are well capable of it is passing with a purpose and not just passing to keep the ball like Swansea do for example.

When i said direct i meant as little sideways and backwards passing as possible, the wingplay thing was said because it's clear what Pardew wants.

But quite frankly what i want to see in the long term future is this......

http://this11.com/boards/abChz36ag8.jpg

Heavily based on passing but trying to pass forward when ever possible and none of this sideways and backwards rubbish which is what i meant by "direct" dont confuse direct with long ball.

I think we can do it, we are probably lacking a playmaker, fullback and Centre Back that is comfortable at bringing the ball out from the back and depth for this eleven.

But its definitely possible but i do need convincing such a way of playing and system could be achieved under Pardew.

Only when playing home we can use this IMO.  Using this vs Spurs, Citeh or Arsenal away could be suicidal (based on this year performance)...

UNLESS - we have a very good CM like Silva who can dictate the tempo and flow...

Meanwhile, the club will look to re-negotiate Cabaye’s contract next season as they bid to keep the core of their side together.

Cabaye was signed on a lucrative five-year deal in June and has impressed in his first year in the Premier League, attracting the attention of scouts from Manchester United and Arsenal.

United are not looking at rewarding him just yet, but will look at the situation in 2013 – in line with their general policy of re-negotiating when a player is playing above themselves.

Managing director Derek Llambias explained the club’s thinking on contracts: “We try to give ourselves two years. Once they come up to two years we’ll sit down with their agents.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/03/18/danny-guthrie-set-to-quit-newcastle-this-summer-79310-30561680/