Yohan Cabaye retires

I don't think Cabaye is even close to Speeds ability.

:thup: 98-02 Speed is better. Brilliant box-to-box midfielder. More suited to the PL than Cabaye, tbh.

Solano-Speed-Dyer-Robert

It wouldnt be Speed making way for Cabaye, IMO.  He'd be fighting it out with Dyer

Comparing players from different era's always seems a slightly pointless exercise to me. Cabaye is one of the best midfielders in the league imo and he would improve every team, imo he's better than Arteta, but Arsenal one would be more dubious. He does have his faults, he's rash and slow.

:thup: 98-02 Speed is better. Brilliant box-to-box midfielder. More suited to the PL than Cabaye, tbh.

More suited to 98-02 PL maybe. Speed was a 100% player but he was only really effective from set pieces in the opposition half.

Solano-Speed-Dyer-Robert

It wouldnt be Speed making way for Cabaye, IMO.  He'd be fighting it out with Dyer

Wouldn't be much of a fight, tbh. When that midfield was available I fancied us to beat anyone.

Solano-Speed-Dyer-Robert

Wouldn't be much of a fight, tbh. When that midfield was available I fancied us to beat anyone.

Would surely have beeen Jenas-Speed-Cabaye-Dyer-Bellamy with Shearer up front alone, if we had had the current manager, arf

Solano-Speed-Dyer-Robert

Would surely have beeen Jenas-Speed-Cabaye-Dyer-Bellamy with Shearer Shola up front alone, if we had had the current manager, arf

fyp

Watch him end up at Man Utd.

I've thought this for a while now....he's just the type of player they lack.

As for the Speed comparison, I don't think they are similar players but both decent....Speed was 100% a professional and dedicated whereas Cabaye, inevitably, is more of a mercenary.

As for the Speed comparison, I don't think they are similar players but both decent....Speed was 100% a professional and dedicated whereas Cabaye, inevitably, is more of a mercenary.

Where do you get that last line from? :lol:

He played for his boyhood club all his career, then moved to a bigger league.

He was a mixed bag today and showed the good the bad and the ugly of his game. If you like we got to see every side of Cabaye today. He's a class act though and for a spell he was just coasting in the middle of the park picking it up, giving it, getting it back, looking forwards for that RIGHT ball all the time. Enjoy him while it lasts because he won't be with us much longer. The best CM we've had since Rob Lee in his pomp for me. Speed was more consistent but not as classy in terms of vision and passing as Cabaye and less of a goal threat too. 3.5m is an absolute f***ing steal. Even though he was having an off day he was head and shoulders above anyone in a red shirt in that CM area.

A good summary, HTT and I agree with most of it. He IS a class act and won't be here long.

We'll miss him when he goes because he has a habit of scoring great goals and not many in m/f ever get near.

Where do you get that last line from? :lol:

He played for his boyhood club all his career, then moved to a bigger league.

Because he is a foreigner - where do you think..? He played for Lille for many years, yes, but he wants success now.

As far as he can, he enjoys playing for us but he feels his time is up now...Speedo would never have left us although he was older than Cabaye. I don't blame Cabaye for his wanting a move either because he is ambitious; he was ambitious for us too, but he sees that the people running the club don't really share his views.

So how does that make him a mercenary? What's the difference between Cabaye leaving his boyhood club to join us, and Speed leaving his to join us?

Guest hatem garrincha

He's a lot more technically gifted than Speed ever was.

And he's not a 'mercenary'  :lol:

He's a lot more technically gifted than Speed ever was.

I don't really see it as a contest. I loved Speed, but he's got nothing on Cabaye technically. He's stronger in other areas than Cabaye though. He gets more involved in play throughout the 90, was more solid defensively and was fantastic aerially. They both have similar weaknesses to their games in that neither are the quickest or can drive at defences, but it's just not the type of players they are, I suppose.

Speed's shooting wasn't great as I recall. He probably scored a few, but I remember him missing a lot of very presentable chances and hoping the ball never fell to him on the deck in goalscoring positions :lol:.

Speed was a typical British midfielder 100% blood and thunder get up and down the pitch all day type.

Saying speed had more footballing ability than Cabaye is just incorrect.

I can't see Roma having the money to buy Cabaye as it would cost them in the region of 25 million euros. If De Rossi leaves I guess its a possibility but he seems he will follow Tottis lead and end his career at Roma