Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Did i read somewhere that we were the only premiership club not to score from a direct free kick last season, or some shit like that?

I know last night wasn't a league game, but between taylor and cabaye it'd be interesting to see how many free kicks we convert this season. I bet we're 5 or 6 points better off on this aspect alone. Just a though like.

Was a fucking belter btw.

He was okay, passed the ball well enough. Couple of really nice balls looking for Ba. I thought surprisingly Guthrie was the more involved of the two though, he carried the ball forward more often and actually seemed to cover a lot of ground by his standards.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Hope this puts an end to the "Ryan Taylor, over the wall" myth. Cabaye must take all from the central area, Raylor can have the wide ones and possibly corners.

Agree with Nath, Yohan needs to start sharing the love with the fans, take a yellow for piling into the front row. (when i'm in it).

Did i read somewhere that we were the only premiership club not to score from a direct free kick last season, or some shit like that?

I know last night wasn't a league game, but between taylor and cabaye it'd be interesting to see how many free kicks we convert this season. I bet we're 5 or 6 points better off on this aspect alone. Just a though like.

Was a fucking belter btw.

Barton scored one against Villa.

Did i read somewhere that we were the only premiership club not to score from a direct free kick last season, or some s*** like that?

Was a f***ing belter btw.

Barton's goal against Villa wasn't a direct free kick. Great goal though.

Did i read somewhere that we were the only premiership club not to score from a direct free kick last season, or some s*** like that?

Interesting. I remember it different for some reason.

Interesting. I remember it different for some reason.

he had enough time onthe ball that it would have seemed like one!

Guest Rey Mysterio

Raylor would've scored one against Chelsea if it hadn't been for Jonas' arse.

thought jonas deflected it in?

Jonas deflected it in, hence we didn't score a direct free kick.

Aye, was just a long range shot.

Thought Yohan was alright although his corners were extremely poor. Every other one seemed to hit the first man  :undecided:

I agree but I think the plan was to avoid sticking it in the middle - that would have been meat and drink for Samba every time. There is never any excuse for not beating the first man, however, I can see what he was trying to do e.g. Ba's goal at Wolves

Aye, was just a long range shot.

Thought Yohan was alright although his corners were extremely poor. Every other one seemed to hit the first man  :undecided:

Read that from a few people now.  After a promising start with his corners, he's been a bit poor with them of late.  There were quite a few against Wigan and Spurs that just hit the first man or failed to get near an NUFC player.

What about if you are targeting the near post for your corners, looking for flick ons or for a striker to nick in ahead of his marker? I think in that case you can expect to hit the first man quite often

Well yes, it is obvious we're doing it a lot more since the Ba goal at Wolves.  Still a bit shit when most of your corners go to waste because you don't even clear the first man.

Always said that teams should put someone in front of the first man.  I know you're trying to clear them and it takes someone out of the box, but I think it would be worth it to have someone there to give it back to the corner taker and wing it in again, considering the amount of times even good teams lose the ball this way.  Especially as, by that point, the set piece defending drill has already gone through its motions and you're a bit more likely to catch them off guard.

Just watched his free kick again. Tremendous.

I've just watched it for the first time. It's superb. Especially for a high pressure situation.

Newcastle ace Yohan Cabaye has revealed he could have joined Aston Villa before making the move to St James' Park in the summer.

Cabaye has proved to be an instant hit at Newcastle since arriving from French champions Lille, but he admits his future could have been different as Aston Villa were keen on signing him.

The French international claims he could have made the switch to Villa Park if fellow Frenchman Gerard Houllier had remained in charge, but with the former Liverpool boss stepping down over the summer the move fell through.

Cabaye, who has been instrumental in Newcastle's unbeaten start in the Premier League, also played down talk linking him with Arsenal and insists he is happy with his choice to join the Magpies.

Live on Sky Sports

"My name was being linked with clubs left, right and centre for two years, but there were no firm contacts," Cabaye is quoted as saying in The People.

"I had the possibility of going to Aston Villa. But it depended upon whether Gerard Houllier was going to continue in charge and as he ended up not staying I did not join them.

"A lot of people thought that I was going to sign for Arsenal this summer, but Newcastle were all I had.

"I was never in contact with anybody at Arsenal. They made some enquiries but that was as far as it went.

Impressed

"The only person I spoke to on the phone was Alan Pardew, and I really liked what he had to say.

"If it was all about money I would now be in Russia and not in Newcastle. Many people did not understand my decision but it was easy for me.

"The Premier League is the best in the world and I'm happy with my choice. "

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7281342/Cabaye-happy-with-choice

Whew, thank fuck for that.