Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

re mole and wil...

he played like he did in that 6 win spell season before last, much further forward doing all the work chasing so the wider two can drop onto the full backs (re watch the swansea away game)

Oh i agree, he was very important to how we played his work rate for example was fantastic.

I just felt that he could of expressed himself a little more, i'm sure that will come though first start of the season and all that.

Log on to www.nufc.co.uk on Monday for an exclusive interview with Cabaye, where he reveals all about the transfer window and his future at Newcastle.

Going to be some PR spin that the club has suggested he do.

As for his performance, agree that it was fairly average but certainly no worse. He will have much better days if we stick with this system.

He worked very hard indeed, and did the simple things OK, but the creative stuff just didn't come off for him. Noted 3 or 4 times when he sharp filled in at LB after Santon had been further up the pitch with Villa on the counter attack. Very important to see players (who are apparently in a huff) do this sort of thing, as it shows commitment and good preparation.

Thought he did while we were in possession, but he over-committed in an almost prideful way when he lost the ball (similar to what Beckham used to do), and Villa just pinged the ball around him and opened up space in the middle of the park. Ah well, still rate him and think he'll come good again.

Hasn't played as the furthest forward midfielder for about 2 years so think it just needs time. Certainly helped us having him constantly pressing their players high up the pitch.

Think that position will suit him better in home games where he will get more time to try and pick out runs of the front 3 and thread the ball through like we know he can.

Hasn't played as the furthest forward midfielder for about 2 years so think it just needs time. Certainly helped us having him constantly pressing their players high up the pitch.

Think that position will suit him better in home games where he will get more time to try and pick out runs of the front 3 and thread the ball through like we know he can.

no reason why he couldn't rotate that furthest up pressing role with sissoko.

He clearly wasn't quite there in terms of fitness, his passing was off but you could see the ideas he had (with Cisse in particular).

Would agree with that and he worked very hard.  I certainly think his involvement contributed to the overall improvement in the style of play.

I have a feeling this "interview" will just be some shit that the club have told him to go out and say. I for one don't believe that Cabaye chose not to play or wasn't professional enough to play. I reckon the club seen an opportunity to make money and possibly re-invest it into other areas of the team. Especially as midfield is where we have most cover (despite Cabaye probably being our best CM). Regardless of what is said here, I'll still probably believe that. Will be interesting in years to come what is said once Ashley and / or Cabaye have fucked off. He is our player until January at least and he's seemed professional / committed enough so far so that will do for me. If he thinks a move to a 'bigger' club increases his chance of playing in a World Cup then who can really blame him. None of us want to see him go. However, all those who bleed Black and White are becoming disillusioned with the club and it's lack of ambition, and even we are sick of the lies and deceit. So how must a Frenchman, who has been sold this lie to get him here (and his friends) feel when there is lack of progress?

To put it in perspective, if I wanted to play for England at a World Cup and was currently at Montpellier, where they were (theoretically) doing what we are, and I was on €60,000 a week, and I had a chance to be at PSG on €80,000 a week, and around better players, in Europe and have Hodgson watching, I know where I would be too.

I hate to say it like, and I still believe he was being pushed as opposed to 'forcing a move out'.

(unless I have missed some comments made previously...)

Don't know if the France team has anything to do with it, he was already getting picked regularly wasn't he? Until he went in a strop.

Apparently.

You could be right like, the France team might have nowt to do with it...

I don't think the France team had anything to do with it either.  I do think he did not expect to be dropped from the French team and that would have been a shock and it may also affect his thinking about a potential move.  If indeed (and I am sceptical) the reports about Arsenal baulking at paying more than £10m for a "squad" player are true and that is something Cabaye is aware of then he would have to choose his next club carefully if he wants to be part of the French squad.  He only needs to look at what has happened to Ba since he left for bigger things.  January buys often seem to be a reaction to how the team is performing at the time so by the time Summer comes along, such buys are often discarded by the bigger clubs.

The World Cup will surely have a bearing on any potential moves for our players.  This could well be Cabaye's only chance to play in a World Cup and at the moment there are 5+ players in our team who could be in that squad.  If our teams gels and Ben Arfa, Remy, Cabaye and Sissoko build up a good understanding between them and score goals they will all have to be seriously considered by Deschamps.  If any of them move in January then they don't play then their chances of selection will be affected.

Going back to Cabaye, I have always been of the opinion that he is an ambitious guy and despite other managers saying they always knew about him, no other club seemingly ever made a bid for him when he was at Lille.  I think he saw us as a platform to attract the bigger clubs.  If you look at his website, a couple of the articles by other players say they rate him so highly that they expect him to be playing for one of the major clubs within a couple of years.  I guess he probably agreed with those sentiments.

Yohan Cabaye has apologised to Newcastle fans following reports of a move away from Tyneside, insisting he is fully committed to the Magpies' cause.

After being the subject of an unsuccessful bid from Arsenal during the transfer window, Cabaye was not involved in United's first three games of the new season - against Manchester City, West Ham and Morecambe.

However, he returned to the bench as Fulham came to Tyneside late last month and was back in the starting line-up for the first time on Saturday, inspiring the Magpies to a 2-1 victory at Aston Villa.

Substituted two minutes from time at Villa Park, Cabaye received a fantastic ovation from the travelling supporters and, speaking exclusively to nufc.co.uk, the French midfielder could not hide his delight at returning to the fold.

"It was very, very good to be back in the team; a really nice feeling," he revealed.

"The most important thing for me is to be on the pitch and to play. I want to do my best for the Club, for the team, for everyone and, of course, I want to win every game we play.

"(The ovation) was very nice to hear. If the fans were - or still are - mad at me for what happened then I understand and I apologise to them.

"I want to come back from what has happened.

"For Newcastle fans, football is their life and I want to say that I am going to give everything - as I have from my first day here - from today until the end of the season."

When asked how he was feeling after a tough few weeks for both him and the Club, Cabaye replied: "I'm okay. This is football.

"In your career you do not have a career without bad moments.

"I have moved on and now in my head I just want to work really hard, to get back in the team every week and to help the team - that is the most important thing for me.

"I want to forget what happened during the summer, I want to put it behind me and give everything for Newcastle every day, for the Club and for my teammates."

With a World Cup on the horizon, the French international knows he needs to be playing regularly - and playing well - if he wants to be in with a chance of representing Les Bleus in Brazil.

And when quizzed if he could achieve his dreams as a Newcastle player, Cabaye's response was immediate.

"Yes, why not?" he said.

"I went to the European Championships playing for Newcastle so yes, I am confident that if I am on the pitch and playing well in the Premier League then I have a good chance of going to the World Cup.

"It is a good thing to be here (at Newcastle) in the World Cup year, if we (France) qualify."

Since a heavy opening day defeat at Manchester City, United have gone four games unbeaten in all competitions, only conceding once in that time.

Encouraging performances have given hope that last season's Premier League struggles are consigned to history and that a brighter campaign is in store.

Whether Cabaye would be a part of that has been up for debate, and following the closure of the transfer window, the question on everyone's lips has been whether he is happy to still be pulling on the back and white stripes.

But the former Lille man quickly put that one to bed.

"Yes, of course," he said. "I was happy and I am still happy.

"I just want to try and score goals and play well.

"It is important I do that because Newcastle is my club and there is a World Cup at the end of the season, which I want to play in.

"It is very important to be right in my head and I am."

Guest firetotheworks

Meh, it all means nothing to me. I've learned not to ever believe in loyalty. Carroll leaving broke me in terms of that, so I'll never believe in anything like that again.

He looked far more comfortable being pushed up to be honest. Which I've always felt his close control near the box would be lacking; but it lets Sissoko and Anita be better at their roles as central midfielders in holding/box2box. For me, if we need to take Cabaye off or he's unavailable for selection, his direct repalcement should be Marv and our system shouldn't change.

He'll get some of his long range shots going now that he's further up and I do like that he's not wasting energy trying to tackle or run around and concentrating the majority of his game using his creativity and passing.