Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. Considering what's happened with the media in recent years I'm stunned that anyone could believe the club give a flying fuck about them.

The media or the players? If we were so desperate to advertise our players through the media I am not sure how banning the local rags would help that. Unless we thought SD.com was a sufficient brochure.

Well that's just it, you can twist the written word quite easily. Quotes can be shortened or strung together with other sections and instantly you get an inaccurate reflection of what's said. I'm not saying these journalists are chronic liars or constantly twisting him into a position of no return. However, with Yohan Cabaye as an example, I've only ever seen Pardew want to discuss his talent and how important a cog he is for the football club.

It's the same with demanding that Wendy Taylor just sort it. When it's in the public domain you can't erase it. If you even try and exact a minute degree of control on the press you're painted as an Orwellian dictator by that very same press.

I do appreciate what you're saying about refusing to comment, but even that is fraught with potential pitfalls. Just evaluate the way those stories are written. They include adjectives in place of quotes. They paint him as 'visibly riled' or 'defiant'.

In my opinion it's best to look at the situation holistically. We're a club that looks to invest in talent with growth potential. We sign players for what we feel is below their true market value. I think we explain this to them. Once we've had the benefit of a good player for a few seasons we entertain bidders and look to maximise our profit margin. It's not ambitious, it's not exciting, but it's how we are at present.

We're being told by some in this thread that Pardew isn't trying to sell the player, your last paragraph suggests that he might be.

A 'no comment' would be read into and twisted I'm sure, at least if be did it now given his history of commenting on speculation.

If he did it consistently over an extended period of time though I'd imagine after a while people would get the message. You'd still have some people looking to twist it every time, but I couldn't envisage them getting much traction with it.

I've long given up listening to a word the man says about anything though.

Reach for those straws Mick, reach up real high :lol:

What else could "Once we've had the benefit of a good player for a few seasons we entertain bidders and look to maximise our profit margin" mean?

The guardian have a vid up saying "pardew dodges question on Cabaye's future" I do think it's fair to say he can't win, I'm just concerned about the message to the player, imo he should be repeating that we want to keep cabaye and nothing about how he is for sale. If the player thinks his manager is saying he can go for the right bid he may get his agent looking for offers (albeit he probably is doing this anyway)

He doesn't even have to say anything as blunt as 'no comment'. Just not go on and on every fucking day about how we're as vulnerable as Wigan Athletic. Cabaye is our player and we should be looking to keep him unless something extraordinary happens. End of story.

The guardian have a vid up saying "pardew dodges question on Cabaye's future" I do think it's fair to say he can't win, I'm just concerned about the message to the player, imo he should be repeating that we want to keep cabaye and nothing about how he is for sale. If the player thinks his manager is saying he can go for the right bid he may get his agent looking for offers (albeit he probably is doing this anyway)

"Pardew dodges question on Cabaye's future" is meaningless.  How is that him being unable to win?

Well that's just it, you can twist the written word quite easily. Quotes can be shortened or strung together with other sections and instantly you get an inaccurate reflection of what's said. I'm not saying these journalists are chronic liars or constantly twisting him into a position of no return. However, with Yohan Cabaye as an example, I've only ever seen Pardew want to discuss his talent and how important a cog he is for the football club.

It's the same with demanding that Wendy Taylor just sort it. When it's in the public domain you can't erase it. If you even try and exact a minute degree of control on the press you're painted as an Orwellian dictator by that very same press.

I do appreciate what you're saying about refusing to comment, but even that is fraught with potential pitfalls. Just evaluate the way those stories are written. They include adjectives in place of quotes. They paint him as 'visibly riled' or 'defiant'.

In my opinion it's best to look at the situation holistically. We're a club that looks to invest in talent with growth potential. We sign players for what we feel is below their true market value. I think we explain this to them. Once we've had the benefit of a good player for a few seasons we entertain bidders and look to maximise our profit margin. It's not ambitious, it's not exciting, but it's how we are at present.

We're being told by some in this thread that Pardew isn't trying to sell the player, your last paragraph suggests that he might be.

Apologies, allow me to clarify. The 'we' in that sense is Mike Ashley and the club's higher ups. It serves no benefit for alan Pardew to sell his best players ,but I'm sure you know that.

Guest strongbow69

He doesn't even have to say anything as blunt as 'no comment'. Just not go on and on every fucking day about how we're as vulnerable as Wigan Athletic. Cabaye is our player and we should be looking to keep him unless something extraordinary happens. End of story.

:thup:

"Pardew dodges question on Cabaye's future" is meaningless.  How is that him being unable to win?

I mean it's taken by press he's for sale if he says anything or not  :tongue: That said I agree Pardew could handle it a lot better.

Apologies, allow me to clarify. The 'we' in that sense is Mike Ashley and the club's higher ups. It serves no benefit for alan Pardew to sell his best players ,but I'm sure you know that.

I don't know if it benefits him or not although it has been suggested that he may financially benefit from player sales, he's still putting the players name about as possibly being available.  He's almost inviting bids for Cabaye.

Guest bimpy474

Manure fans want to sign him on 606. I wonder how much he would go for - yesterday's performance might have added a few quid to his value. Can't see us accepting less than £25m.

£25m plus Hernandez.

30m before deadline, 35 on deadline day ROFL you can see it happening again....

He'd get them into the Champions League IMO.

Carrick        Cabaye

Januzaj                            Rooney                              Nani

Van Persie.

Guest bimpy474

I think Man Utd would be better off buying Tiote, they have Carrick and Kagawa that can do the Cabaye type stuff. Its genuine s steel in the middle they're missing

This opinion will delight and disgust people on here in equal measure :lol:

I think Man Utd would be better off buying Tiote, they have Carrick and Kagawa that can do the Cabaye type stuff. Its genuine s steel in the middle they're missing

They have zero creativity in central midfield. Cabaye would be perfect for them but they can fuck off.