Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

That's "how it is" because that's the mentality that they've chosen to take. We're designed to sit in mid table and make profit from selling Frenchmen.

Well, partly, and partly because of length of time since we've been a regular CL club. I don't want it to happen either, but it's not like we're offloading our best players constantly.

“Am I confident (of retaining Cabaye)? No. I don't think any team not in a Champions League position, or fighting for a Champions League position, would be different.”

I'm not saying we will get in the Champions League, but we're 7 points off of 4th so arguably we can still fight for the place. What a negative cunt. I hate the prick.

That's "how it is" because that's the mentality that they've chosen to take. We're designed to sit in mid table and make profit from selling Frenchmen.

Well, partly, and partly because of length of time since we've been a regular CL club. I don't want it to happen either, but it's not like we're offloading our best players constantly.

Probably says more about our best players.

I dunno how I feel about all this.  I remember the feeling when we sold Waddle, Beardsley and Gascoigne because the players wanted to go to a club that matched their ambitions.  I get a similar feeling now – not quite so bad as those were local lads – but even so it’s hard to stomach.  We aren’t THAT far away from being a decent side, but it would mean showing some ambition on the part of the owner and not this ‘no capital outlay’ bollocks.  But that won’t happen and as per usual it’s the supporters who have to just grin and bear it.  You’d think after thirty odd years of this I’d jack it in. This fucking club man.

We're going to really rue selling him in January.

Don't think it matters much honestly, we are finishing 8th or 9th regardless and he's going in the summer anyway if he doesn't go now.

That's only positive we can take, it's basically just ruined our very slim chance of finishing top 6 and going to make top 8 a bit harder. No major damage done by the sale if it goes through. Awful to think we may never see him at St James' ever again :'(

Only thing stopping me being convinced he's leaving is the fact I don't see Ashley accepting a low offer. The way Pardew goes on about him and that, I think everyone at the club will be aware of his qualities and his value to this team. They will know he's worth far more than £14m in todays market and I'm not sure anyone will stump up the £20m+ to get him in this window.

Be sad if it does happen though. Would make the rest of the season pretty shit as we just hobble over the line to a possible 8th or 9th.

Pardew: "we would need to bring someone in, that's for sure. You can't lose someone of his ability and not replace him."

This is from George Caulkin btw.

Aye, he knows this.

Some part of me just doesn't trust Kinnear to negotiate/convice Cabella/his angry bosses or Grenier to join us within the forthcoming four days.

Unfortunately for Alan(and us more importantly) he has no say in that whatsoever.

Yup. He could just be saying it in public to put some pressure on those who are calling the shots. I still can't quite believe that Kinnear might be involved in this process  :jesuswept:

Won't happen but I'd give Bigi a few starts if Cabaye is sold and not replaced immediately.

Aye might as well, he looked good when he had an extended run last season.

Could be good alongside Anita and Tiote and by selling Cabaye we give up any chance of Europe anyway.

Was inevitable he was going to leave us; but can't help but think this could have been mitigated with some ambition, and not even one that requires enormous amounts of cash.

Such a shame man. When he eventually leaves, we'll have lost one of the classiest players we've ever had. He was incredibly influential and getting other players here by all accounts -- very worried how well get on without him in our side.

You mean play bigi in the advanced role Cabaye has been playing? With Anita and Tiote behind?

Is that you Pards?

I never said anything about any advanced role tbf.

I'd play a flat 3 in midfield with a flat front 3 of Remy and Ben Arfa flanking Gouff.

I don't believe the goal is to sell constantly, I believe they value stability and their ultimate goal with sales is to sell someone when they're at their peak value to one of the wealthier clubs, looking to make big profits on fewer sales.

But I don't buy that Yohan Cabaye would be desperate to go play in France again, if he felt he was at a club that actually had ambitions of getting into the CL, or winning a competition. I think it'd be a different story if it was an English/Spanish CL contender (see Arsenal), but I think his desire to goto PSG isn't out of any great love for PSG, it's just his only feasible option of achieving something.

I wouldn't be too distraught if it meant one of Grenier/Cabella came in, I think they'd be a better fit for the current system, in the long run . I just have no faith that we'd get one of them.

I want both :)

Guest palnese

You mean play bigi in the advanced role Cabaye has been playing? With Anita and Tiote behind?

Is that you Pards?

I never said anything about any advanced role tbf.

I'd play a flat 3 in midfield with a flat front 3 of Remy and Ben Arfa flanking Gouff.

And leave Remy even more isolated up front? I'd rather bring Marveaux back from the dead.

I don't believe the goal is to sell constantly, I believe they value stability and their ultimate goal with sales is to sell someone when they're at their peak value to one of the wealthier clubs, looking to make big profits on fewer sales.

But I don't buy that Yohan Cabaye would be desperate to go play in France again, if he felt he was at a club that actually had ambitions of getting into the CL, or winning a competition. I think it'd be a different story if it was an English/Spanish CL contender (see Arsenal), but I think his desire to goto PSG isn't out of any great love for PSG, it's just his only feasible option of achieving something.

Aye, don't disagree with any of that really.

“Am I confident (of retaining Cabaye)? No. I don't think any team not in a Champions League position, or fighting for a Champions League position, would be different.”

I'm not saying we will get in the Champions League, but we're 7 points off of 4th so arguably we can still fight for the place. What a negative c***. I hate the prick.

So at the moment you think we are fighting for Champions League spot because the table says we are 7 points off. Fucking hell  :lol: