Twitter nonsense

Thespence

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’d argue if we finish top 7 next season we haven’t gone backwards at all.

Top7 would be great. The competition is a lot lot harder next season. We will most likely be nowhere near top4, but that is not a worry for me.

The fact we are supposedly using the rest of the budget on Barnes suggests we aren’t done in the market after tbh. I just can’t see how the club would spend the rest of the money on a position we aren’t in desperate need for.

For me the article is him having a go at the club who played him on the Barella transfer.

Tin hat on. I think the slapheed prick could right to a certain degree. However it’ll only be justified if we don’t make the right moves in the next six weeks, not now.

We are financially constrained. The system designed to protect the established order is working. Not in Year 1, or Year 2, but coming into Year 3. 

We’ve got fantastic players now, probably 15 of them in the squad who are either great or brimming with potential to be that, but to manage fatigue and injuries, we’ll need to go closer to 20, especially after the ridiculously congested calendar of the last two years. We have some massive key men dependencies and some shallow pools of players in certain positions. I think most of us wanted to see quality depth and challenge added across the back four and this hasn’t happened *yet*. 

There will have to be difficult decisions made. I think Maxi will be this window’s sacrificial lamb and that won’t be a surprise. But we’ll need to do this iteratively, window by window, until such a time as we have a stockpile of Caciedo or Cucarella pure profit plays, or a crop of sellable youngsters. There will be some Andy Cole heartbreaks on the way but we will get there over an elongated timescale.

Give me this over a Mike Ashley doom spiral any day.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

The fact we are supposedly using the rest of the budget on Barnes suggests we aren’t done in the market after tbh. I just can’t see how the club would spend the rest of the money on a position we aren’t in desperate need for.

For me the article is him having a go at the club who played him on the Barella transfer.

Agreed.. no way we use our remaining budget on Barnes.

We wanted a club that tries.  Pushing ourselves to the edge of FFP with almost £300 million spent in less than 2 years, on top of everything else they’re doing with infrastructure, staff, board level appointments shows we’re doing just that. It’s an over dramatic article with a wiff of cynicism for the sake of it. Get In the bin

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

“Players you like may have to leave to address everything we want to”

Is the key sentence in that I think. It's felt for a while that setting the pretext to sell a popular player. Most likely ASM.

He’s literally the only option isn’t he ? Other than post takeover players, I don’t see anyone other than Maxi making decent money.

12 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Tin hat on. I think the slapheed prick could right to a certain degree. However it’ll only be justified if we don’t make the right moves in the next six weeks, not now.

We are financially constrained. The system designed to protect the established order is working. Not in Year 1, or Year 2, but coming into Year 3. 

We’ve got fantastic players now, probably 15 of them in the squad who are either great or brimming with potential to be that, but to manage fatigue and injuries, we’ll need to go closer to 20, especially after the ridiculously congested calendar of the last two years. We have some massive key men dependencies and some shallow pools of players in certain positions. I think most of us wanted to see quality depth and challenge added across the back four and this hasn’t happened *yet*. 

There will have to be difficult decisions made. I think Maxi will be this window’s sacrificial lamb and that won’t be a surprise. But we’ll need to do this iteratively, window by window, until such a time as we have a stockpile of Caciedo or Cucarella pure profit plays, or a crop of sellable youngsters. There will be some Andy Cole heartbreaks on the way but we will get there over an elongated timescale.

Agreed 

18 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

He can only be right in that he's been saying that we only had about 75mill to spend OR that we haven't got the backing as expected.

He been saying what was expected was about the 75mill. He's right and wrong as he seems to want to cover a few bases so he can point to being  right afterwards and ignoring when he got it wrong. We can all do it. I'll predict we'll win a cup next season......... and also predict we wo t, whichever one it is I'll remind you of that prediction.

32 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Tbf we signed Gordon in January when we were desperate for a centre-mid. I think the club just jumps on deals when the prices for our targets are in line with our valuations. 

5 minutes ago, JP said:

Nmecha

Barella

Livramento

Say no more about Edwards validity 

He’s had a proper stinker of a summer.

Also looking not further back “NUFC to ditch cautious approach” followed by how we have a limited budget not long after.

He’s been frozen out by the club. They’ve used him as a pawn in the pursuit for Tonali and his recent article screams complete bitterness. 

Still think we will sign 2 or 3 more after Barnes.

Also thinking Botman, Isak, Gordon, Bruno will improve again this season as will Willock and Joelinton. We also have Anderson who I think will come on more this season and showed signs at end of last.

Not worried at all as I think we have added quality with Tonali and have a strong, athletic and box to box midfield. With wing options we can press all game.

Backup centre back and left back probably priority and it's about building on last season and not ripping it up. They will be hoping to start generating funds by players they get underneath first team such as Minteh, that Australian kid, Anderson, others being brought in youth teams or that it creates a pipeline to first team to save loads in future.

We need to just enjoy the ride, champions league will be difficult anyway, we can't spend fortunes because of FFP shit and if we only finish 7-5th in league so be it, we will still have a cracking season and something else to build on.

29 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Tbf we signed Gordon in January when we were desperate for a centre-mid. I think the club just jumps on deals when the prices for our targets are in line with our valuations. 

And when they fit with Howes long term plans.. again I go back to the clip where Howe welcomes Gordon at the training ground and says he has been tracking him for years.

Sometimes these things fall into place

Every window journalists have been fed the line about a budget and every window we have gone above that.

I actually think they had been given a ballpark budget by the club, not so the club can try and fool other clubs about what we have to spend but more that it was what we had budgeted for as part of a bigger plan.

The issue is that the owners are ambitious and want us to kick on so every window we went that little further than we wanted to and that has impacted the budget for future windows, which is why we are in the position we are in now.

There is only one way we can overcome FFP in the short term and that is the sell players, people will point to the likes of Lewis and Hayden but these players are worth next to nothing, so it has to be a player or players that will command a decent fee that can be booked as profit.

Otherwise we stick with what we have, spend limited amounts and hope someone will do us a loan to buy deal but that sort of player might not be on the list.

Without overspending last year to get Isak we don't get Champions League imo. That then doesn't unlock the revenue from the CL, limits the size of new sponsorship deal, stops us signing Tonali. Etc.

Unlike the previous owner the club fully understands that in modern football the more you spend the more you get back. I trust them to keep investing strongly, because it just makes long term economic sense to do so at this level, even if they are also wary of the fact that we will need to stay within FFP in terms of wage bill and fees.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Also, if we our FFP limit, why would that have fans questioning the clubs strategy? It would mean they've spent as much as they possibly could have to improve the team over the last 18 or so months.

I agree with this, there can be no accusations of the company not backing Howe in the transfer market or a lack of ambition.

If we can get away with spending it we will.