Paul Scholes retires

Taylor Swift

Guest BooBoo

And there goes another part of Man Utd 'golden generation'. I guess it'll be Giggs' last season next year. And after that probably Fergie to go.

After that it will depend heavily on who they'll appoint as their new manager in order to not fall apart.

It'll be strange when Fergie goes as I think they'll probably revert to having managers who last 3-4 years which will be very strange for a club who have had a patriarchal figure presiding over affairs for the last 25 years. I think it'll almost certainly be Mourinho who takes the job.

Guest BooBoo

Great player, criminally under used by england. Shame the bugger had to keep scoring past us though!

Was he underused though? I thought he retired from England duty early as he couldn't be arsed with all the travelling?

And there goes another part of Man Utd 'golden generation'. I guess it'll be Giggs' last season next year. And after that probably Fergie to go.

After that it will depend heavily on who they'll appoint as their new manager in order to not fall apart.

It'll be strange when Fergie goes as I think they'll probably revert to having managers who last 3-4 years which will be very strange for a club who have had a patriarchal figure presiding over affairs for the last 25 years. I think it'll almost certainly be Mourinho who takes the job.

Agree. I also think Mourinho will only go there after winning the Champions League and the league with Real Madrid. After that I can see him settling down and staying at Man Utd for a long time before he ends his career with Portugal.

Guest Stephen927

Great player, criminally under used by england. Shame the bugger had to keep scoring past us though!

Was he underused though? I thought he retired from England duty early as he couldn't be arsed with all the travelling?

Towards the end of his time with England, he played a lot on the left of a diamond.

Guest Stephen927

I don't think Scholes has ever been underappreciated. His talent has always been clear for everyone to see. There does seem to have been a reluctance by many fans to put him in the very top bracket of midfielders, mind.

I don't think Scholes has ever been underappreciated. His talent has always been clear for everyone to see. There does seem to have been a reluctance by many fans to put him in the very top bracket of midfielders, mind.

Unable to dribble past the opponents is the key reason.

i think a combination of that and being shunted out to the left to accomodate lampard and gerrard

Guest firetotheworks

Cannot tackle for shit, but he's retired at a mint time. Fucking excellent player.

And thank fuck for that. 3 of them on the coaching staff, though. Wonder if anymore will follow back to Old Trafford sooner or later to join them. Imagine seeing them all sat on the bench still for the another 20 fucking years.

Great player, neat technical ability and passing, intelligent footballer, highly consistent throughout his career, but definitely not on the same level as the likes of Xavi etc. As someone else has said, main problem is that he didn't have the ability/mobility/agility to run with the ball, or turn players and carry it, so was restricted to playing a very basic passing game at higher levels with goals being the deciding factor as to whether he'd have a "standout" game or not. I'd sum his career up as:

Premiership: A great.

CL: Decent to good player (usually only "good" when scoring a goal).

Internationals: Poor. IMO he never actually played well no matter what position he played in. IIRC he had a few goals against Scotland or someone in one of the Euro's or Qualifiers, but aside from that he was usually anonymous and didn't look like the same player he was for ManU.

When people are saying the best midfielder of his generation do they mean Best English player?

He's not on the same level as Zidane.

To put things in perspective, Iniesta is basically a much better version of Scholes. And he's not even Barca's best midifelder...