Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Arguably his best game for us so far.  Looked strong, quick and showed some really classy touches and bits of skill.  He drops really deep at times to link up play, almost like we're playing 4-4-1-1, but he still manages to then get forward and into the box, his goal being the perfect example.  No wonder he came off, thought both he and Besty put a real shift in.

Guest firetotheworks

I think he probably isn't getting the plaudits he deserves tbh. I think the mixture of having a creative midfield, a solid defence, being unbeaten, Ba starting slowly, and the panic over not getting a perceived replacement for Carroll have all gone towards people slightly overlooking his goal tally so far, probably myself included.

Give him number 9 next season imo,start a tradition where you have to earn it for a season rather than getting it based on a transfer fee.

Also takes a bit of pressure away from anyone coming in.

:thup: Agree. That's what i do on computer games.

I think he's similar to Darren Bent in that he's a player I don't see the top clubs in the country ever going for however he can still bang goals in on a regular basis for whoever he plays for.

Agree.  Although his all round game and overall contribution is far better than Bent's IMO.  Although Bent is more prolific (I think).

I think he's similar to Darren Bent in that he's a player I don't see the top clubs in the country ever going for however he can still bang goals in on a regular basis for whoever he plays for.

Agree.  Although his all round game and overall contribution is far better than Bent's IMO.  Although Bent is more prolific (I think).

42% Bent

51% Ba

Over career stats :)

Bent has spent the bulk (or all of?) his career in the Premier League though, which means his stats are still really impressive. The main difference for me is that Bent looks shit if he's paired with another out-and-out striker and he has to be the 'main man' - Ba's proved he works well and scored goals with another 'proper' forward (Best, C.Cole last season) and in theory he should work with Ben Arfa behind him. We'll see.

Ba offers more than Bent outside of scoring though, he seems to me like a complete forward, big, strong, fast and skillful rather than just a goal poacher like Bent.

Yeah, I agree with that too. Ba will probably get more assists and influence the play more.

Ba offers more than Bent outside of scoring though, he seems to me like a complete forward, big, strong, fast and skillful rather than just a goal poacher like Bent.

Well I agree with you but I've been impressed with how effective Best is in the air and I think his hold up play is good too. A bit more movement and stay onside please.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Quite a bit better than Bent in terms of all round play. Very good player.

42% Bent

51% Ba

Over career stats :)

I knew it was worth putting the (I think) in there  :lol:

Didn't Bent only get 1 assist during his time with the mackems?

I really concurr with the above post about signing a left back to be top priority. So far Best has shown tremendous form, allways works himself into the box, same with Demba Ba. What we need is more attacking fullbacks who knows how to drill inn a cross and is comfortable defensively. Up top we got two adequate strikers, with ben arfa to mix into it along with Sammy and Vuckic as direct contenders to get gametime. Shola Ameobi can make a shift in at times aswell. And at a crisis situation I fully believe Marveaux could take the Ben Arfa spot and relish in it, looks a class act around that box area.