Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

He hasn't really been given a chance yet, and I think it was unfair on him, and a poor tactical choice by Pards to start him away to a strong team like Everton at goodison. He'll be a fine player for us in the EL, and against teams like Wigan og Swansea

Pre match loads on here were raving saying get in etc saying what a good bold move it was.

I'm not going to write him off yet but i still haven't seen anything from him that suggests he's ever going to make it here.

One poor half doesn't define a player.

You're right, but you'd never be able to tell the way the messageboards melt down about players after a bad 45 minutes where the whole team played like shit.

Almost as laughable as people seeing him as the saviour after 20 good minutes in a friendly or a carling cup game against some nobodies.

Looked so far off the pace tonight it was untrue. I'd still play him on Thurs though, needs the minutes and seems to be suited more to a less pressured / slower game.

I'm a fan but he was poor tonight. It took so long for Pardew to start him in the league and I fear tonight might've set him back further :(

This really. surprised we didn't play him on the left rather than shifting him and Ben Arfa to positions we haven't seen them in for a while. Still have alot of faith in him, he looked class in most appearances but got lost today. He needs to a get used to the premier league. 

He should probably look at David Silva to see how to be effective.

Strange comment that, think you need to expand on it to avoid seeming mental.

:lol: My usual casual scanning over posts lingered a lot longer than it should on that initial comment, thanks for pointing out the reason which is that it makes absolutely no sense :D

Guest firetotheworks

He should probably look at David Silva to see how to be effective.

Strange comment that, think you need to expand on it to avoid seeming mental.

There isn't a lot in common between the two of them, but Silva doesn't really have a fixed position, doesn't have a great deal of pace, is more technical than anything and is an effective attacking player. I think there's enough there for Marveaux to use him as someone to aspire to. I am in no way comparing their abilities, only their styles.

Again, a bit of a flair player (not to say a luxury player exactly) put on largely defensive duty and subsequently chastised - still not had a run of games (much less a run of games in the Premiership!) to adapt to the pace of English football. You couldn't pick a side with more bustle than Everton really. Looking forward to see how he comes along.

I don't think he's suited to the right. Some players like Ben Arfa seem to be at their best cutting in and dribbling but there were a few times Marveaux just ran into trouble cutting in. Didn't he always play on the left for Rennes? Think it should be there or nowhere for him.

Aye, really didn't understand him being on the right tbh, needed HBA there for his tracking back, marveaux did try but he was left in no mans land more often than not.

He's a good player and felt a bit sorry for him getting stuck in a new position on his first start in a while, HBA and Marv needed to switch and I feel like we would have seen more from the 2 of them.

Guest reefatoon

He was garbage last night, a complete passenger. It might pipe down the "drop Ba for him brigade for a bit though, which is always good news.

Lessons learned.

I felt sorry for him last night.Since when has being a defensive midfielder,I dont think It helped that Perch was playing behind him either.Its unfair to say that Ba played alot better which was obviously true but Ba wasnt asked to mark the full back.I think It was more down to Pardew getting the tactics wrong in the first half

Might sound a bit old fashioned but I would like to see him perform as an old fashioned winger, getting to the byline and getting decent crosses in for Ba and Cisse who are both good headers of the ball.

I actually thought that was the type of player he was like when we signed him (from youtube anyway), a Keith Gillespie sort.