Blaise Matuidi

Skeletor

I'm sure he'd be a good signing, but he wouldn't come cheap would he? We need a striker &/or a centre back more than another centre midfielder really.

We need a centre back?

In my opinion, the centre of midfield in the most important part of a football pitch, and you can never have enough quality players occupying that area.

Given Saylor and Williamson are both shite, I'd say we do need another centre back, yes.

It'd be nice to sign another CM to build strength in the squad, as we do need it, but the number 1 priority should be the first XI.

I'm sure he'd be a good signing, but he wouldn't come cheap would he? We need a striker &/or a centre back more than another centre midfielder really.

We need a centre back?

In my opinion, the centre of midfield in the most important part of a football pitch, and you can never have enough quality players occupying that area.

Tend to agree.

Do you rate Matuidi? (sorry of you've already answered this recently)

Given Saylor and Williamson are both s****, I'd say we do need another centre back, yes.

It'd be nice to sign another CM to build strength in the squad, as we do need it, but the number 1 priority should be the first XI.

they aren't shite.

We need a centre back?

Tend to agree.

I rate him pretty highly. He's not as good as some of the French press linking him to the likes of Arsenal would have you believe, but he's a class, physical, box to box midfielder who could actually play alongside Tiote and Cabaye/Barton if we use 4-3-3.

They're far from good. Both massive liabilities.

both of them are decent standard prem centre halves. unlikely to be chased by the top 6 or 7 but better than the anton ferdinands, gary caldwells and danny collins's of the league.

We need a centre back?

Tend to agree.

I rate him pretty highly. He's not as good as some of the French press linking him to the likes of Arsenal would have you believe, but he's a class, physical, box to box midfielder who could actually play alongside Tiote and Cabaye/Barton if we use 4-3-3.

:thup:

Good stuff. Hope we sign him.

Watching the Everton - Newcastle match from September; Barton, Nolan and Tiote is completely dominating the midfield, so I can`t help but think that a midfield trio consisting of Matuidi, Cabaye and Tiote will be absolutely tremendous. I`m not saying it`s that easily comparable, but isolated I say bring in Matuidi.

Guest Chubby Jason

All these players still need to gel with one another. So banking on them to immediately start dominating the opposition is asking for a bit much. It's one of the problems that will inevitably arise when you dismantle the team.

All these players still need to gel with one another. So banking on them to immediately start dominating the opposition is asking for a bit much. It's one of the problems that will inevitably arise when you dismantle the team.

thats my worry. i don't have much concern so far if players leave if they are replaced with the standard we have done so far but is it too much of a change ?

Guest firetotheworks

If Cabaye constantly wants the ball like Barton does, then I think it should work well. We have to give them time, remember Modric at Spurs for the first month or so? I remember doubting that we'd give him the time to gel that he had with Spurs.

both of them are decent standard prem centre halves. unlikely to be chased by the top 6 or 7 but better than the anton ferdinands, gary caldwells and danny collins's of the league.

They'll both cost us plenty of goals throughout the season and should really be replaced.

Assuming we do try to sign Matuidi/CM and not another CB, though, do people not think the midfield trio of Cabaye, Tiote and Matuidi, while all good players, would provide too much a defensive/deep unit? Pardew has already stated he'll want Cabaye to play in a deep lying playmaker type role, we've all seen how Tiote plays and Matuidi is not exactly an Iniesta style player. I wouldn't complain if we signed him, but I really don't think it's the role should be targeting the most.

They'll both cost us plenty of goals throughout the season and should really be replaced.

Assuming we do try to sign Matuidi/CM and not another CB, though, do people not think the midfield trio of Cabaye, Tiote and Matuidi, while all good players, would provide too much a defensive/deep unit? Pardew has already stated he'll want Cabaye to play in a deep lying playmaker type role, we've all seen how Tiote plays and Matuidi is not exactly an Iniesta style player. I wouldn't complain if we signed him, but I really don't think it's the role should be targeting the most.

thats your opinion and one i'd say is built on the idea of "if someone isn't world class they are shit"

re the centre mids. pardew has also mentioned playing cabaye in the hole. personally if it were to come off i'd guess at tiote and matuidi central with cabaye slightly advanced to the right,ben arfa central and mervaux left.

Ah right, I didn't know he'd mentioned Cabaye in the hole. That could work then, I don't know much of Matuidi's passing range but Tiote could easily play as a deeper passing type.

Regarding the centre backs, that's not how my opinion is based at all. I genuinely don't think they are good defenders, Willo started off last season pretty well but was putrid towards the end. Saylor causes far more work for the rest of the defence due to his lack of any positional sense and poor reading of the game.

Ah right, I didn't know he'd mentioned Cabaye in the hole. That could work then, I don't know much of Matuidi's passing range but Tiote could easily play as a deeper passing type.

Regarding the centre backs, that's not how my opinion is based at all. I genuinely don't think they are good defenders, Willo started off last season pretty well but was putrid towards the end. Saylor causes far more work for the rest of the defence due to his lack of any positional sense and poor reading of the game.

and yet taylor played ok the season we came down, good when he played last season and was the pick of our defenders till he got injured in the championship. he's not world class by any means but the slagging off he gets i'm sure is mainly based on people disliking him personally and a crowd belief (like that of smith playing well at the start of the promtion season that bizzarly many people, even those that went to the match went along with)that once it believes something it can/will not change it's mind even in light of what it actually sees.