Blaise Matuidi

Skeletor

Ah right, I didn't know he'd mentioned Cabaye in the hole. That could work then, I don't know much of Matuidi's passing range but Tiote could easily play as a deeper passing type.

Regarding the centre backs, that's not how my opinion is based at all. I genuinely don't think they are good defenders, Willo started off last season pretty well but was putrid towards the end. Saylor causes far more work for the rest of the defence due to his lack of any positional sense and poor reading of the game.

and yet taylor played ok the season we came down, good when he played last season and was the pick of our defenders till he got injured in the championship. he's not world class by any means but the slagging off he gets i'm sure is mainly based on people disliking him personally and a crowd belief (like that of smith playing well at the start of the promtion season that bizzarly many people, even those that went to the match went along with)that once it believes something it can/will not change it's mind even in light of what it actually sees.

So do you believe a Taylor/ Williamson partnership would work?

M'Vila "would"" be significantly more expensive and more difficult to acquire.

i know....

With Nolan going, it'd be good if we could add a bit of height in the midfield, so M'Vila may be a very good buy.

It's exciting hearing all these players that can add some attacking flair, but we need some defensive strength at set pieces. Willo and Taylor are our only defenders who are decent in that area, and only one is likely to play. I worry a bit that we may be building a small side who are vulnerable to a sucker punch.

Guest sicko2ndbest

France football

After Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye and Sylvain Marveaux, Newcastle could welcome two new members of Ligue 1. The Magpies are indeed interested Blaise Matuidi. The English manager Alan Pardew has confirmed his "great interest" for the 24-year-Etienne but also for the PSG striker, Mevlut Erding, according to L'Equipe. Newcastle could offer nearly 10 million according to the Parisian Turkish striker arrived in Paris in 2009. Cabaye has already joined the British club for 5 million euros, while Marveaux was out of contract at Rennes. (Photo News-Sports)

We need to retain Barton at all cost, that "never say die" attitude could go missing in our midfield if we don't have him around, he does have a slick pass on him aswell. if we were to play 433 next season he would 100% be in the midfield three.

Needs to shut his trap and erase the "twit" account he has...

Ronaldo....Colo started the promotion season quietly it took him until we were comfortably top to get going and no, in reply to someone else, I don't think a Taylor/williamson combo would work. More to do with styles than not being good enough.

I feel like a 5 foot 9 athlete like Matuidi would be more useful in the air than a 6 foot lump of immobility.

... but might not fare too well against a 6 foot athlete.

Normally a team relies a lot on its centre backs with defending crosses and set pieces, and that isn't Colo's strong point, to say the least. Other players had to shoulder the responsibility last year.

Just looking at the team we're building, it seems to me nimble and skilful but not particularly strong in the air. I think we're looking for a third midfield player to go alongside Tiote and Cabaye, and we could do with a bit of balance.

Our midfield has been over run on too many occasions recently, getting 3 athletic lads in who are comfortable on the ball and having good pace is quite exciting.

Especially if we are planning on a quick attacking trio ahead of them who will be allowed a lot of freedom.

I feel like a 5 foot 9 athlete like Matuidi would be more useful in the air than a 6 foot lump of immobility.

Normally a team relies a lot on its centre backs with defending crosses and set pieces, and that isn't Colo's strong point, to say the least. Other players had to shoulder the responsibility last year.

Just looking at the team we're building, it seems to me nimble and skilful but not particularly strong in the air. I think we're looking for a third midfield player to go alongside Tiote and Cabaye, and we could do with a bit of balance.

It is a concern that we are losing some height through the team, although Marveaux looks quite tall, and Barnetta if he arrives looks similar. Whether they are any good in the air is another matter.

Guest WashyGeordie

It is a concern that we are losing some height through the team, although Marveaux looks quite tall, and Barnetta if he arrives looks similar. Whether they are any good in the air is another matter.

Marveaux's the smallest according to wiki at 5ft 7 1/2. Cabaye is 5ft 9 and Barnetta 5ft 10.

Well if they aren't good in the air they are going to be struggling, both aren't no taller than 6ft!

OK, I know very little about him but isn't he a defensive midfielder? Why are we after him?

We've got Tiote, and I accept we need cover for him due to inevitable suspensions and ACON duties but aren't we talking about £10m+ here? That's a mighty fee for a position that we've already got a tremendous player playing in.

Or do people think we're going to play 2 DMCs? I can't really see that myself. It might be a tactic in some games but not enough to make it practical having 2 top-class DMCs on the books.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

OK, I know very little about him but isn't he a defensive midfielder? Why are we after him?

We've got Tiote, and I accept we need cover for him due to inevitable suspensions and ACON duties but aren't we talking about £10m+ here? That's a mighty fee for a position that we've already got a tremendous player playing in.

Or do people think we're going to play 2 DMCs? I can't really see that myself. It might be a tactic in some games but not enough to make it practical having 2 top-class DMCs on the books.

He'll play as part of the midfield three with Tiote and Cabaye. And he's not really a dm.

Guest MrSundlofer

He'll play as part of the midfield three with Tiote and Cabaye. And he's not really a dm.

Michael, you just said he is not a defensive midfielder. Can you please say why he's not a defensive midfielder? Or say what kind of midfielder he is? Have you seen him play? Have you analyzed him?

He is a defensive midfielder and has been very important in that position at St. Etienne.

Guest MrSundlofer

According to my mate he can get forward a bit too.

And...?

You didn't answer my question.