London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Am I the only one who would prefer we had British football team rather than the individual countries?

Probably. I can understand calls for a British Football team for the Olympics but for actual football events (the Euros and the World Cup), individual countries are definitely the way to go.

Out identities are too strong to be represented by the same football team.

Slightly different for Geordies maybe as we don't identify with the rest of England as much in general.

The way I see it is that the Euros and World Cups (qualifiers or the competition proper) have all traditionally been contested by England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Wales and it should stay that way. The amount of footballing history from each country is far too great for it to be integrated into one single entity in the FIFA world.

Now, the Olympics has traditionally been contested by participants from Great Britain and because of that, it's understandable that some were asking for a GB Football Team (what with the Olympics actually being in London this time round). So I'm fine with a GB football team for this occasion. Might be a bit iffy about it in the future. But one thing I can see happening though is that if Team GB fails miserably, then I think it'll be the last time we'll see a GB football team for a while.

(Btw, think I may have just contradicted myself in this post, haha).

Guest neesy111

Did Anfield get any Olympic games? Just with the talk of our game being played elsewhere, their season will start even earlier, unless they win the FA Cup.

Nope, not a big enough club to host them. ;)

Uh ohs:

Lee Ryder ‏ @lee_ryder

Senegal Olympic coach Alou Cisse: "We need top scorers like Papiss Cisse. If you leave players like that at home, it is a big mistake" #nufc

Alou Cisse added on Ba and Cisse "If we call them, they will come. "It is a privilege to participate in the Olympic Games."#nufc

Surley the club should be able to say "f*** off" if we have a Europe Qualifier.

Nah, Olympics are FIFA sanctioned so club can't do s***, apart from a "mysterious" injury suddenly popping up.  So it basically comes down to the players.

When do the teams get anounced or the players get contacted, because if its after the season has finished and its confirmed that we have qualfiers on particular date, the players woulod say no. It would be wrong of them to ask before the end of the season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Uh ohs:

Lee Ryder ‏ @lee_ryder

Senegal Olympic coach Alou Cisse: "We need top scorers like Papiss Cisse. If you leave players like that at home, it is a big mistake" #nufc

Alou Cisse added on Ba and Cisse "If we call them, they will come. "It is a privilege to participate in the Olympic Games."#nufc

And then they're gone for ACON again.  :yao:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Someone at work was saying that people who play at the Olympics can't be selected for the Euros too. Think we'll see a funky GB team if that is the case.

They have said that you need to arrive 2 hours before games because of all the security procedures that will be in place.

Sounds about right. It'll be horrible.

Uh ohs:

Lee Ryder ‏ @lee_ryder

And then they're gone for ACON again.  :yao:

Bit unfair on the Senegal players who did all the work for them to qualify too. If Papiss and Demba want to be to do it, then fine. Come back like Senegalese Kurt Angles.

Am I the only one who would prefer we had British football team rather than the individual countries?

Probably. I can understand calls for a British Football team for the Olympics but for actual football events (the Euros and the World Cup), individual countries are definitely the way to go.

Out identities are too strong to be represented by the same football team.

Slightly different for Geordies maybe as we don't identify with the rest of England as much in general.

You can say this for so many countries, many where the divisions are vastly more important relative to the country. The UK really should not be different just because of the historical implications on the sport.

Senegal can only call three overage players, it would be a bit bold to call two from the same club. Senegal has plenty of talent to choose from in the European leagues.

whats irritating is the senegal camp will be in england somehwere, and nufc will play approx (Third qualifying round : 26-28 July 2011 )

However under the rules ba/cisse wount be able to join up with nufc for even a match??  Unless we can beg uefa/fifa for special dispensation......which i reckon they will deny.

Guest Roger Kint

whats irritating is the senegal camp will be in england somehwere, and nufc will play approx (Third qualifying round : 26-28 July 2011 )

However under the rules ba/cisse wount be able to join up with nufc for even a match??  Unless we can beg uefa/fifa for special dispensation......which i reckon they will deny.

They havent even been called up yet, bit early to wonder about that

no it bloody isnt.....

`Senegal Olympic coach Alou Cisse: "We need top scorers like Papiss Cisse. If you leave players like that at home, it is a big mistake" #nufc `

its livingin cuckoo land, thinking they wont get the call.  Club needs to think ahead on this one.