London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Slightly disappointed for Beckham, but more disappointed that this once in a lifetime event has somehow been entrusted to Stuart Pearce.

He's not boss of the Olympics like.

Referring more to the fact that this is probably the one and only time anyone is likely to see a Team GB XI football team and they've picked him to manage it.

Guest palnese

Sorry for Beckham? No chance, it's a proper tournament not an exhibition. The players chosen are far more worthy of their place based on fitness and ability, not who they are,

Yet are Giggs and Bellamy  in.

Sorry for Beckham? No chance, it's a proper tournament not an exhibition. The players chosen are far more worthy of their place based on fitness and ability, not who they are,

Hard to argue Giggs, Bellamy, Richards are in better fitness than in-form and mid-season Beckham.

Would have taken Beckham.

Saying that, that's probably just because I think he 'deserves it'. From a footballing point of view, probably not. But, do Giggs and Bellamy do? Not too sure here.

Hard to argue Giggs, Bellamy, Richards are in better fitness than in-form and mid-season Beckham.

Bar Bellamy's knees maybe I'd say they are far more agile and fitter than Beckham, even when he is pre season.

Either way what I'm trying to say is I'm glad Pearce has made the decision based on the football and not because of who he is.

Bar Bellamy's knees maybe I'd say they are far more agile and fitter than Beckham, even when he is pre season.

Either way what I'm trying to say is I'm glad Pearce has made the decision based on the football and not because of who he is.

But was it really about football? Think he picked 2 Welshmen over potentially better English candidates (Beckham aside).

The Olympics are supposed to epitomise sportsmanship and respect. Does Bellamy tick the boxes here? Nope.

And Giggs has spent his whole career trying to avoid International football so why does he deserve selection? I don't believe he does.

I'm not a Beckham fan per se, but as has been pointed out, he will be at mid-season fitness and he ticks all of the courtesy boxes, in  my opinion. And his work in helping to get the Olympics to this country shouldn't be ignored here.

If Pearce is saying that he needed a defender from his over-age players, then the wrong one has been omitted for this.

Incredible that Beckham was not one of the three over-23 players considering who actually got chosen. Nonsense selections tbh.

That said, I wouldn't say it would've been a sporting decision to bring Beckham. But considering the chosen ones, it'd be a better sporting one as well. Deffo better choices out there, though.

An utter disgrace. He's picked 3 people who have spent the last year acting like cunts over the ultimate professional, and who is one of the faces of the entire games.

And when people say things like 'The right decision for footballing reasons', you wait to see who are some of the U23 midfielders selected, I bet a 40 year old Beckham will still be better than most of them.

I think this whole enterprise will be a disaster. I don't think GB will make it out of the group. It is a very strange collection of teams at this tournament. I cannot decide if it will be interesting or tedious to see the likes of UAE, Gabon, and Belarus on a major stage.

An utter disgrace. He's picked 3 people who have spent the last year acting like cunts over the ultimate professional, and who is one of the faces of the entire games.

And when people say things like 'The right decision for footballing reasons', you wait to see who are some of the U23 midfielders selected, I bet a 40 year old Beckham will still be better than most of them.

Think it was clear that Beckham was really into it as well.