Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Guest Howaythetoon

Speaking of Toon defenders, I thought Venison was a very good defender for us overall and so too was Peacock despite his critics. Howey was the one though who could have become something special if not for his injuries.

I don't agree about Howey, Bobby getting £3 million from Man City for him was robbery.

At the time aye because of all his injuries but for a very short period under KK he looked a very good footballing centre-back with lots of potential.

Guest bimpy474

Think i first saw Steve Howey come on as a striker (what he started out as) at Southend on New Years day 1992. I was in the Southend end with all my friends (me being from Southend upon fuckhole).

We got bummed 4-0, i remember Kevin Scott taking all the goal kicks as Tommy Wright couldn't kick. A real young team out that day, Ossie and his mental diamond formation. We actually played all the football but couldn't defend in any way shape or form.

The stick i took that evening........last laugh is all mine now.

Disco will love this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2223716/Play-like-Bobby-Moore--Id-Daniel-Passarella-says-Newcastle-stopper-Fabricio-Coloccini.html

Play like Moore... I'd rather be Passarella, says Newcastle defender Coloccini

By Colin Young

PUBLISHED: 23:02, 26 October 2012 | UPDATED: 23:03, 26 October 2012

Comments (0)

Fabricio Coloccini has thanked Alan Pardew for his Bobby Moore tribute – but wishes it had been Daniel Passarella.

Newcastle boss Pardew hailed his captain after his heroics in last Sunday's Wear Tyne derby draw.

The Argentina international was forced off with cramp in the latter stages at the Stadium of Light last week but before his withdrawal, he led from the rear as ten-men Newcastle defended their early lead.

Pardew compared Coloccini's heroics to former West Ham and England captain Moore and the tribute was not lost on the central defender who is back to lead Newcastle out against West Bromwich Albion.

Coloccini said: 'I'm very proud that the manager compared me to Bobby Moore. Bobby Moore is an important man in England so for me it is very good to hear the manager say that.

'I have to say thank you to the manager for that compliment. He was one of the best players ever to play for the national team in England. But of course, it would have been nice for him to say Daniel Passarella!

'Of course I knew all about Bobby Moore. He is very famous in Argentina, he is famous all over the world because he is one of the best footballers of all time. For anyone to say I am like him makes me very proud.

'I didn't have just one hero when I was young. My biggest hero was my father Osvaldo, because he played for 16 years in the first division in Argentina. In my career, my aim has always been to get to the level that he was at.

'It is maybe easy for a player to get to the first division, but it is not so easy to stay there for many years like he did. I can say I'm better when I have played 16 years in the top division like he did.'

Wasn't there an article saying that Coloccini's father made pretty much no money despite him being a pro for ages? Madness.

Just been reading about Pasarella, 162 goals in his career from centre back, ridiculous.

Coloccini always speaks so well mind, can imagine he proper loves his football. I think he'll finish career here too n all unless he goes to pieces, doesn't really have that link back with the Argie league that a lot of the European based players have, I think Jonas will go back to Velez eventually.

Guest pintofscottsellers

Just been reading about Pasarella, 162 goals in his career from centre back, ridiculous.

WTF!