Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I'm guessing here, but I think it's pretty damning that the majority would rather keep a player than the manager, regardless of their viewpoints on no one being bigger than the club/the manager calling the shots etc.

I know nothing is concrete yet, but I feel like I've absolutely had it. It's not right that we give so much and get nothing but disrespect and misery in return.

Isn't all sports like this?

Boo hoo. If we're paying him 70k plus a week he can live here homesick, with no sky tv and a 1 all over if we feel like it.

He's not going to be homesick, he's been away from home for years and has just signed a new contract, it has nothing to do with home sickness, if true.

"There was a reason for going on the pitch at the end of the game to see Colo," Pardew said, after Shola Ameobi's first Premier League goal for nine months allowed Newcastle to deliver on their rather ill-advised comment that this was a must-win game. "Colo was a bit upset. It was a very little thing – if it was more serious I would say so. It was important I went on to embrace him in that way."

"I said to Colo before the game, we're both winners, we're allowed to fall out," added Pardew, after his animated post-match clinch with the South American. "We fell out this week and we're entitled to do that, as the captain and the manager. It was just a silly little thing and I know he was determined to get the result today.

"Before the game, I said to him: 'Be our leader, be a captain and make sure they don't get a sniff of a goal'. When you ask someone to do a job and they do it, it's only right you pay your respects to them. You fall out with players all the time as a manager, because if not you're not doing your job. Sometimes I have to say what I think is right – even your most senior players can disagree with it. I have no problem with that.

"He was never off my Christmas card list because it wasn't me who had the problem. In any walk of life you have to be a man sometimes and admit when you're wrong and also pay your respects when someone does something right and I thought Colo was absolutely brilliant."

A serious falling out between player and manager?

If he goes Cabaye will be captain, maybe there is a power struggle between the two, colo doesn't seem the most vocal of leaders, Cabaye has a lot of French buddies to back him up.

In all honesty think Cabaye being club captain will be better for us long term, but we lose a great defender in the process.

There was rumblings of this a few weeks back about a player needing to leave for personal reasons. Not necessarily Pardew or the clubs fault, although I will forgive most people for jumping on that band wagon.

It will all come out in the wash tomorrow, one way or another. I have a hunch its partially nonsense. Aside from the fact that he looks happy as larry in training pictures, he has been a consummate pro on the pitch, especially if this is at all true. With that in mind, why would they release this info the day before a very important game?

I'd expect there is some truth on him wanting to return home to see out the tail end of his career but the whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion.

Guest firetotheworks

fwiw, I was disgusted when Given left, but once bitten, twice shy. He should stay, but there's still something obviously fucked up at the top of our club. He'll be the first of many if he leaves, and there'll be no Nolan and Smith dressing room showdown to sort things out when it happens.

You also have to wonder why his home club was being so persistent, they were clearly privy to the fact he wanted out it seems.

This is so unreal. I mean it's so bad he can't wait till the summer? My God.

There was rumblings of this a few weeks back about a player needing to leave for personal reasons. Not necessarily Pardew or the clubs fault, although I will forgive most people for jumping on that band wagon.

It will all come out in the wash tomorrow, one way or another. I have a hunch its partially nonsense. Aside from the fact that he looks happy as larry in training pictures, he has been a consummate pro on the pitch, especially if this is at all true. With that in mind, why would they release this info the day before a very important game?

I'd expect there is some truth on him wanting to return home to see out the tail end of his career but the whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion.

Really hope you're right mate.

Got to wonder what effect this would have on the rest of the squad btw. What message it sends out, that the club captain might want to leave. Could quite easily be catastrophic.

TEAM France celebrates with some onion soup at the training ground while hoying hot camemberts at Jonas?

...but we lose a great defender in the process.

We'd lose the best defender Newcastle has ever had. We shouldn't really have to rely on one player to pull us out of the shit but.........for fuck sake man colo, nice timing. Even have his name on my shirt *looks up to the sky*

If that was the case, why now? Why right now? There's more to it.

Sorry but if, and I guess it's still quite a big if at the moment, this guy bails on us right now I will lose the majority of respect I held for him.

We stuck by him after a poor first season he should repay us by sticking by us now

Nah. He's done more than his bit. He played through the Championship. He gave us his all, and has been rewarded with Williamson for the better part of 18 months. His career is finite.

As usual, the real problem is above him. All our stars will leave this way. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of our generation, they will continue to leave this way with the Mike/Pardy regime in power.

You also have to wonder why his home club was being so persistent, they were clearly privy to the fact he wanted out it seems.

This is so unreal. I mean it's so bad he can't wait till the summer? My God.

Some serious tapping up.

We stuck by him after a poor first season he should repay us by sticking by us now

Well he's stuck with us until now, if this story is true then something must be seriously wrong somewhere.