Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Fucking hell, this is disturbing news to wake up to!

If it's true then there has to be something serious in the personal reasons - can believe for a second Colo would ditch us in the position we're in over a falling out with the manager or similar, he's far too much of a professional for that.

I have to admit it did seem strange we've been getting linked with quite a few left-sided centre backs....

Working with Williamson week in week out is enough to make anyone want to leave. He has made Colo look shit.

The ultimate in scapegoating.

It does look like there's a personal issue which is separate from the club. If all he wanted was to get away, you wouldn't have to go to Argentina.

It does look like it's affected his form and probably his captaincy as well, in which case we'd be better off biting the bullet and replacing him.

The article seems like sensationalism to me.  But we've not heard fuck all from Colo for months and his agent has only said San Lorenzo wouldn't be possible because of money.  Never once said he's happy at NUFC and wants to stay.

Perhaps those silly rumours flying around, about him taking his song too literally are true?

What a nightmare this season has been!

Working with Williamson week in week out is enough to make anyone want to leave. He has made Colo look s***.

The ultimate in scapegoating.

It does look like there's a personal issue which is separate from the club. If all he wanted was to get away, you wouldn't have to go to Argentina.

It does look like it's affected his form and probably his captaincy as well, in which case we'd be better off biting the bullet and replacing him.

That's my thoughts too. If it was just his unhappiness with Newcastle I'm sure there's plenty of takers in Europe. If it is true he wants to go home, that suggests personal reasons to me.

Well if it is going to happen, let's hope he puts in some performances in the next few games as picking up a decent number of points in the next 3 games will ease a little of the pressure and give the team the morale boost it needs.

Guest palnese

Feeling way too calm about this.

Don't want him to leave, but whatever will be will be. My love for footballers died with Andy Carroll.

Hudson: Well that’s great, that’s just fuckin’ great man, now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We’re in some real pretty shit now man… That’s it man, game over man, game over, man! Game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

I can only assume people haven't read the article. Nothing new? Er, apart from the 'exclusive' bit where they claim Colo told Pardew he wants to leave yesterday, which is the whole reason we're talking about it.

It's either true or it's not, saying it's just a rehash of earlier stories is a bit odd.

Awful lack of leadership in our ranks if he goes. I can cope with loss of form, loss of our most in-form player, injuries to key players, etc. But none of them even have a tenth of the worry I feel just reading these rumors. Just criminal (but ultimately inevitable) if our issues were culminated by a blow to the heart of the team. Please be s***, and if not, at least lead us to safety, Colo. Will be sad to any sinking ship's passengers to see its captain be among the first to jump off.  :(

I can only assume people haven't read the article. Nothing new? Er, apart from the 'exclusive' bit where they claim Colo told Pardew he wants to leave yesterday, which is the whole reason we're talking about it.

It's either true or it's not, saying it's just a rehash of earlier stories is a bit odd.

Aren't they basing that off that Argie article where they said Lombilla had met Pardew? There's also quotes from the San Lorenzo president that it's going to be difficult and that some player called Cetto is their plan B.

There might be something in it obviously but looks to me they've just taken their spin on Colo's agent meeting Pardew the other day.

Paper: Colo asks to leave, no quotes from the player or the club. It must be true. Forum meltdown.

Paper: Newcastle are interested in signing such and such player, no quotes. Dismissed. Pun game.

Paper: Colo asks to leave, no quotes from the player or the club. It must be true. Forum meltdown.

Paper: Newcastle are interested in signing such and such player, no quotes. Dismissed. Pun game.

I would agree if it was The Sun or The Star, but the Independent is a pretty decent rag, much more likely to actually do some fact checking before running a back page headline.

Huge difference here is the constant rumours from Argentina suggesting this was going to happen and a journalist Coloccini has a good relationship with in the UK press reporting it at a time when he's stopped giving interviews to any newspapers.