Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

We couldn't get anyone to pay for him when he had one year left, who the f*** is going to pay for him now? :lol:

Maybe we've found a few additional birth certificates for him and we're going to pass him off as being in his 20's.

He's 33 FFS.

John Terry is 34 and showing no signs of slowing down! If anything he was probably better than ever last season.

NOT saying Colo is in his league at all, the similarities stop there.  However, you never know under McClaren, he might play a lot better this season.  Personally can see him doing very well alongside Mbemba.  As long as Williamson is 5th choice behind Dummett and Taylor (in that order) I don't really care.

Given their prudent financial stance, I am sure the deal is more aligned to pay and playn anyway so no issues from my perspective if this is the case.

We'll have to see how Lascelles comes along. Not that bad a situation tbh.

It's the Steven Taylor contract extension that is going to have people fuming on here.  :lol:

It's the Mike Williamson contract extension you need to look out for tbh.

He's the best defender we've had in the last decade and people want him out ;D ;D

He's not as good as he was and he's picking up injures that are probably only going to become worse.

Good point Dan. The guy definitely doesn't look like his athleticism is the thing letting him down, and he's never injured.

Think Mbemba will help him massively, and it could work out really well. Let's see.

Wait, what?! New contract?! Why?  :lol:

Well, we are finally going to put an aggressive and athletic centre back beside him, so let's see. Should make his like a lot easier, and hopefully get his performances back up.

God help us.

:lol: He's still our best CB, though.

So next summer...

Mbemba

Coloccini

Lascelles.

We're still only going to be buying 1 CB next summer instead of 2-3. :(

Which would be fine if it was gonna be a fucking good one. We'll probably end up with Mariappa finally or some useless squad filler of his ilk.

Awful decision. He's been a terrible captain over the past season or so, openly attempted to leave on a number of occasions and his form on the pitch has been dreadful.

We really needed a fresh set of cb's and a new leader on the pitch.

Colo's decline hasn't been physical IMO, his mental state was shot and then the team declined and he started trying to do everyone else's job for them. Granted he has been crap recently, but I don't think it's impossible for him to make a bit of a comeback in the short term.

He's 33 FFS.

John Terry is 34 and showing no signs of slowing down! If anything he was probably better than ever last season.

NOT saying Colo is in his league at all, the similarities stop there.  However, you never know under McClaren, he might play a lot better this season.  Personally can see him doing very well alongside Mbemba.  As long as Williamson is 5th choice behind Dummett and Taylor (in that order) I don't really care.

Given their prudent financial stance, I am sure the deal is more aligned to pay and playn anyway so no issues from my perspective if this is the case.

Tbf the one thing in Coloccinis favour as he gets older is that he never had any pace to lose in the first place.

Not prepared to completely write him off until he's played next to a proper partner for a while. If he can stay fit and regain something of his previous form then he will at worse be a very good back-up option. I'd be surprised if his new deal is worth as much as his current one and if that's true and we get a full year out of him this year and then sign someone else as first choice for next season, he will be a good back-up option on a back-up salary.

Have to agree, timing is weird though - could have done this in Jan if he was having a blinder.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes - he must come across very well around the training ground, be well liked by the players etc as his "captain" qualities rarely shine through on the pitch.

He's the best defender we've had in the last decade and people want him out ;D ;D

He's not as good as he was and he's picking up injures that are probably only going to become worse.

:thup: Now was the time to let go and replace tbh. I've backed him up on here because he is still the best centre half on our books (I've never seen Mbemba play) but now was the perfect time to have a fresh start.

As predictable as ever though because the board will now think we're covered in that area when it's clear to the rest of the footballing world that we're woefully short.

Colo's decline hasn't been physical IMO, his mental state was shot and then the team declined and he started trying to do everyone else's job for them. Granted he has been crap recently, but I don't think it's impossible for him to make a bit of a comeback in the short term.

Yeah, I think I agree.

Think the guy was just fed up of how awful everything was at the club.

We gave the guy no help. His partner was rubbish. The midfielders in front of him were rubbish.

Guy had no protection whatsoever.

I've more faith in him regaining some form under the new coaches than I have in Taylor or Williamson suddenly developing talent. I don't think he's a particularly good captain, from what we can see, but the importance of captains is overrated by fans anyway.

I've more faith in him regaining some form under the new coaches than I have in Taylor or Williamson suddenly developing talent. I don't think he's a particularly good captain, from what we can see, but the importance of captains is overrated by fans anyway.

Well the captain thing isn't as vital for us as maybe it has been previously, as we have added players with some balls for once.

De Jong coming back into the fold, Wijnaldum and even young Mitro, all seem to be no nonsense types that won't just wilt.