Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I don't want to bash TCD, because I think people go in on the brother too hard on here, but his comments today have confused me greatly.

Come on TCD man, step your game up bro.  :)

I don't want to bash TCD, because I think people go in on the brother too hard on here, but his comments today have confused me greatly.

We do it because he acts like a know it all constantly, it's not that he's a complete moron or anything more that he thinks he's above everyone else.

It's not exactly the most glowing trait.

Personally I think his comments today have shown, yet again, how erudite he is.

He exists just to create counter positions to every opinion and then spend his time defending it, its fucking pointless. This is a case in point; we say that increased possession and a better passing game might help relieve the defence. What's to disagree with, why would you?

He can't have that though so Martinez is wheeled out of nowhere as if it means anything to Steve McLarens NUFC and we're told in no uncertain terms that organisation is the key, not possession, possession shouldn't be the ultimate aim, because he said so, and no one said it was anyway.

Fuck that.

For me he's still our best CB (given Mbemba is unproven in the Premier League) and it was only his heart and desire I was questioning over last year. Yeah he makes some mental decisions sometimes, but he has certainly shown himself to have the quality in the past. Knowing Ashley this extension maybe even lowered his wage.

Hope him and Mbemba can form a solid partnership. Certainly prefer him as first choice to Willo or Taylor.

Agree with others, until Mbemba proves himself then Coloccini is by far and away our best centre half, which tells its own story these days. I'd have kept him at the club anyway.

More disappointing is that it clearly signals we're not buying anyone else.

This is basically what I've been saying as well, it's not that I particularly think he's fantastic or I want to keep him, but until we buy someone better then I'd rather he was still here. I've no doubt he'll still do well next season, although we really should have been looking to replace him rather than extending his contract.

I don't think my opinion is any different to anyone else's with half a brain.

Aye mate, you're the only one with more than half a brain, McClaren and everyone else is clueless.

Maybe his poor form over the last 12-18 months is also somewhat down to having had his fill of the anti football approach of Pardew and Carver. Perhaps with a new competent coaching setup, a commitment to playing football on the ground and a young hungry CB beside him we could see a rejuvenated Colo who can get back to at least something like his best?

Here's hoping.

Think everyone knew we weren't going to sign 2 centre backs. It takes us 12-18 months minimum to sign one. This is the next best thing even if he's haggard and a bit shit now. Hopefully we can send Williamson to the glue factory now.

Maybe his poor form over the last 12-18 months is also somewhat down to having had his fill of the anti football approach of Pardew and Carver. Perhaps with a new competent coaching setup, a commitment to playing football on the ground and a young hungry CB beside him we could see a rejuvenated Colo who can get back to at least something like his best?

Here's hoping.

Been crap for 2 and a half years at least.

Aye mate, you're the only one with more than half a brain, McClaren and everyone else is clueless.

Well, I stand by my opinion. It's based on 3 years of poor performances. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not, but we'll see. :thup:

Well, I stand by my opinion. It's based on 3 years of poor performances. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not, but we'll see. :thup:

"I hope I'm wrong. I'm not" Classic Ron.

:lol:

Here's hoping.

Been crap for 2 and a half years at least.

He's had the odd bad game where he's got done badly, but no he hasn't been crap in general. This type of hyperbole doesn't serve anyone. What we really need is a big stopper who can play alongside your Colo, Mbebmba or Mbiwa when he was here. The only one we have got who comes close to that description is Williamson who actually is crap, yet you were defending him just this week.

With Mbemba, Colo, Lascelles, Dummett, and Taylor all available; I don't think we actually need another CB unless we're buying one with serious quality. The depth is there.

Can't see us spending 10m+ on another defender, so this is not at all unexpected.