Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Colo's decline hasn't been physical IMO, his mental state was shot and then the team declined and he started trying to do everyone else's job for them. Granted he has been crap recently, but I don't think it's impossible for him to make a bit of a comeback in the short term.

Yeah, I think I agree.

Think the guy was just fed up of how awful everything was at the club.

We gave the guy no help. His partner was rubbish. The midfielders in front of him were rubbish.

Guy had no protection whatsoever.

He still won't :lol:

Couldn't give a toss about him.

Pathetic attempt to appease fans and most morons will think we'll be fine now because we have Coloccini signed up for another season, hes been on the wane for the last 2 seasons and was trying his hardest to leave the club at one point, captain material indeed.

New deal with our current state of CB's I'm happy with because at least now we know we're definitely not getting another CB this year. Allowing him to retain the captaincy is a bad decision as far as I'm concerned - I think he'd be able to reproduce some of his better form if he didn't have the added weight of expectation on his shoulders.

The whole "captain material" is f***ing bollocks anyway. In football, the captains biggest influence on the game is to decide which way the team will shoot first.

Completely agree, although that's not why i'm pissed by this. It's because he isn't any good now :lol:

The whole "captain material" is f***ing bollocks anyway. In football, the captains biggest influence on the game is to decide which way the team will shoot first.

Outrageous comment.

Actually, you're right. The biggest role is to be a mediator between players and manager to iron out any issues and raise concerns. He's probably decent at that considering he licks every manager and coaches arse.

Agree with others, until Mbemba proves himself then Coloccini is by far and away our best centre half, which tells its own story these days. I'd have kept him at the club anyway.

More disappointing is that it clearly signals we're not buying anyone else.

Don't like this decision, as it clearly means he's going to be playing more often than not. I'm willing to give this a fresh look with my fingers crossed that he and Mbemba form a strong CB partnership (not sure how that will work).

Whatever happens, Williamson needs to go and he needs to be last in the order of CBs.

Don't like this decision, as it clearly means he's going to be playing more often than not. I'm willing to give this a fresh look with my fingers crossed that he and Mbemba form a strong CB partnership (not sure how that will work).

Whatever happens, Williamson needs to go and he needs to be last in the order of CBs.

I would have thought (southampton game the exception) that willo will be behind Mbemba colo dummet taylor in that order...

McClaren likes to play total football from the back and there are not many better footballing centre halves in the country than Colo - yes he’s been poor for a while but you have to factor in that he’s been paired with Mike fucking Williamson for most of the time not to mention the shower of shit in midfield supposedly protecting our defence! Feel free to abuse me this season but I’m convinced he’ll have a good season alongside Mbemba!

I would have thought (southampton game the exception) that willo will be behind Mbemba colo dummet taylor in that order...

He will be, but most of those players are not fit for one reason or another.

McClaren likes to play total football from the back and there are not many better footballing centre halves in the country than Colo - yes he’s been poor for a while but you have to factor in that he’s been paired with Mike fucking Williamson for most of the time not to mention the shower of shit in midfield supposedly protecting our defence! Feel free to abuse me this season but I’m convinced he’ll have a good season alongside Mbemba!

It's definitely possible. A lot depends on how the midfield gels, and obviously if Mbemba adapts.

McClaren likes to play total football from the back and there are not many better footballing centre halves in the country than Colo - yes he’s been poor for a while but you have to factor in that he’s been paired with Mike f***ing Williamson for most of the time not to mention the shower of s*** in midfield supposedly protecting our defence! Feel free to abuse me this season but I’m convinced he’ll have a good season alongside Mbemba!

You think it's changed to the extent to protect him? because i don't.

Poor decision imo. He's been poor and individually responsible for various goals we've conceded over the past two+ years due to his horrendous decision making. That has absolutely nothing to do with Williamson playing alongside him or the midfield btw. I agree that he is the best CB at the club right now without knowing what Mbemba will be like but that's merely an indictment of the other players we have rather than praise for him. Should've let him see out his last year then got rid.

I do agree his ability on the ball may be very important if we are going to try and play out from the back however.

McClaren likes to play total football from the back and there are not many better footballing centre halves in the country than Colo - yes he’s been poor for a while but you have to factor in that he’s been paired with Mike f***ing Williamson for most of the time not to mention the shower of s*** in midfield supposedly protecting our defence! Feel free to abuse me this season but I’m convinced he’ll have a good season alongside Mbemba!

McClaren. Total football. You crazy?

It's definitely possible. A lot depends on how the midfield gels, and obviously if Mbemba adapts.

A lot might also depend on how well we manage to implement an improved possession/passing game overall. If we're controlling games with the ball it'll relieve the pressure on the defence and allow them to organise better.

We've been so shit with the ball for years the defenders have always been under immense pressure in games, ran ragged basically.

A lot might also depend on how well we manage to implement an improved possession/passing game overall. If we're controlling games with the ball it'll relieve the pressure on the defence and allow them to organise better.

We've been so s*** with the ball for years the defenders have always been under immense pressure in games, ran ragged basically.

Very good point again.

Think we just have to see what impact our change in approach has on the team, and then start to make necessary changes from there.

If Colo blows it then I'm sure Pardew will still be salivating for him in January anyway.