Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Depth of shit..

Relative to what past versions of NUFC and other mid-lower table premier league teams have had to work with in defense, I would be content with a starting pair of Colo-Mbemba or Dummett-Mbemba backed up by Taylor with occasional appearances from Lascelles. Content is about as good as it gets with this team.

Colo's decline hasn't been physical IMO, his mental state was shot and then the team declined and he started trying to do everyone else's job for them. Granted he has been crap recently, but I don't think it's impossible for him to make a bit of a comeback in the short term.

Agree. I don't mind this too much. Colo's shortcomings now are more or less the same as always, he lacks pace and he's erratic in the air. He's a class defender though and with Mbemba next to him he might get back to something like his best.

As fans we want the team to progress quickly, but you can't change everything at once, Colo staying as part of the first team isn't a major problem.

That said, I'd rather he wasn't captain, but McClaren has been making noises about 11 captains, hopefully the news lads will listen to him and the likes of Krul, Anita, Tiote etc will follow suit.

It's gone from "four or five 15M players" to 2 more years minimum of Colo. I agree, on paper without having seen Mbemba he's our best CB but that isn't a reason to give him a new contract, it's a massive red flag telling you we need new CB's.

I hope for our sake Mbemba is mint, because if he isn't we're screwed. Colo is absolutely done and a new partner alone will not fix that.

With Mbemba, Colo, Lascelles, Dummett, and Taylor all available; I don't think we actually need another CB unless we're buying one with serious quality. The depth is there.

Can't see us spending 10m+ on another defender, so this is not at all unexpected.

My only issue is that of the defenders we've had the past few seasons, not one is really dominant in the air in the John Terry mould. I've not seen Mbemba or Lascelles yet, I can only hope they are going to provide that, because we already have plenty of cb's who will win 80% of the aerial tussles, but lose the crucial one which costs a goal.

With Mbemba, Colo, Lascelles, Dummett, and Taylor all available; I don't think we actually need another CB unless we're buying one with serious quality. The depth is there.

Can't see us spending 10m+ on another defender, so this is not at all unexpected.

My only issue is that of the defenders we've had the past few seasons, not one is really dominant in the air in the John Terry mould. I've not seen Mbemba or Lascelles yet, I can only hope they are going to provide that, because we already have plenty of cb's who will win 80% of the aerial tussles, but lose the crucial one which costs a goal.

They both look like big units, so we can hope.

Just got to hope he stops playing like a twat and Mbemba is ace I guess. I think McClaren wants some continuity/stability and sees this as an opportunity to do so, despite our abysmal defending in recent years :dontknow: Not sure what to make of it all to be honest, was not expecting this at all.

If we let him go and didnt replace him everyone would murder that decision...

The new contact tells me one thing, that he will partner Mbemba at CB. The fact that Taylor appears to be favoured by Steve tells me that he is third choice. In turn, this makes Williamson fourth (or maybe even further back) choice. Happy days.

We have a surpless of useless/average defenders, we wont buy any until they are moved on. Keeping Colo for one more year is hardly a negative.

Really didn't expect this.

Hoping he can rediscover his old form, playing in less of a hoofball team would help him so hopefully McClaren is committed to that.

Sadly I think that this time next year we'll be wishing we'd got rid and brought in a replacement while we had the chance.

McClaren is right like, that statement Pardew put out was transparent as f***.

No, no, no.  It was all an elaborate scam set up by Coloccini's agent and backed by Pardew and the whole of Crystal Palace's opperational staff in order for Coloccini to be able to negotiate a contract extension on his terms.  There was no interest from Palace, it was all a lie.  You big deluded Geordie.

Really didn't expect this.

Hoping he can rediscover his old form, playing in less of a hoofball team would help him so hopefully McClaren is committed to that.

Sadly I think that this time next year we'll be wishing we'd got rid and brought in a replacement while we had the chance.

In theory if we do play less direct it should help him, but that's all it is at the moment sadly a theory.

Possession isn't going to make a teams defensive organisation or individuals any better.

Our 2 biggest defeats last year. Was it Leicester & Soton? Wasn't the result of incessant pressure. Just woeful, woeful, defending from the team.

and how was our attacking play, ball retention, passing through midfield, getting behind their defence to worry them etc. in those games oh wise one? 

why are you making out like it's not all linked? :lol:

of i course i agree that we're littered with examples of rank bad defending and shit defenders who were badly organised, but why can't you just accept that an improved possession and passing game with real attacking intent might relieve the pressure on a defence through them not having to defend their box incessantly every fucking game?