Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Speculation then.

It would be fair to say that nobody here knows the details of any individual players pay or the offers on the table. I would suggest that a journalist (who doesn't even qualify his statement with 'reports suggest') may have a better knowledge. It may not be fact, but however cynical you are about the club drip feeding info, it's the closest you're going to get until there is something tangible to contradict it.

What worries me most is, if they can't reach an agreement. Wich isn't all that unlikely as they will make him most probably to take a paycut. Is the change of style we'll have to go through. We will never find such a centerback again.

Unlikely, the offer already on the table has a modest pay increase.

Would the club go on to increase a wage allready 40% over the wage cap? Might be estimated bonuses etc. that is, if he's on the reported 80/90k/week.

Good news is that as we continue to progress the number of clubs more attractive than ourselves financially or in status diminishes.

Regarding the much talked about wage cap - does anyone know if it really exists ?

I'm not sure it does, I think we have a salary budget to work within but no fixed individual wage cap.

What worries me most is, if they can't reach an agreement. Wich isn't all that unlikely as they will make him most probably to take a paycut. Is the change of style we'll have to go through. We will never find such a centerback again.

Unlikely, the offer already on the table has a modest pay increase.

Would the club go on to increase a wage allready 40% over the wage cap? Might be estimated bonuses etc. that is, if he's on the reported 80/90k/week.

A lot of players seem to have contracts that increase automatically, season on season.

It would could well be a possibility that the offered contract (as it is likely to be his last, and over time his role will diminish in the team), forgoes the automatic increase, and instead offers simply a higher initial salary that stays the same over the length of the contract.

That'd be my guess, but yeah if the reports are right, could be bonus' etc.

I think he'll run his contract down and head back to Argentina.

No chance tbh. Argentinean league is on its arse in terms of finance and wages.

You must have missed the part where he's set for life, especially in Argentina.

Just can't see him going back home at the peak of his career to earn a 10th of what he is now.

A tenth? You know this for a fact I suppose?

He'd easily pull in £30kpw in Argentina (we'd realistically want him on £50k) on a free as well. Argentina in no matter what state manage to fit in special players, like Riquelme, you saying he doesn't get more than £10kpw?

Guest Roger Kint

Just can't see him going back home at the peak of his career to earn a 10th of what he is now.

He'd easily pull in £30kpw in Argentina (we'd realistically want him on £50k) on a free as well. Argentina in no matter what state manage to fit in special players, like Riquelme, you saying he doesn't get more than £10kpw?

That the same Riquelme who waived his wages for a time just so he could go home? Assuming that story was right anyway.

He loves being our Captain and our league position has to help the situation, I think he would retire to Argie in about another 5 years time but right now he wants to stay and all they need to do as a club is meet his demands and I bet he is not asking for the world.

That the same Riquelme who waived his wages for a time just so he could go home? Assuming that story was right anyway.

Assuming its correct, though i guess he'd have had to waive a lot of his wages to get the move, just like Colo would, and just like Colo would if he wants to stay here.

Argies love going home. Will have a better shout at the NT as well.

Assuming its correct, though i guess he'd have had to waive a lot of his wages to get the move, just like Colo would, and just like Colo would if he wants to stay here.

Argies love going home. Will have a better shout at the NT as well.

His kids are very settled at school in Newcastle and he has said many times that they enjoy the life they have here.

Nope. Even the best players in Argentina are on absolutely naff all, Veron is on a lot less than that and he was the best player in South America recently.

Argie players are not clammering to get home, and the ones that do go home have either bombed in Europe or at the very end of their career and are willing to go home and play for very little.

Nevermind the money I just don't see where you get the idea he's gonna want to go back home so early in his career, he's getting better every season rather than getting worse. He's been in Europe since he was a kid so and all his family is settled over here so he can hardly be homesick. Has he mentioned going back home in the press or anything?

Nope. Even the best players in Argentina are on absolutely naff all, Veron is on a lot less than that and he was the best player in South America recently.

Argie players are not clammering to get home, and the ones that do go home have either bombed in Europe or at the very end of their career and are willing to go home and play for very little.

Nevermind the money I just don't see where you get the idea he's gonna want to go back home so early in his career, he's getting better every season rather than getting worse. He's been in Europe since he was a kid so and all his family is settled over here so he can hardly be homesick. Has he mentioned going back home in the press or anything?

Not in the press no.

Whey I just cannit see it. Brazil are bringing them home because the economy and currency is in such a strong position that they can pay fortunes, Argentina is at the other end of the spectrum. The league is completely fucked and I can't see Colo quitting the Prem at the top of his game to go back there and play for a relative pittance.

:lol: missed this, absolutely 0% chance in hell he's going back to the Primera at the end of next season. The two that could (at a massive push and huge wage reduction) don't need him, in relative terms, plus why would he end his career so early giving that fuck Argentina off as soon as he could.

The disparity between Brazilian clubs and the rest of South American clubs at the moment is huge which makes their relatives failings (Santos aside) in the Copa Lib/SudAmer... even more amusing.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's really, really slow. Pretty much his only weakness.

Teams that look to take advantage of that have been successful on occasion.

Cannot play a high line

His undoings this year Johnson and Long have really highlighted this

Do we really want to offer a lucrative 5 year contract to a player who is only going to get slower (tin hat)