Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Good appointment - but I don't look forward to losing another club captain next year over contractual issues.

Enjoy your year Colo!

I would imagine besides this being the obvious option on the pitch, the club are hoping it can be used as leverage one way or another next summer.

Fantastic appointment. The complete professional, could have sulked when it wasn't going his way in the Relegation season but he just got on with it and probably has became our key player and one of the best centre backs we have had in recent years. Get his contract sorted and its happy days!

Guest Deej89

First post. I think its Colo is a great choice for captain! Classy player and leads from the back. Pardew getting things right :)

Good appointment - but I don't look forward to losing another club captain next year over contractual issues.

Enjoy your year Colo!

I would imagine besides this being the obvious option on the pitch, the club are hoping it can be used as leverage one way or another next summer.

He'll be off next summer I reckon. I can't see NUFC investing in him for another few years, even if he would take a pay cut, at 30 years old.

He's the type of centre half who could do a job into his thirties imo but he'll have very limited resale value after that, hence my view that he'll be off.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/07/08/fabricio-coloccini-is-newcastle-united-captain-72703-29017752/

FABRICIO COLOCCINI has been handed the captain’s armband by Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew.

The Argentine was told by the Toon gaffer after training yesterday that he had pipped the rest of the contenders to the role as skipper – with names such as Steve Harper, Joey Barton and Steven Taylor also in the frame.

The Chronicle reported on June 24 that Coloccini was a leading contender to lead the Magpies into the new season, and the decision by Pardew would also appear to steamroller any rumours of the South American leaving Tyneside this summer, despite talk of a move to La Liga out fit Seville.

Coloccini has skippered the black-and-whites before and proved to be United’s saviour while donning the armband last term, after netting a vital equaliser against Wigan in the dying stages.

The Argentina international will replace the departed Kevin Nolan in the role of captain.

Coloccini today spoke of his pride at the appointment, and told the Chronicle: “To receive an honour like this is like getting a gift.

“I am very proud to be wearing the armband for Newcastle United, and I am looking forward to leading the team into the new season ahead.”

And the decision was backed today by influential former captains Bob Moncur and Glenn Roeder, who both feel that Coloccini is more than capable of the task.

Moncur – who correctly predicted that Coloccini would get the nod last month – told the Chronicle: “I think it’s fantastic news for the fans first and foremost because it would presumably put an end to any talk of him leaving the club.

“I’ve always felt that a defender is the ideal candidate for the role, and it certainly gets the thumbs up from me.

“Colo has proved he can lead by example and there is no doubt he is regarded as one of our marquee players these days.

“It’s great that Alan Pardew has got this sorted out so early because everybody now knows where they stand.”

Coloccini becomes United’s first overseas captain since an ill-fated decision from Sam Allardyce to hand the armband to Cameroon international Geremi back in 2007.

However, there is a much better vibe about Coloccini’s appointment, given he has proven to be one of United’s most reliable and outstanding performers in the last two seasons.

Whether Coloccini’s promotion to captain can play a part in keeping the unsettled Jose Enrique remains to be seen, with the Spaniard a close ally of the former Deportivo la Coruna star.

Enjoy your year Colo!

He'll be off next summer I reckon. I can't see NUFC investing in him for another few years, even if he would take a pay cut, at 30 years old.

He's the type of centre half who could do a job into his thirties imo but he'll have very limited resale value after that, hence my view that he'll be off.

Great news like this yet you still try and put a negative spin on it. For all we know he could be agreeing to a contract extension along with being appointed captain. This is a fantastic call from Pardew, even though like previously said there were few contenders for the role.

I look forward to seeing Colo walk the Toon out of the tunnel against Arsenal at SJP.

All in all a cracking appointment.

:colo:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9118207.Pardew_to_delay_naming_new_Newcastle_captain/

“I have ideas, but I will probably pick it with a week to go,” said Pardew, who must also identify a new custodian of Newcastle’s iconic number nine shirt. “We will see how pre-season unfolds and see how the squad assembles itself, how it looks and what shape it is in.

“I will then take a view from there because it is an important role, and a few players could wear the armband during the pre-season friendlies.”

Or not. :laugh:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9118207.Pardew_to_delay_naming_new_Newcastle_captain/

“I have ideas, but I will probably pick it with a week to go,” said Pardew, who must also identify a new custodian of Newcastle’s iconic number nine shirt. “We will see how pre-season unfolds and see how the squad assembles itself, how it looks and what shape it is in.

“I will then take a view from there because it is an important role, and a few players could wear the armband during the pre-season friendlies.”

Or not. :laugh:

Someone should make a list of Pardisms...................

Enjoy your year Colo!

Great news like this yet you still try and put a negative spin on it. For all we know he could be agreeing to a contract extension along with being appointed captain. This is a fantastic call from Pardew, even though like previously said there were few contenders for the role.

I look forward to seeing Colo walk the Toon out of the tunnel against Arsenal at SJP.

All in all a cracking appointment.

:colo:

If the club hierarchy were transparent in their policies and communicated their plans for the club truthfully rather than soundbites from Llambias and daily bollocks from Billy Bullshit then it wouldn't be viewed as 'spin' at all, it'd be a discussion about the application of the clubs policy, rather than informed conjecture based on their decisions to date.

Chuffed to bits at this. Such a class act, I can stomach Jose leaving out of resignation to the fact that he wants to go as long as we don't lose Jonas and Colo as well.

Chuffed to bits at this. Such a class act, I can stomach Jose leaving out of resignation to the fact that he wants to go as long as we don't lose Jonas and Colo as well.

Could imagine Jose leaving and the other 2 leaving days after now. :lol:

Nah, great appointment, and hope it can help us in keeping him past his current contract. We've been so lucky to get ourselves such a classy defender the past couple of years, and long may he continue.

The only choice, really. Will be interesting to see whether this has any impact on Enrique's mindset.

Making Coloccini captain doesn't put us in the Champions League next season so I'd say no.

Chuffed to bits for Colo though. The right choice :thup: