Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

He ain't really a leader, but he can at least organise a defence and take charge at the back.

He really is a leader, he leads by example and I know that sounds weird after he tried to walk away from the club but it's still true on the pitch.

Coloccini might not be the blood and thunder leader that Nolan was, but he undeniably brings a significant level of confidence to the pitch that his teammates feed off of. Leadership comes in different forms, and Coloccini's is one of them.

Having said that, it may not be the type of leadership to dig you out of a relegation scrap. We've certainly missed him immensely though, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been in this mess had he not got injured.

He ain't really a leader, but he can at least organise a defence and take charge at the back.

He really is a leader, he leads by example and I know that sounds weird after he tried to walk away from the club but it's still true on the pitch.

On the pitch, I agree.

He brings a calmness and an assured presence at the back which you can see easily dissipated throughout the back four. It's that quality which make him a good leader, imo.

Guest Haris Vuckic

He's a chilled out motherfucker on the ball like. He's just so calm and that's going to be massive.

It's rare you see a player so comfortable in a black and white shirt. Shame he wants away.

Coloccini might not be the blood and thunder leader that Nolan was, but he undeniably brings a significant level of confidence to the pitch that his teammates feed off of. Leadership comes in different forms, and Coloccini's is one of them.

Having said that, it may not be the type of leadership to dig you out of a relegation scrap. We've certainly missed him immensely though, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been in this mess had he not got injured.

:thup:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/coloccini-i-was-never-going-to-turn-my-back-on-newcastle-1-5657602

Coloccini: I was never going to turn my back on Newcastle

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on 09/05/2013 08:00

FABRICIO Coloccini today hit back at claims he was ready to turn his back on Newcastle United’s relegation battle.

United’s influential captain returned from long-term injury last weekend.

And Coloccini will lead the team out at Loftus Road on Sunday knowing a win could keep the club in the Premier League.

The 31-year-old asked to leave United in January because of what were described as “personal matters”, but agreed to stay on after talks with manager Alan Pardew and the club’s hierarchy.

He suffered a back injury in February, and there was speculation he would not return to Newcastle after he was given permission to recuperate with his family in his native Argentina.

But Coloccini says he was never going to walk away from the club after pledging to stay until the end of the season, when more discussions are planned amid interest from Argentinian club San Lorenzo.

“I’m very happy to be back,” Coloccini told the Gazette. “I’ve never been injured or out for that long.

“I like to feel like a footballer, and it’s important to be back.

“I heard people said I wouldn’t play because I wanted to leave, and that I don’t give 100 per cent.

“I don’t like to speak to the Press too much, because I’m like that. But I try to speak on the pitch. I always give 100 per cent.”

For the moment, Coloccini insists he is not thinking about his future, with his focus firmly on the last two games of a troubled domestic season at St James’s Park.

“I love playing football,” he added. “I don’t care what happens in my future, I just want to play.

“On Sunday we have a game, and I want to play. If we had another game on Tuesday, I’d want to play in that as well. I always like to be on the pitch.”

Coloccini – who missed the last two rounds of the club’s Europa League campaign, and the Tyne-Wear derby defeat to Sunderland – admits the last few months have been tough.

“It’s difficult to watch and not play,” he added.

“Sometimes you want to help the team, or try to help others. It’s difficult to do that when you’re watching.

“It was very hard, especially games like Sunderland, where you want to be on the pitch.”

Twitter @milesstarforth

n I’ll lead United out of trouble ... Page 63

Related Articles

We’ll give everything to keep Newcastle in the Premier League – Coloccini

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on 09/05/2013 08:30

FABRICIO Coloccini’s looking to make up for lost time – and lead Newcastle United to safety.

The club’s captain returned from long-term injury against West Ham United at Upton Park last weekend.

And Coloccini’s leadership helped Newcastle claim what could prove an important point.

United face Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road on Sunday knowing a win could be enough to secure their Premier League status after third-from-bottom Wigan Athletic lost on Tuesday night.

“We have confidence, and know that we have to think only of ourselves, not other teams,” Coloccini told the Gazette.

“We are three points above the last place. We just have to do our job.

“Then we think about next season. Newcastle has to be in the Premier League.

“We are focused, and the team knows what we are fighting against. That’s very important.

“We have to think like that. We have to win both games, and not worry about Wigan or other teams. Just us. We are Newcastle United, and have to work on the pitch.”

QPR’s relegation was confirmed late last month, but Coloccini – who was in the United team relegated four years ago – is wary of Harry Redknapp’s side.

“It’ll be a very, very tough game,” added the 31-year-old.

“They have nothing to play for, and we have everything to play for. It’ll be tough, but we know that we have to get points.

“We played well in the first half against West Ham. Now we have to play well for 90 minutes, not just 45 minutes like West Brom or other games. We have to finish very well.”

Coloccini could only watch in frustration as United were beaten by 6-0 by Liverpool and 3-0 by Sunderland last month.

Those results intensified the pressure on Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, while there were reports last week that there was dressing-room unrest at the club.

But Coloccini said: “The manager and the players are together. People can criticise when they want, but we always give our best on the pitch and on the training ground.”

“It was the same when they said I didn’t want to play, or I wasn’t giving 100 per cent.

“It doesn’t affect the changing room. We’re together, and we know what we’re fighting.

“We’ve got players who have played in the Champions League and have won league titles. Nobody wants to go down here.

“We’re fighting together in the same way.”

Twitter: @milesstarforth

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/we-ll-give-everything-to-keep-newcastle-in-the-premier-league-coloccini-1-5657604

"Then we think about next season. Newcastle has to be in the Premier League"

note "Newcastle has to be in the Premier League" not "we" .... :frantic:

Bet his body language was sulky/headgone when he said that.

I would love another season out of him :( strange but somehow I didn't realise how much we missed him until he came back, despite us getting humped.

“We played well in the first half against West Ham. Now we have to play well for 90 minutes, not just 45 minutes like West Brom or other games. We have to finish very well.”

This is just what Pardew and the players need to know.

Guest neesy111

More soundbites coming out of the club.  They should all just put up or shut up.

No other player has the impact on our team and performance that Colo does. He even makes Taylor look decent.

Aye but he's no leader  :cheesy:

Totally agree BL. He makes a colossal difference, the colossus that he is.

Had we not spent money in January we'd have gone down without a whimper. Something tells me you wouldn't be running around calling him a leader then.

No other player has the impact on our team and performance that Colo does. He even makes Taylor look decent.

Aye but he's no leader  :cheesy:

Totally agree BL. He makes a colossal difference, the colossus that he is.

Had we not spent money in January we'd have gone down without a whimper. Something tells me you wouldn't be running around calling him a leader then.

We'd never have sold Ba without getting at least some sort of replacement.

We'd never have sold Ba without getting at least some sort of replacement.

I don't really agree with Ronaldo on Colo and can't be arsed to go into it but you do realise we had no choice over Ba?

He had a clause in his contract for 7m, we had no power at all.