Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/18/fabricio-coloccini-meeting-pope-newcastle

Fabricio Coloccini's meeting with the Pope cannot shake Newcastle faith

• Coloccini refocused on Newcastle after personal problems

• Player and Pope Francis share love of San Lorenzo

Fabricio Coloccini spent last season overwhelmed by problems in his private life and was so unhappy that, in January, he tried to force Newcastle United into selling him to San Lorenzo.

No sooner had that route back to his native Argentina been closed off by the St James' Park board than the central defender succumbed to a serious back injury. Now Alan Pardew's captain is finally fit again and seems to have fallen back in love with being a Newcastle player.

"As you know, I had personal problems," said Coloccini as he prepared for Monday night's match at Manchester City. "I spoke with my family this summer and had to take a decision. I told them I've worked all my life to have my dream of playing at the top level of football. It was a difficult conversation but they could understand that and that's why I'm here now.

"I made my decision in the middle of the holidays. I am here now and I am happy.

"My relationship with Newcastle was very important in making my decision. All the fans in the street, when they stopped me, they asked me to stay and those things sometimes make the difference.

"Newcastle is a special club for me, of course. I've supported San Lorenzo since I was small but I feel something for Newcastle now. I've been here five years and the fans are amazing. I have a contract for a long time here and hopefully I can see out that contract."

Not that his love for San Lorenzo has been extinguished. Accordingly Coloccini was delighted to discuss his old club with Pope Francis when he met him while on international duty with the Argentina squad in Italy last week.

"I knew Pope Francis was a San Lorenzo fan. He has a season ticket and everything," he said. "You could tell he still really loves San Lorenzo when he spoke with us last week. I shook hands with him. He is always speaking about San Lorenzo and so for me as a fan it was amazing."

Pardew can only hope the Pope spared a prayer for Newcastle as they strive to put last season's travails behind them by making a positive start at City, where Coloccini may find himself marking his international compatriot Sergio Agüero.

"Sergio's very good," said Newcastle's captain. "He's a good man and a fantastic player. I'm good friends with him. How we can stop him is difficult to say because he is a top player and can do what he wants every time. We may have to give him a little kick."

Like a new signing.