Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I think Jamie Carragher said we were defending zonal and that it would be Santon's man. If a player enters your zone you mark him.

In any case the players closest to him - Santon/Colo barely bother to notice that he's there and Willo ends up being the one to attempt a challenge even though he was furthest away. Poor from Santon and Colo.

First things first and Williamson was marking Mertesacker, and should be. Tallest versus tallest and all that. The rest was pretty poor setup in such a defensive setup. To me it looked like Coloccini was marking giroud, but it looked like it was zonal aswell. Colos gesture after the goal made it look like he was not to blame about it but I don't really know, think he was the closest one, and it made sense that it was him. Mostly because, who else was he marking?

Mike wasn't marking him man.

Willo was marking Mertesaker. Giroud was in between Colo and Santon and neither took any responsibility. I think Santon as the man behind Giroud was in the better position to defend but I'd also question Colo's leadership in that situation.

It was a good free kick but terrible that no defender got within a foot of Giroud and he was just able to stroll on to the ball. If Willo had been one of the defenders he'd have grabbed hold of Giroud and stuck to him like a limpet. It's what street-wise defenders do and with the pair of them being so close it's difficult for a ref to work out who's doing what.

It was always inevitable that as soon as a goal gets scored and Willo is within five yards of the situation, that he's going to get the blame. But in reality he was trying to clear up other people's mess.

Excellent post. It's that type of defending that makes people question Colo as captain or if his head is in the team 100%.  No organising. Doesn't take responsibility etc. 

Spotted him hacking at his own ligaments with an axe in the second half, c***.

Don't forget this time last season he was breaking his own back.

He hurt his back end of Feb.

MYM - Williamson - Taylor - Santon is a decent back 4. No excuse whatsoever not to start HBA in front of MYM.