Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Woodgate was imperious imo

So was Colo for a couple of seasons.

Aye, not taking it away from him, just at peak I preferred woodgate

Fair enough, would never call anyone wrong for picking either way tbh.

woodgate was the better defender, but colo's better on the ball.

Woodgate was the best central defender I've ever seen here, he didn't have a weakness. Colo can lose the odd crucial header and isn't the quickest. Unlike Woodgate though, he is available for 90% of games whereas Woodgate was a constant crock.

Woodgate was the best central defender I've ever seen here, he didn't have a weakness. Colo can lose the odd crucial header and isn't the quickest. Unlike Woodgate though, he is available for 90% of games whereas Woodgate was a constant crock.

Woodgate did have a weakness and you've mentioned it yourself, he was far too injury prone and was absolutely useless for us when sitting in the stands.

Those of us old enough to remember when being in and out of the relegation zone wasn't acceptable saw a better one, like.

I think Colo had a longer, more consistent period at his best that was close to or as good as Woodgate's spell for us, so would personally pick the Colo that saw us to 5th in the league... just.

I don't think that best was Woodgate best though.

Those of us old enough to remember when being in and out of the relegation zone wasn't acceptable saw a better one, like.

I think Colo had a longer, more consistent period at his best that was close to or as good as Woodgate's spell for us, so would personally pick the Colo that saw us to 5th in the league... just.

I don't think that best was Woodgate best though.

That's fair enough. As I said before I won't tell anyone their opinion is wrong for picking either way. They are both by far and away the best two centre backs I've seen play for us. Colo fully deserved his place in team of the season the year we finished 5th and Woodgate certainly earned his move to Madrid.

He has been a very good CB, excellent when he really feels like he's up for a game, but he's past his best now. His pace, never a strong point, has deteriorated and he now relies on his reading of a game which admittedly is good but we need a long-term quality CB to partner Mbemba.

Shelvey's arrival will take some pressure off him as he provides a good outlet in front of the back 4, but it cannot be a long term solution...or even a medium term one.

Top managers always know when to replace top players - Shankly was ruthless that way and so was Clough.

Coloccini has taken a lot of stick in the past few seasons and not undeserved either, it hasn't helped that he's had no one of any note in front of him but during the latter part of the Pardew years he was abysmal. We've kept patience with him as a club and he's started to repay some of that patience now. He deserves the credit he's getting for recent performances but it's the least he owes us after a nightmare couple of years. I like this new Colo and let it continue until the end of the season please, ultimately though, this needs to be his last season, he's not got many years left in him and we need to be bedding his long term replacement.

Colo has been decent in the last few games but has put in some awful performances earlier in the season. There's no comparison between him and Woodgate ability-wise. Woodgate is easily the best central defender we have had in my living memory (which goes back to Moncur). Crying shame how his career panned out, he was more or less knackered by the time he left us.

Colo had his best performance this saturday past, and a couple of better ones before that. But if you look at his half season he has been crap more times than good, the season before was a farce, so all in all I would still like to see a good centre back bought this window (behind a striker)...