Leeds United 3-2 Newcastle United - FT

Skirge

For fucks sake, this Simpson shit is bordering on ridiculous like. The lad is average aye, but people are as usual going way over the top with their criticism of him. He did far more good than bad last season. He does back off at times when he shouldn't, but he frequently gets slated for backing off when he has sound reason to do so.

:thup: I mentioned it a while back, players have certain poorer parts of their game pointed out and then it gets exaggerated massively. The lad does need to learn not to back off so much but if he doesn't fly into the player every time an attack comes down his side he will have had another game where he has backed off too much.

For fucks sake, this Simpson shit is bordering on ridiculous like. The lad is average aye, but people are as usual going way over the top with their criticism of him. He did far more good than bad last season. He does back off at times when he shouldn't, but he frequently gets slated for backing off when he has sound reason to do so.

:thup: I mentioned it a while back, players have certain poorer parts of their game pointed out and then it gets exaggerated massively.

:thup:

The backing off thing is another one of those N-O myths, for sure.

I've disliked Simpson since day one and I've stated why plenty of times - not big enough, not strong enough, not particularly quick, not particularly good on the ball, passing is poor, doesn't offer much going forward aside from the occasional belting cross, etc. - but he's adequate enough for where we are. He did show some very promising things at (brief) times last season, too, and in theory he should only get better.

I'd like to see another Jose quality player for the right, but that's not going to happen, so I'm happy enough with Simpson for another season.

Well said. The people who criticise him for it ALL THE TIME have clearly never played in defence at a competitive level. There's a time to commit yourself and a time to jockey - more often than not the correct thing to do is jockey. Sometimes Simpson gets it wrong, but nowhere near as often as people make out.

Guest neesy111

Well said. The people who criticise him for it ALL THE TIME have clearly never played in defence at a competitive level. There's a time to commit yourself and a time to jockey - more often than not the correct thing to do is jockey. Sometimes Simpson gets it wrong, but nowhere near as often as people make out.

:no:

Jesus, just saw the goals. All 3 conceded were pathetic. Forster looking like a total amature. As for Williamson....

Williamson/Taylor as a partnership is the pits like, but for this game they did have the added element of an unsure goalkeeper and an out-of-position youngster in and around them. Plus no Super Cheick to shield them. Hopefully it's been a bit of an eye-opener for Pardew and he'll start to see why narks like me want him to bring in three new defenders.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Didn't see the game, but did we play terrible, or was it just the defending that was poor?

Jesus, just saw the goals. All 3 conceded were pathetic. Forster looking like a total amature. As for Williamson....

Williamson/Taylor as a partnership is the pits like, but for this game they did have the added element of an unsure goalkeeper and an out-of-position youngster in and around them. Plus no Super Cheick to shield them. Hopefully it's been a bit of an eye-opener for Pardew and he'll start to see why narks like me want him to bring in three new defenders.

I can understand why the back 5 would be unsettled, afterall it was missing 3 of the normal 5, however Williamson could have prevented 2 of the 3 goals.

Guest neesy111

Didn't see the game, but did we play terrible, or was it just the defending that was poor?

Bit of both, probably more of the latter.

Guest cr4igora

This gives you a good idea: http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110731/leeds-v-newcastle-as-it-happened_2281670_2406414 Two poorly conceded goals were the outcome of individual error from the sound of it.

P.S I'm new around here. Do you have an introductory thread, or not bother with that stuff?

P.P.S Why does the site introduction say "Welcome to Newcastle-Online, The best place to come if you hate Newcastle-Online"? Don't get it  ???

This gives you a good idea: http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110731/leeds-v-newcastle-as-it-happened_2281670_2406414 Two poorly conceded goals were the outcome of individual error from the sound of it.

P.S I'm new around here. Do you have an introductory thread, or not bother with that stuff?

P.P.S Why does the site introduction say "Welcome to Newcastle-Online, The best place to come if you hate Newcastle-Online"? Don't get it  ???

Welcome, there is an introduce yoursellf thread in General Chat :)

P.P.S Why does the site introduction say "Welcome to Newcastle-Online, The best place to come if you hate Newcastle-Online"? Don't get it  ???

If you're male stay away from Ali, if you're female stay away from...well just about everyone. Other than that ignore everything you read in the football section and you should learn to love the place.

:no:

What do you mean ":no:"? Take the time to watch any top-class defensive full-back and take note of how often they commit themselves. Like I say, Simpson sometimes takes it to the extreme and doesn't always block the crossing-angle adequately, but it's nowhere near as regular an occurrence as you're making out like.

Guest bimpy474

P.P.S Why does the site introduction say "Welcome to Newcastle-Online, The best place to come if you hate Newcastle-Online"? Don't get it  ???

Be thicked skinned and have an ability to laugh at yourself, and dont take some replies/things to heart, advice i should have followed when i first joined :D

Cabaye was probably the pick of our players, and played the tackling/holding role rather than Gosling as some had expected before the game. Gosling was the one getting up and down the pitch, though he faded out of the game a lot.

Our defence was typically shaky without our best two players, just showing how much bother we're going to be in if Enrique leaves and Coloccini picks up injuries/suspensions. Taylor was a goal threat as usual but all over the place at the back, particularly first half. Williamson won a number of headers but the mistake for their second was pitiful, IIRC he did exactly the same last season and was punished in similar fashion. It's weird, because he's not normally one to take chances. Tavernier needs a season in the Championship, he has ability and the physique but is rash which is to be expected.

Krul is #1 in my book, barring one sharp save today I've still seen nothing to suggest Forster is better. Couldn't hear him either, despite being close.

Barton was a mixed bag, seemed to lose interest towards the end which was disappointing. We had played some decent stuff first half with him at the centre of it. Ba was promising IMO, could have had a couple of goals and caused them problems throughout. Vuckic and Sammy played well once they came on, as did Best who looked lively.

Any pitch invasions, or barneys?

Nah, nothing. 'If Sammy scores' chants from the first minute though, and he did go close on a couple of occasions. Probably for the best. :laugh:

There was one funny part at a corner/free-kick too, where people were chanting for Taylor to give us a wave (which he did) and that if he scored we'd be on the pitch. He was laughing his head off and gestured to us to stay back. :lol:

Vuckic's reactions to the fans celebrating his goal and at full time was a bit weird, seemed a little overwhelmed by it all. Nice to see a bit of humility. :)

There's an interview with him on .cock, just seems genuinely happy about it all.

Vuckic's reactions to the fans celebrating his goal and at full time was a bit weird, seemed a little overwhelmed by it all. Nice to see a bit of humility. :)

Cheers Dave.