Summer from Hell

Guest BooBoo

What's important is whether it is viewed whether he could repeat his goal scoring feats again this coming season.

i have the feeling, depite rating both him and barton, had they been given contracts, we would have just been lumbered with aged, fattening players here for the pay day- yet again.

I sitll think they should have been kept this season and we should have built around them before getting rid in years to come. Build a good squad around them then replace them with similar material once the squad is built.

I sitll think they should have been kept this season and we should have built around them before getting rid in years to come. Build a good squad around them then replace them with similar material once the squad is built.

But he didn't wan't to stay unless he was settled with a long term contract, primarily due to his kids schooling.

I think we'd have been more than happy for him to stick around for another season.

But he didn't wan't to stay unless he was settled with a long term contract, primarily due to his kids schooling.

Should have offered a player/coaching role or something imo.

If only it was that easy though. As smudger proves, you can't just offer a player a fat contract and expect them to be easy to move on whenever it suits the club.

I think we'd have been more than happy for him to stick around for another season.

Which he rightly wouldn't have accepted. He's still in his 20's.

Which he rightly wouldn't have accepted. He's still in his 20's.

29 isn't he? 3 Year deal with a view to him becoming a coach? Possibly...

Didn't Nolan also have a succesful pass rate of 82 % ?

According to Opta, he attempted 1009 passes, completing 877 = 87% pass rate.

But on the downside, he only created 26 goalscoring chances, 1 assist.  That's pretty poor for an attacking midfielder.

according to Premierleague index, he's no.3 in their top midfielder and 16 overall last year, i guess Premierleague full of s*** players then.  :lol:  :lol:

Rank   Name                  Team    Overall Ranking EA SPORTS Index

1 Florent Malouda        Chelsea                1                661

2 Gnegneri Toure Yaya Man City             9                515

3 Kevin Nolan              Newcastle              16                488

4 Luis Nani                        Man Utd              19                471

5 Charlie Adam               Blackpool                20                468

6 Samir Nasri                 Arsenal              21                463

7 Ashley Young               Aston Villa               23                455

8 Stewart Downing       Aston Villa              27                446

9 Charles N'Zogbia         Wigan              28                442

10 Rafael Van der Vaart Tottenham      30                430

Our club motto should be "Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory" this club could/should/would be a world beater if it hadn't been for the procession of stupid decisions/appointments/protests. FFS we are competing with the Stokes of this world when we have a potential 52k turnout.

The insane decisions of recent history which include the sacking of Bobby followed by the appointment of Souness, which for me is the greatest WTF moment in football history. Disgraceful black spot in our history a legend like Bobby deserved better, and devils advocate it's not like we got rid because Jose or some other football savant was waiting in the wings we knifed Bobby in the back for Souness, fucking disgrace.

Relegation - As much as it would have been a shit season with awful football I still believe we wouldn't have gone down had we sacked Fat Sam (Cunt that he is).

Sacking CH, it hurts because he had done so much to restore some pride and dignity to the side/club. Promoted as champions with no drama followed by some huge wins in our fist season and granted some poor defeats but things were ticking along nicely for our first season with minimal investment.

I don't want a billionaire to come and invest like Man City and buy every cunt under the sun, I want us to earn it through great scouting like Tiote & Barfa and inspirational management and yes investment on the right people when the opportunity arises.

I want to be able to be proud of this club, and when we do win something it to be because we have earned it through graft, guile and creativity not because the bloke that owns the club has bought us as a play thing.

according to Premierleague index, he's no.3 in their top midfielder and 16 overall last year, i guess Premierleague full of s*** players then.  :lol:  :lol:

Rank  Name                   Team     Overall Ranking EA SPORTS Index

1 Florent Malouda         Chelsea                 1                 661

2 Gnegneri Toure Yaya Man City            9                 515

3 Kevin Nolan               Newcastle               16                 488

4 Luis Nani                         Man Utd               19                 471

5 Charlie Adam               Blackpool                20                 468

6 Samir Nasri                 Arsenal               21                 463

7 Ashley Young               Aston Villa              23                 455

8 Stewart Downing       Aston Villa               27                 446

9 Charles N'Zogbia         Wigan               28                 442

10 Rafael Van der Vaart Tottenham       30                 430

I wouldn't rely on that Premier League 'index' - it's a joke how points are given.

I want to be able to be proud of this club, and when we do win something it to be because we have earned it through graft, guile and creativity not because the bloke that owns the club has bought us as a play thing.

Ermm we already are a rich blokes plaything, just so happen he dont want to spend anything.

Guest BooBoo

I used to daydream about NUFC winning trophies. Now I just hope for the club to be ran in a relatively sensible manner.

Just about sums it up really

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=249952

The pre-season preparations have drawn to a close with an abandoned match against Fiorentina. How well prepared are NUFC for the coming season?

It seems fair to say that a lot of eyes, if not all, were on Newcastle United during the summer. Armed with the Carrol cash and looking forward to consolidating the Premier League place, great things were expected of the new Newcastle, at least by the supporters who had not already been driven to scepticism.

The pre-season matches seem tom be a good place to start. 2 years ago, a squad was bonded after a defeat at Leyton Orient. The emergence of a team to secure the first ever top flight return at the first attempt is history, if not legend. Hughton and the lads did us proud, if pride can come from a relegation.

Pardew seems to have set about his first full campaign in the same vein, seeking to engender the same sort of spirit. He has done a sterling job in achieving the same sort of humbling defeats against former Champions League contenders Leeds United and potential world leaders in the next millennium, Orlando City.

Undoubtedly, the famous wins went against the plan, showing the tremendous spirit that the new manager has built up. Nobody can question the fantastic performance against Darlington, the team that finished 7th in the Conference National last time round. The opening goal was down to Joey Barton, more of who will come later. Columbus Crew have certainly earned their place in the highest echelon of the mighty USA.

On the plus side, after the States trip, the squad have enough air miles to be able to take on the rest of Europe at minimal cost in a couple of years, assuming that Pardew can reproduce his Johnstone`s Paint pot triumph with Southampton at a higher level.

2 goals have come from strikers, the two Ameobis, in 5 games. The most promising player has been a teenage prospect. Who knows if the unprolific Alan Smith will return to the number 9 role?

Key to the positive aspects of the pre-season is the transfer activity. Newcastle United have expanded into the continent. There are several new signings that demonstrate we are capable of raiding the continent, Pardew having a certain Henry V quality. Marveaux, Ba, Cabaye and Abeid have already made it to SJP. Allegedly, the new Obafemi Martins, or Obertan is set to follow. This season france, who knows, maybe next season, further afield, Belgium and Luxemburg might provide the quality for the future.

Of the outgoing in the last two windows, there is nobody to be missed. Nolan was last season`s top scorer, Carrol was before he was sold. Kuqi and Campbell have yet to be replaced, the former of which Pardew repeatedly highlighted for his character in training. Barton`s future is to be decided whilst Pards seems to have given up on Enrique.

The manager has gone on record to disparage Enrique as wanting to leave despite a "fantastic" contract offer. According to the player, now established as one of the top flight`s best left backs, he has been offered the same terms as he was when he was a promising 21 year old. Since the club have not refuted that claim, it can only be assumed that Jose has been fined 2 weeks wages for telling the truth, having no right of reply to the regime`s disparaging remarks.

The other contract rebel is Joey Barton. Barton apparently refused, according to the club, a contract extension that he was not offered. Joey has also highlighted the lack of ambition within the club, a total misapprehension on his part since at least £2m of the Carrol cash has yet to be spent, along with last season`s profit and projected earnings from the next season which is what most Premier League clubs look at.

Pardew himself is surely not the issue. After all, at his initial conference he did state that he had assurances from the board that Carrol would not be sold. Despite the reputations of Ashley and Llambias, he secured further assurances, namely that he could spend the Carrol cash.

We have to admire Pardew`s determination. He resolved to keep the club`s best players, even apart from Carrol. Top score Nolan, top creator Barton, we all know what has happened to them.

Adding a note of reality, Pardew did point out that we can not compete with the big clubs. It has to be appreciated that Newcastle United are only the 3rd best supported club in England.

Those big clubs obviously include the only top flight Welsh club Swansea, who retained the services of their left back, Neil Taylor. 2nd division West Ham were able to offer better terms for our top scorer. Neighbours, Sunderland were able to attract the likes of Seb Larsson.

Most recently, Pardew seems to have accepted his fate, that there are other ambitious clubs. Newcastle United will not be competing at the top whilst Mike Ashley owns the club. Investment doesn`t fit in with the strategy.

So there we have it. In pre-season, the first team squad was literally an ocean apart. The most notable performers seem to be gone or going. Every assurance that Pardew has been given by his bosses has been contradicted by their actions. The manager himself has publicly stated that promises have been broken.

At the moment, the club looks like a laughing stock. Let`s hope the supporters have the last laugh with some notable signings in the next 3 weeks. More than likely, it will be Ashley laughing all the way to the bank as he pockets the Carrol money on top of operating profit from last season and the one to come.

Sure there was another slightly less suicidal pre-season thread on here but this will have to do..

Pre-season 'Highlights' video on .cock, freeview, lots of clips of Obertan and random squad members talking without any audio and cringey background music, Alan Carr taking the piss out of his dad, plus someone volleying a ball into someone's arse.. all very bizzare. Oh and Cabaye half naked  :laugh2:

• 2 weeks later...

4 points from 2 tough games, 2 players still needed (ok 3 or 4 if we are looking at it being realistic perfection).

Not too bad tbh, all depends on getting this left back and forward but it could be a good one imo.

Looking forward to seeing our new signing Gosling replace Tiote in the middle after he's sold to Arsenal for 17-22m. Net transfer spend this calendar year, -60m+ in the black.

:alone:

/Ashley