Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Obertan just looks like he has no confidence man, my God. I could definitely see him being a completely different player under someone who was more upbeat and enthusiastic, and instilled more confidence in people.

He's a ridiculous athlete. Pardew is using him correctly, (off the bench late) he's just.... ineffective. If he did have some confidence, he'd be a valuable asset. But how do you get confidence on this team?

Poor Obertan ... dude is cursed. Can't help but feel sad for him  :lol:

I maintain that the ball from Sissoko was s*** though. The guy's passing is criminally bad at times.

Had to play the ball in front of Obertan who was at full pelt, and made up a ridiculous amount of ground to get in the position he did.

Obertan just looks like he has no confidence man, my God. I could definitely see him being a completely different player under someone who was more upbeat and enthusiastic, and instilled more confidence in people.

Not just that but it was the wrong option.... should have passed to Remy.

The best players in the world have the skills and mental strength to perform at the very top level, in the biggest games. This lad will never make it without a combination of both. He made it through the clairefontaine academy, so he must have some talent/ability in there somewhere, but without the mental strength to perform when under such intense scrutiny, he will never make it at this level.

He's extremely quick and has enough talent to play in the premier league. But he has no heart. None at all. He plays like a timid 6 year old, shit scared of any sort of contact.

I'll make a bet with anyone on here, of piss drinking proportion that Obertan never amounts to fuck all in any top league.

What concerns me is that many were saying similar about Routledge not being assertive enough and showing the confidence he needed to, obviously not to anywhere near the same extent, but Routledge was so passive and timid for us too, once we came up.

He then went to Swansea and shone brightly for them. He was quite frankly unrecognizable to the player that featured for us in the prem.

Ironically, Obertan was linked with Swansea over the summer. Would be fascinating to see how he turns out if he goes somewhere like that.

He needs a brain before he needs confidence.

This.

I can see him running out his contract with the rare loan here and there before going back to France and slowly disappearing into mediocrity like David Bellion did.

Routledge had at least done well with Crystal Palace in the PL to get noticed before the pressure overtook him. He also did well in the Championship for QPR and us before moving on to a promoted side that suits his playing style.

Obertan didn't even prove himself at Bordeaux. Their manager and fans were surprised Man Utd came in for him.

2 goals and 4 assists in 53 PL appearances for us, the number of good decent games for not even touching 10%.

What concerns me is that many were saying similar about Routledge not being assertive enough and showing the confidence he needed to, obviously not to anywhere near the same extent, but Routledge was so passive and timid for us too, once we came up.

He then went to Swansea and shone brightly for them. He was quite frankly unrecognizable to the player that featured for us in the prem.

Ironically, Obertan was linked with Swansea over the summer. Would be fascinating to see how he turns out if he goes somewhere like that.

Routledge was always a decent football player, Obertan is just a good athlete with hopeless ball skills. He can be useful to push back the opposition when protecting a lead, but is hopeless in any other situation.

He's absolutely bloody terrible. If this is us putting him in the shop window it's backfired in a big way. Like putting a chocolate fountain in M&S window only to realise too late that it's actually a fountain of shit.

Guest reefatoon

He's absolutely bloody terrible. If this is us putting him in the shop window it's backfired in a big way. Like putting a chocolate fountain in M&S window only to realise too late that it's actually a fountain of s***.

Apart from that would be entertaining to watch.

Obertan turns heat on Nani

RISING French star Gabriel Obertan is putting Nani's United future under threat.

Don't call me the new Cristiano Ronaldo: Manchester United's Gabriel Obertan rejects comparison despite skilful show

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1231242/Dont-new-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Manchester-Uniteds-Gabriel-Obertan-rejects-comparison-despite-skilful-show.html#ixzz2mcyuyKF3

Gabriel Obertan steps into Cristiano Ronaldo's shoes as Manchester United unleash him on Barnsley

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1223264/Gabriel-Obertan-steps-Cristiano-Ronaldos-boots-Manchester-United-unleash-Barnsley.html#ixzz2mczZsnU6

Now, I'm going to wait a few years before jumping into the Janujaz-hype.  :lol: :lol:

:lol: These headlines are like chaos.

It's like Sam fucked up in an episode of Quantum Leap.

He's absolutely bloody terrible. If this is us putting him in the shop window it's backfired in a big way. Like putting a chocolate fountain in M&S window only to realise too late that it's actually a fountain of s***.

Apart from that would be entertaining to watch.

Whatever floats your boat.

Routledge was always a decent football player, Obertan is just a good athlete with hopeless ball skills. He can be useful to push back the opposition when protecting a lead, but is hopeless in any other situation.

I still think it's mainly his mental attitude that's the problem, he seems very self-conscious and over-thinks things when he has time. He just needs to find a level or league where he can play every week and get some enjoyment and confidence back. He's clearly never going to make it in a top league, but that's alright as long as he realises.

• 4 weeks later...