Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

I was on a very pixelated river, but what exactly did he do for the widespread outrage on here again? Aye, he spurned two good chances, but then he also made the runs to get himself in a position to shoot. Other than that, what did he do so atrociously wrong? He should have scored, indeed, but to me he proved he is quite useful at this exact role of coming on against tired legs when we are in front and keeping them on the back foot with his pace. He certainly much better at that role than starting as a winger and being expected to be a creator of chances.

He's got no end product that's the problem. The one where he was clean through on the keeper it was easier to score than to miss. He lacks belief, shooting power and can't cross. But he can run quite quickly, if he had even one of those qualities I listed he'd be a useful squad player.

I was on a very pixelated river, but what exactly did he do for the widespread outrage on here again? Aye, he spurned two good chances, but then he also made the runs to get himself in a position to shoot. Other than that, what did he do so atrociously wrong? He should have scored, indeed, but to me he proved he is quite useful at this exact role of coming on against tired legs when we are in front and keeping them on the back foot with his pace. He certainly much better at that role than starting as a winger and being expected to be a creator of chances.

He's got no end product that's the problem. The one where he was clean through on the keeper it was easier to score than to miss. He lacks belief, shooting power and can't cross. But he can run quite quickly, if he had even one of those qualities I listed he'd be a useful squad player.

Pace in itself is a useful attribute when you're in the lead and need to relieve pressure is what I was getting at. He is by no means a first team player, and I wouldn't mind if we shifted him, but the grief he gets on here is largely based on how fed up people (me included) were back when he was keeping Hatem out of the team. If that was young Campbell yesterday we'd be saying he looked promising for getting into goalscoring positions.

Pace in itself is a useful attribute when you're in the lead and need to relieve pressure is what I was getting at. He is by no means a first team player, and I wouldn't mind if we shifted him, but the grief he gets on here is largely based on how fed up people (me included) were back when he was keeping Hatem out of the team. If that was young Campbell yesterday we'd be saying he looked promising for getting into goalscoring positions.

Tbqph, if Campbell displays that level of 'composure' in front of goal i'd have even more serious doubts about his future.

Two squandered chances aside, he did what he was supposed to do when we brought him on - running at a tiring defence.

Mind you, he's fast becoming a lost cause for us.

He's the same level as Gosling for me, too many players ahead of him to really get any sort of a chance.

Best bet would be both going out on a long term loan tbh.

Two squandered chances aside, he did what he was supposed to do when we brought him on - running at a tiring defence.

He's the same level as Gosling for me, too many players ahead of him to really get any sort of a chance.

I wish that were true, but the lack of options on the wings and pace throughout the side means Obertan is much closer to the squad than Gosling for me.

He'd still be useful from the bench from time to time but I'm very indifferent about him now. My willingness to give him a chance has fallen quite dramatically (same with Gosling).

I wish that were true, but the lack of options on the wings and pace throughout the side means Obertan is much closer to the squad than Gosling for me.

I would say Obertan has Gouffran, Remy, Ben Arfa and Sammy (none of those are exactly sluggish) in front of him for 2 places, Gosling has Marveaux, Cabaye, Anita, Tiote, Bigi and Sissoko in front of him for 3 places.

About the same chances imo.

I would say Obertan has Gouffran, Remy, Ben Arfa and Sammy (none of those are exactly sluggish) in front of him for 2 places, Gosling has Marveaux, Cabaye, Anita, Tiote, Bigi and Sissoko in front of him for 3 places.

Based on a 4-3-3 and including two natural strikers as wide forwards that's probably about right tbf, with Jonas a shoe in before either. In any other formation, Obertan is much closer to the first team than Gosling is imho. Also, it only takes one injury to the 3 players ahead of him in your example for him to be on the bench, whereas one injury in the middle of the park would probably/hopefully see Bigi make the match day squad before Gosling. Not a lot in it as you say, but to my mind Gosling does not offer any specific attribute that could be useful throughout the season besides from being an option, whereas Obertan does. Having said that, I hope we don't see much of him, as I think Sammy is more deserving of the odd chance and offers us more as an impact sub.

Based on a 4-3-3 and including two natural strikers as wide forwards that's probably about right tbf, with Jonas a shoe in before either. In any other formation, Obertan is much closer to the first team than Gosling is imho. Also, it only takes one injury to the 3 players ahead of him in your example for him to be on the bench, whereas one injury in the middle of the park would probably/hopefully see Bigi make the match day squad before Gosling. Not a lot in it as you say, but to my mind Gosling does not offer any specific attribute that could be useful throughout the season besides from being an option, whereas Obertan does. Having said that, I hope we don't see much of him, as I think Sammy is more deserving of the odd chance and offers us more as an impact sub.

:thup:

Did his job, kept the pressure on them, helped us defend by attacking keeping tired minds and legs pinned back. Damn shame he's crap in front of goal but defenders can't risk him fluffing it so have to chase him down  like a real threat.

I'd rather him not be here, but he's better than Jonas by some Fucking distance

He's got a lot of pace, to use him effectively if someone just told him to knock it past the opponent chase after it get to the byline and cross it, he'd be a useful squad player. Yes his crossing isn't  amazing but he would put opponents under pressure. It's not complex knock it chase after it run cross.

You say that  :lol: but he's done that once, that I can recall.

He's got a lot of pace, to use him effectively if someone just told him to knock it past the opponent chase after it get to the byline and cross it, he'd be a useful squad player. Yes his crossing isn't  amazing but he would put opponents under pressure. It's not complex knock it chase after it run cross.

Well, I listed three weaknesses in his game which held him back earlier: lack of self belief, lack of shooting power and lack of crossing ability. I guess you can add lack of a football brain to that as well. But he can run fast, no doubt about that.