Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Obertan's rubbish but he can be useful now and again. He wasn't one I was absolutely dying for us to sell because he's the only winger we've got. Stick him on for ten minutes at the end, ideally when we're already winning, and he can give you something. Any other scenario and he's useless.

Of course, every second he spends on the pitch defaults as being a total pisstake, given HBA's situation.

Wouldn't be surprised if the only reason he's been featuring is to get him a move.

Cynicism aside, this is what I've been assuming. He hasn't had a sniff in first team for months, so he was clearly unfancied. That won't get him a move though...

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I think we've had many a poorer player and he is the only established winger in the squad, but he needs to go. I'd rather see Aarons and Sammy share whatever role Obertan is meant to have.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-asks-newcastle-united-7681833

Alan Pardew has asked the boo boys to give Gabriel Obertan a break if he appears against Crystal Palace this weekend.

The French winger has endured a tough couple of years after being a regular in the United first team but has shown some promise with some steady summer form.

Obertan created Newcastle’s first goal of the season when his cross deflected off John Egan for an own goal in the 1-0 win at Gillingham on Tuesday evening.

Pardew could give the ex-Manchester United man a run out against Palace and said: “Sometimes at our ground it’s difficult for him, he has to play well at home.

“He had a little bit more freedom at Gillingham and I thought he showed some qualities.”

Obertan has been tracked by a couple of clubs in the last fortnight but nobody has taken the plunge to take the winger off United’s hands.

Pardew said: “I think Gabby has been very good pre-season.

http://i4.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article7591136.ece/alternates/s615/Alan-Pardew.jpg

“It’s a bit like when we finished fifth when he started those first 10 games.”

And Pardew even feels that Obertan can get the boo boys off his back.

He said: “If I can keep him where he is now, his confidence levels, he can win back the crowd.”

Pardew is eager to build up wing play and provide more assistance to his strikers with Rolando Aarons also told he won’t be loaned out and will get plenty of game time this season.

Massadio Haidara is also keen to chip in with more assists. After performing well against the Gills he said: “We have to deliver good crosses if we want the strikers to score, so that is what I was trying to do.

“I also thought I had scored my first goal for Newcastle and it was a shame it hit the bar.

“But it gave me some confidence and now I will try more shots.

“I felt good and happy because it was my first game of the season.

“Hopefully I have impressed the manager and now I have to try and play more games.”

Pardew said: “I think Gabby has been very good pre-season.

“It’s a bit like when we finished fifth when he started those first 10 games.”

So the form he had for the 10 first games in that season, which led to him losing his spot in the team, is good enough to win over the crowd now?  :fool:

I'll never understand why managers write off some players immediately but give other ones chance after chance.

Ego. Obertan was one of the ones he pushed for right?

Anyway, regardless of all that, I think he deserves to start ahead of Gouffran at this point.

At least he may do something worthwhile, even by accident, which Gouffran can't even manage nowadays.

I believe in the Obertan.