Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

No chance, man. What would Larsson have given us this season?

From what I've seen, Larsson relies on set-pieces and crossing, and doesn't offer much else. I'd much rather Cabaye taking set pieces over Larsson, so I agree that pace is probably as important as any other.

No chance, man. What would Larsson have given us this season?

Decent delivery?  A proven (admittedly mediocre) Premier League pedigree?  Not such a risk, but instead a solid player at the least?

We have solid delivery. Obertan will give us more.

I'm not sure that lad would be signing to predominantly sit on the bench because isn't that what he's been doing for the Mancs?

Barely played at all though really. played the odd nothing champions league group game for them or carling cup game. Rarely came off the bench or even made the bench if i remember rightly

Would people have preferred Seb Larsson?  My answer's yes btw, although it's interesting that we seem to be prioritising pace.

larsson's looked fucking terrible for ages for me...did you see his performance up here for example?

hes a corner taker.

Guest Heneage

How can he be Barton's replacement, he's nothing like him. He's Routledge's replacement, it's fairly obvious.

Guest Heneage

How can he be Barton's replacement, he's nothing like him. He's Routledge's replacement, it's fairly obvious.

And if he's our last midfield signing and Barton leaves?

Still not Barton's replacement. They aren't even comparable in style.

And if he's our last midfield signing and Barton leaves?

Still not Barton's replacement. They aren't even comparable in style.

Style's not important here, it's about plugging gaps in the first team if certain players are to leave.

Like to think ubertan is in for routledge and barnetta will be brought in if Barton goes. Would be nice if we just brought barnett in first rather than potentially missing out later and scrambling if Barton goes, it's not as if he couldn't slot into several other positions in the team.

Would people have preferred Seb Larsson?  My answer's yes btw, although it's interesting that we seem to be prioritising pace.

I think we have been lacking pace on the right and he will be a decent alternative to Barton/Taylor (shudder). I don't think Larson would have offered us much different and is pretty slow.

Larsson is a better replacement for Barton due to their similarities.  However, to us, Obertan is a better option since we no longer rely on set pieces that much and now plays a more pacey, pass and move attacking style.

Larsson Barnetta is a better replacement for Barton due to their similarities.  However, to us, Obertan is a better option since we no longer rely on set pieces that much and now plays a more pacey, pass and move attacking style.

:shifty:

Im going to live in the small corner of my house that is left with optimism, cling to it and say we are either keeping Barton or we will bring someone else in addition to Obertan. convinced he is to replace Routledge. Pardew said back in January that we would replace Routledge.

Like to think ubertan is in for routledge and barnetta will be brought in if Barton goes. Would be nice if we just brought barnett in first rather than potentially missing out later and scrambling if Barton goes, it's not as if he couldn't slot into several other positions in the team.

This is a major fallacy in some people's thinking. People ridiculed the idea that Obertan was Barnetta's replacement but effectively that's what he is. A cheaper alternative to buying Barnetta. The interest in Barnetta is now dead I guarantee you, no way will we be buying two right wingers who would compete for the same spot.

This is a major fallacy in some people's thinking. People ridiculed the idea that Obertan was Barnetta's replacement but effectively that's what he is. A cheaper alternative to buying Barnetta. The interest in Barnetta is now dead I guarantee you, no way will we be buying two right wingers who would compete for the same spot.

Every time I've seen Obertan it's been on the left wing.  I may be missing something though.

Every time I've seen Obertan it's been on the left wing.  I may be missing something though.

Hes mainly right footed but can play on either wing, like jonas in that sense...