Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Can feel myself straying into 'writing him off too early' territory here. But i can't help it; i've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest that this guy instead of Barton (or a better signing) is a good thing. Get Marveaux in the team ffs. Obertan is useful at running on the break where there's a bit of space. Everything else, he's generally clueless.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Was decent.

Impact player for now, still has a lot of time to learn. He's very clever with the ball when he's got options ahead of him, and like I've said, I don't think he's very comfortable wide right.

Grew after a very frustrating first half. Needs to find that aggression, flair and confidence a bit quicker.

Often dallies before playing a ball in when he should really be putting it in as soon as possible for Ba and Best's runs.

He'd be a brilliant impact player if he played like he did today (lots of running) but he shouldn't be starting.

I'm quite irritated that we've paid £3m for such a thing, though, when we've got the likes of Sammy to do it.

Didn't think he was that bad today, I would keep in the team. Certainly too soon to start writing him off or treating him as a bad signing.

He isn't a bad signing at all, but Pardew needs to stop starting him. He just isn't better than Marveaux.

Didn't think he was that bad today, I would keep in the team. Certainly too soon to start writing him off or treating him as a bad signing.

He isn't a bad signing at all, but Pardew needs to stop starting him. He just isn't better than Marveaux.

Maybe, but don't we need to keep Jonas on the left with Raylor playing LB? And is Marveaux any good on the right?

Other than an almost complete lack of tracking back he looks more of a threat than Jonas. Seriously, those criticising him need to truly compare the offensive side of Jonas's game with his. His movement is on the whole better and he has quicker feet. He's only had a few games to find those feet too as compared to Jonas.