Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Sorry like but he isn't a winger. He is a 433 forward. Nathan Dyer and Jesus Navas are orthodox wingers. Gabriel Obertan is a channel forward made to cut inside and provide a few tricks. He doesn't have the directness of an orthodox winger.

Edit: He could easily have the physical attributes to be a winger of course. What I mean though is that throughout his footballing education he hasn't been moulded or groomed to be a winger. Pardew is just completely mis-using him.

Agree completely. Should be left side of a front three in a 4-3-3. The very position he did so well from to get the goal.

Willing to bet good money that if used in that position consistently, then he would dramatically increase his end product in terms of goals and assists for us in our current situation. Pardew is too short-sighted and ignorant to see it though.

I wonder how long this "renaissance" will last? Don't think he is suddenly going to become a good player somehow.

It wasn't really until 26-27 that something clicked with Routledge and he transformed from a very good Championship player to a good solid Premier League player. It's a long shot but if Obertan sorts his head out, he has the raw attributes to have a fair career still.

I wonder how long this "renaissance" will last? Don't think he is suddenly going to become a good player somehow.

It wasn't really until 26-27 that something clicked with Routledge and he transformed from a very good Championship player to a good solid Premier League player. It's a long shot but if Obertan sorts his head out, he has the raw attributes to have a fair career still.

You really are optimistic. Hope you are right.

He was the best player on the pitch by a mile yesterday. However the ability to get away from opposition defenders and carry the ball forward in any sort of incisive thrust into opposing territory will risk losing possession and will not be tolerated by Pardew.

Until he reverts to his old way of turning round and passing it back or sideways to where the mass of our defensive formation is he will have no chance of starting a game.

After last weeks performance he must now be close to being dropped

Maybe I'm going senile but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Haidara given a few games on the left-wing position. I think it's pretty clear that the strongest part of his game is going forward, he's a natural left-footer and he surely couldn't offer any less than Gouffran. Plus he'll track back plenty to keep Pardew happy.

Maybe I'm going senile but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Haidara given a few games on the left-wing position. I think it's pretty clear that the strongest part of his game is going forward, he's a natural left-footer and he surely couldn't offer any less than Gouffran. Plus he'll track back plenty to keep Pardew happy.

Do fullbacks ever play well on the wing though? I can't think of any real examples. A lot easier to attack coming from deep on the overlap than it is starting as a winger.

Do fullbacks ever play well on the wing though? I can't think of any real examples. A lot easier to attack coming from deep on the overlap than it is starting as a winger.

Garef Baiu  :cheesy:

Bale's alright.

Bale's alright.

Not bad at all

I'd rather play Ryan Taylor wide on the right than Obertan.

You what mate

I'd have thought it was fairly self explanatory. Ryan Taylor, yeah? The mediocre full back whose leg fell off, well in my opinion I believe we'd be better off playing him than Obertan. And by better off I don't mean good, I mean less shit.

I'd rather play Ryan Taylor wide on the right than Obertan.

You what mate

I'd have thought it was fairly self explanatory. Ryan Taylor, yeah? The mediocre full back whose leg fell off, well in my opinion I believe we'd be better off playing him than Obertan. And by better off I don't mean good, I mean less s***.

You what mate