Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

How many players all of a sudden just take massive mental leaps though? You tend to either have good decision making or you don't in my opinion, you can improve it a bit but it's mostly an innate thing.

Obertan can improve, of course he can, but he'll always be a headless chicken to some extent I would expect.

His physical pace is totally undermined by his mental slowness. That's basically it for me.

Exactly.

Sort his brain out and he's a monster.

We have no choice, it's time to implant an idea through Inception. Where's Di Caprio when you need him?

Seriously though, looks like Obertan has confidence issues - he needs a mentor of some sort to help get the best out of him. As it stands, he's an impact player, no more, no less.

He's not that great at football. His brain is only part of the problem.

He couldn't even get a game for the Eastenders team that was just on before. :lol:

Although, I guess then it'd have Max and Tan in the same side, bad-um-tish.

I really have to question if his brain is so small then wtf is in that enourmous head of his ffs, there must be something in there i mean look at this....

http://e0.365dm.com/11/08/660x350/Gabriel-Obertan-Newcastle-United-Arsenal-Prem_2635787.jpg

He looks like f*cking Squidward from Spongebob ffs.

I really have to question if his brain is so small then wtf is in that enourmous head of his ffs, there must be something in there i mean look at this....

http://e0.365dm.com/11/08/660x350/Gabriel-Obertan-Newcastle-United-Arsenal-Prem_2635787.jpg

He looks like f*cking Squidward from Spongebob ffs.

his brains not in his head - it's that growth just in front of his right ear.

Nah, that's just when he thinks to hard that part expands like a balloon.

Unfortunately I think he is player that needs a big hug and mollycoddling opposed to a kick in the balls and slap to get his head right. Upside is Pardew is all about the love.

Okay, so things (mainly justified) were said about him last season (even from myself) but one thing's for sure, I'm not going to write him off just yet. Call me crazy but I reckon he does have a future here.

I think he'll be poor again - with the odd decent flash.  I like him away from home when looking to take pressure off and close games out.  He's a dozy sod though and that is hard to change.

Guest hydeous

If we finally end up not signing a striker, Obertan is going to be our main man!! Pardew will cast his magic upon him and the new Henry will be born.

Okay, so things (mainly justified) were said about him last season (even from myself) but one thing's for sure, I'm not going to write him off just yet. Call me crazy but I reckon he does have a future here.

I agree with you TBH. He hasn't been good but he's not as terrible as people think. Hopefully he can play a part next season.

Guest Phil K

Hope he proves us wrong like Percherino did. Like Besty did before being injured after Carrolls treachery

Somehow don't think he has the heart or balls of either Perch or Leon

One of the most frustrating players I have ever seen play for NUFC in that he's actually good, any fool can see he is good but he just has absolutely no guile, confidence or heart.  He has all the ingredients to be a very dangerous player - pace, skill (even though he often doesn't show it) and not the kind who gets shrugged off the ball easily.

Like people have said he shies away from the action, doesn't look to get involved enough, doesn't take enough chances.  I'm sure I don't speak only for myself when I say I actually wouldn't mind him giving away possession a bit more if he just went for it.  Perhaps I'm looking at things way too simply but there's so many times he's got a clear space in front of him and I'm screaming at him to just smash it past the defender and run after it and he never does.

One of the most frustrating players I have ever seen play for NUFC in that he's actually good, any fool can see he is good but he just has absolutely no guile, confidence or heart.  He has all the ingredients to be a very dangerous player - pace, skill (even though he often doesn't show it) and not the kind who gets shrugged off the ball easily.

Like people have said he shies away from the action, doesn't look to get involved enough, doesn't take enough chances.  I'm sure I don't speak only for myself when I say I actually wouldn't mind him giving away possession a bit more if he just went for it.  Perhaps I'm looking at things way too simply but there's so many times he's got a clear space in front of him and I'm screaming at him to just smash it past the defender and run after it and he never does.

I think you're right, I'm (sort of) optimistic that his mental failings can be worked on and he'll learn to use his ability more effectively. He actually hasn't played that much Premier League football in his career.

I hope so anyway, it would be a shame if not because, as you say, he actually has ability.

Hes very fast but hasn't got that acceleration to get past players like a Gillespie. He can't unbalance a defender like a Ginola. Can't cross very well either.

Hes got quite a good first touch a lot of the time which can deceive you into thinking theres a good player in there. I don't think it is a mental problem with him though, in fact I think his assessment of his own abilities is probably spot on.

He should forget about trying to be Cristiano Ronaldo and should study some James Milner videos, preferably either while in France or in the Championship.

I don't even think he's that fast tbh. Not got any skill, is predictable, can't cross very well, doesn't score, doesn't offer anything defensively, takes the wrong option even when making a 5 yard pass and doesn't really try hard enough.

Credit to him for being multi-lingual though. Should be a translator for MI5 or something.

Guest WashyGeordie

I don't even think he's that fast tbh. Not got any skill, is predictable, can't cross very well, doesn't score, doesn't offer anything defensively, takes the wrong option even when making a 5 yard pass and doesn't really try hard enough.

Credit to him for being multi-lingual though. Should be a translator for MI5 or something.

He can cross (Stoke away for Demba's goal) he just doesn't cross enough, or like someone has already said, doesn't get into the action enough.

And he probably is fast, he just uses it the same as Oba Martins (not at all)...