Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Had a good first half especially at the start, put some decent balls in and ran the flanks. Pulled more into the centre in the second which didnt help anyone out but we also needed someone to come past the half way line through the middle.

He is still looking very short in confidence when it comes to taking players on and what to do with the ball when he gets to the box. He has the skills to beat players but is struggling with a huge mental block there. Can be a huge attacking threat if he gets over it.

He must be taking something from Pardews backing putting him in the starting line up, however with Marveaux approaching fitness and Barfa maybe returning I would expect him to be dropped to the bench.

If he doesnt grasp this opportunity with both hands it is going to be hard for him to do anything at this club imo. I still think he is getting better with each game, but as soon as he drops to the bench he is going to start losing any confidence he is building up. He needs to make an impact and quickly. Really its down to him, not much coaching his going to get him over his slump.

He can have no excuses for not tracking his man back when he loses possession. Just f***ing weak man.

Annoying I didnt think he was as bad as a couple of games ago but its a backwards step from Fulham on the defensive side. He worked pretty hard tracking back last game.

He can have no excuses for not tracking his man back when he loses possession. Just fucking weak man.

A coaching issue IMO. The club make a big deal out of signing players who are 'right' for us in terms of attitude etc, well let's see it then.

Still early days but i wouldn't start the lad, think he'd be better used as an impact sub.  For a supposedly quick player he doesn't attack his player very much, loads of times today he had the opportunity to relieve some of our pressure by just getting his head down and bombing down the line but after running about 15 yards stopped and played a pass backwards.

Obertan was one of our better players today I thought. Used the ball well under pressure, and made some good passes on the rare occasion we had the ball on the deck. I won't judge any technique player while we are playing this abysmal long ball game. I thought he did really well to adapt his game as best he could in all honesty.

Ran when he had the ball, but fuck all else imo. He just strikes me as a much shitter Robert so far.

Not a winger, looks much more dangerous when played behind the striker, his pace frightens CB's.. most would be overjoyed to see him out wide where he can't run at them.

Ro many times tonight he lost the ball and made no effort to win it back..

Someone should tell him to have a look at Sammy. Move into space - receive the ball - attack the defender(s).

I love that about Sammy. He's always willing to give it a go.

At this point in time he doesn't even look like an upgrade on Routledge, never mind Joey Barton.

I agree but as I implied in the other thread (despite my annoyance at us buying him in the first place) this wouldn't have been as much of a problem if he'd been brought in as part of the squad.  Instead he's being asked to put together a run of games, as first choice, for the first time in his entire career as far as I know. 

In other words it would have been fine if he was Routledge's replacement and Barton stayed, or Barton was adequately replaced.  As it stands I have my fingers crossed about the likes of Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Gosling, because I sure as fuck don't want Obertan starting every game for us.

At this point in time he doesn't even look like an upgrade on Routledge, never mind Joey Barton.

He looked far better IMO. Not his fault that Pardew doesn't know how to assemble a team or even pick a style of play then execute it with the players available.

It's too early to say but so far I don't see a better player, in fact I see a lot of the same things in the two players.  They are both fast and both fail to get past defenders when they should piss it.

It's too early to say but so far I don't see a better player, in fact I see a lot of the same things in the two players.  They are both fast and both fail to get past defenders when they should p*ss it.

obertan has won more ball than routledge did....may be cause we let them have more in the first place.

He was clearly far from the finished article when we bought him, so I suppose we've got to give him more pitch time and more patience than he got at ManYoo and see if there is a player in there to go with the attributes. Its not the easiest thing to do. With Newcastle too, they'll not be many games where we're in a comfortable enough position just to give someone a game.

Obviously the best way to bring get young players up to Premiership speed is to loan them to someone else and get them to do the donkey work. See Cleverly, Sturridge, and Wellbeck to see how this works.