NUFC v Arsenal - 13/8/11 - 5.30pm - Live on ESPN - MATCH ON

Fatwax

Why would Best start? It'll be Ameobi.

Can't see Barton playing either.

Unfortunately, you're bang on. There is a slight positive to Barton not playing though, if Gervinho starts on the left we all know what Simpson will do. If Jonas starts on the right, I'll feel more comfortable with that extra defensive protection.

Rather our best players just played but that's just typically us.

We have a real chance if Pieters is here by Saturday.

We'll have no chance without him tbf. Gervinho vs Raylor or Perch... :weep:

Exactly, that was my point. Absolutely imperative.

Most definitely.

Disagree. One man does not a team make. Won't make it any easier, but "no chance" against half of Arsenal is going a bit too far.

We won games with two-three of Ramage, Huntington, Taylor and Edgar involved in the defence. We drew 2-2 at home to Man Utd with a back four of Solano, Taylor, Edgar and Huntington, for example, and beat Spurs away with Solano, Ramage, Taylor and Huntington... plus Pattison in midfield...

Keep the faith. :thup:

Always good to remember how poor it got in parts under Shepherd, btw, for all those who keep saying these are the worst of times (not saying you three do that, not at all.)

It was Solano, Taylor, Huntington, Edgar :shifty:

Of course, sorry, big Dave scored after marauding up from left-back. :thup:

So what the hell are they going to play?

Szczesny

Sagna  Koscielny  Djourou  Traore

Lansbury  Song             

Gervinho    Ramsey    Rosicky       

Chamakh

This? :lol:

Reckon RvP and Arshavin will be fit.

RVP fit?  :nope:

Is Diaby alive?

RvP seems to be about 50/50 after a bit of digging. Diaby is out for 10 weeks.

Jonas will blatantly be on the left.

Debatable imo. Barton not playing means Jonas and Marveaux will play, I don't think Pardew sees Gosling as a wideman at all despite his Everton days. The last time they started together, Jonas was right and Marveaux was left iirc, can see it being the same again.

(Sorry, the only time they've ever played together).

Unfortunately, you're bang on. There is a slight positive to Barton not playing though, if Gervinho starts on the left we all know what Simpson will do. If Jonas starts on the right, I'll feel more comfortable with that extra defensive protection.

Simpson is ten times the defender Ryan Taylor is though. Whoever plays left back is going to need more cover.

I think both Gosling and Obertan will be ahead of Marveaux in line for a start, to be honest. Hopefully it's just Barton though, so there's no issue.

Jonas has looked lively in pre-season and he ended last season strongly, I don't see any reason to shift him from the left just yet, but he's going to need to keep that level up and then some to keep his place from here on out - barring his competition getting crocked again, of course.

Simpson is ten times the defender Ryan Taylor is though. Whoever plays left back is going to need more cover.

Fair enough. It's all down to weighing up the lesser of 2 evils, either way, we seem to have snookered ourselves even if Pieters comes in.

Guest teepee

i reckon that we'll play only ba up front tbh - and i wont mind it either - a solid three man centre and then two wingers for support

(regarding defenders, then i hope taylor starts ahead of williamson)

I've got a sneaky feeling Barton will start in a midfield three.

Yeah me too think I would rather see two working either side of Ba then Ameobi or a Best alongside him, playing 4-3-2-1 also allows Tiote to give a bit more deeper protection in front of the back four while giving Barton and Cabaye more chance to make more forward runs and pick passes for Obertan, Marveaux and Ba.

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Coloccini  Enrique

Tiote

Barton  Cabaye

Obertan      Marveaux

Ba

wouldn't mind seeing that till a good enough striker comes in or Ben Arfa is back although Hatem could also come in and work playing off the side of Ba with either Obertan, Marveaux.